IPBFacebook

POSTS MADE TO THIS FORUM ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE AUTHOR AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF PILOTS FOR 911 TRUTH
FOR OFFICIAL PILOTS FOR 9/11 TRUTH STATEMENTS AND ANALYSIS, PLEASE VISIT PILOTSFOR911TRUTH.ORG

DIGITAL DOWNLOADS

WELCOME - PLEASE REGISTER OR LOG IN FOR FULL FORUM ACCESS ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Learning How To Be Free: An Invitation, from a painter

lunk
post Oct 29 2008, 03:58 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 875

Personality can exist without conscious memory.
I've seen it before,
memory fades but the personality and the character,
still remain.
I've also heard the statement that mountains will rise and crumble.
seas will rise and evaporate to nothing , but people don't change.

So, I think that there is a unique force, to, and inside, each individual,
that remains constant at least life long, that leaves here, after that.

English is a difficult language to find words for this kind of topic.

That force is our essence, and it is no different in potential than anyone elses.
I think that although the potential being the same, is often explained as us, being
all the same, or one, and that, I think, is untrue.

...and this may be at the heart of the entire situation.

If one can be convinced that they are not a whole to themselves
and only a fraction to the entire population,
their potential is vastly diminished,
allowing for someone else to do the dividing.

imo, lunk

my mind is wandering again
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dMz
post Oct 29 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 2,294

QUOTE (painter @ Oct 27 2008, 12:26 PM) *
(Thanks for the complements, by the way, but I kinda wish people would let go of that. I'm just a guy. Like everyone, I have my pluses and minuses, my ups and downs.)

Yup, you're an ornery old bastard painter! laughing1.gif Just kidding- but I had to take that one (and some might consider that a compliment coming from me). wink.gif

+Quote Post
Christophera
post Oct 30 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #23

Group: Active Forum Pilot
Member No.: 2,482

QUOTE (dMole @ Oct 27 2008, 11:03 PM) *
Yup, you're an ornery old bastard painter! laughing1.gif Just kidding- but I had to take that one (and some might consider that a compliment coming from me). wink.gif

You mean he knows how to start a thread difficult to stay on topic with, or, .... a thread which is dificult to define the topic of. A challenge is a good thing! Particuarly in this area of knowing ourselves, our humanity and its potentials or extents.

lunk posts a point which I recognize.

QUOTE (lunk @ Oct 27 2008, 06:58 PM) *
Personality can exist without conscious memory.
I've seen it before,
memory fades but the personality and the character,
still remain.

The phylogenetic DNA is of the unconscious. Patterns of response based on stimuli that have nothing to do with the present and are a compilation of past experiences encoded into our ancestors by their life experiences and perhaps carried into the ether (see link below as to "how carried") to be reactivated/returned to existence by the compatibility/similarity of our genetic structure to that of our ancestors.

English is a difficult language to find words for this kind of topic.

I've considered that english was derived/developed from its base in order to prevent finding words on this topic. Kidding!

If we were shaman sitting in a cave 10,000 years ago, we would have less problems inventing the words we needed while being in agreement of the definitions. Most of those people were hunted down and exterminated, prevented from speaking their languages.

That force is our essence, and it is no different in potential than anyone elses.
I think that although the potential being the same, is often explained as us, being
all the same, or one, and that, I think, is untrue.

...and this may be at the heart of the entire situation.

If one can be convinced that they are not a whole to themselves
and only a fraction to the entire population,
their potential is vastly diminished,
allowing for someone else to do the dividing.

imo, lunk

my mind is wandering again

There may be more than one intrinsic force. One which is just the carrier of the other. The other is an individual energy riding on the force of life.

I've considered that basic force as "mitogenetic radiation". In the way I've presented it here, our individualality would be inherited and encoded upon our life. That life provides us a connection to a universal whole and represents a way and opportunity for certain mixing of intention and knowledg into our individual exsitences.

http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.com/arti...itogenetic.html

Gurwitsch's work, like that of his great Ukrainian-Russian scientific contemporary Vernadsky, was a direct outgrowth of the work of Louis Pasteur, and ultimately of Kepler and Leibniz. Exactly for that reason, it was systematically suppressed; both in the West—where the Rockefeller Foundation directly targetted Gurwitsch's and related work from the late 1920s on, as a threat to its promotion of reductionist "molecular biology"—and, to a somewhat lesser extent, in the Soviet Union itself.

Ironically, we see that the main economic proponent of the WTC was involved with supression of the knowledge.

This post has been edited by Christophera: Oct 30 2008, 01:25 PM

+Quote Post
Sanders
post Oct 30 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 49

QUOTE (Christophera @ Nov 3 2008, 12:21 PM) *
... a thread which is difficult to define the topic of. A challenge is a good thing!

Good observation.

Painter's been talking about this stuff about as long as I've been rambling on about my dragon-blood-line. laugh.gif

I'll admit, I read a few posts however-long back and didn't really connect with the content. But I've been thinking about this more, and it occurred to me that my own personal experience in learning Japanese relates directly to this thread ... so I thought I'd "share".

(I put that word in parenthesis because I abhor it so ... but I suppose it's well suited here.)

Japanese and English are so totally different in structure that one cannot think in one language and talk in the other - it's just not possible beyond a pre-school level of speech. In order to speak in Japanese, one must learn to think in Japanese.

When I first came to Japan and had been studying a while, I became friends with a guy who spoke both languages fluently, and I was bothering him constantly with questions .... "how to you say this in Japanese???". Often his response was, "hmmmm, hmmmm, you don't really ever say that in Japanese. Nope, you can't really translate that."

That happened over and over, and I began to think Japanese was a sucky language, with no depth. But I was in Japan, so I learned it anyway.

Years later, after I was more or less fluent, my Japanese friends would often ask me, "hey, how do you say this in English???". And I would respond, "hmmmm, hmmmm, you don't really ever say that in English. Nope, you can't really translate that."

The point is, the two languages are squewed - there are areas that don't intersect. In order to understand certain words, you have to experience their meanings - I'm talking about experiences/feelings/meanings that are well understood in one culture - enough to require a word to describe it - but not in another. I'm sure this is true for any comparison of two languages/cultures, but I can't imagine any two that are more different than Japanese and English.

(BTW - many are aware that the Japanese incorporate a lot of English words into their language - that is true .... but it's no help! They call a convertible an "open-car" ... first time I heard that I thought someone forgot to lock their car-door!)

Anyway ....

As I became proficient in Japanese, I noticed there were two me's. The Japanese language, with its crazy obsession with politeness levels and protocol, rendered a new "me" who thought in Japanese and was somewhat different than the "me" that thought and talked in English. I know this for a fact because I felt it, it was very disturbing, and, when Japanese friends witnessed me hanging out with English speakers they always commented that I appeared to be a different person. It took years to integrate the two "me's".

It made me painfully aware of how interlocked the language we think in, and what we think, and who we "think" we are, are interlocked. Language is a half-@ss attempt at a common system of communication that everyone can understand ... the downside is, we think in words, and are unable to think of things that those "set" words and phrases can't already describe. I know this because I have learned new "meanings" - connected to experiences. that are not readily expressible in the English language. There is a Japanese character, pronounced "En", which when you say it in Japan everyone knows exactly what you are talking about, yet it would take a whole paragraph (or a page for that matter) to explain it in an English dictionary.

To think without words? Seems difficult - if not impossible - but potentially liberating to what degree I can't imagine. My experiences with the two languages, and the fact that I work in music, which is a sort of "geometric" language in and all to itself, makes me think that, while more than likely unattainable, it's the right direction to point toward. Words, after all, are inventions - and while they can be incredibly useful for communication, they also limit the range of thought ... I wouldn't call language a prison, and I think freedom and beauty and all that sort of stuff can probably best be found within the confines of a defined medium .... but thinking without using a pre-determined and sometimes woefully inadequate (as I found out learning a very different language) system of words to form thoughts ... is something I'm very interested in.

+Quote Post
Christophera
post Oct 31 2008, 04:31 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (Sanders @ Oct 28 2008, 07:17 PM) *
It made me painfully aware of how interlocked the language we think in, and what we think, and who we "think" we are, are interlocked. Language is a half-@ss attempt at a common system of communication that everyone can understand ... the downside is, we think in words, and are unable to think of things that those "set" words and phrases can't already describe. I know this because I have learned new "meanings" - connected to experiences. that are not readily expressible in the English language.

Yes, another very important aspect. The meanings of the sounds. Their origins. Phylogenetic reponses comprise at least a part of what could be seen as learned, or "awakening" behaviors, that bring a phylogenetic set of responses that are emotional and visceral.

Good characterization of the different mental handles and containers comprising language over time. Very important.

Consider that there is the possibility that english has a hidden usage within a sabotaged gramatical structure. I do not seem to do well with grammatical rules so I can't discuss this at length with regard to technical grammer.
However, the individual who introduced me to PLENIPOTENTIARY-JUDGE :David-Wynn :Miller has used these techniques successfully in traffic court. Essentially they thought he was a nut at first, he was asked to plead and he used a very interesting phrase that made him a witness rather than the accused. The judge said, "I guess that means your not guilty then?". The later subpoenaed cop showed up and my freind was found guilty. He paid a fine and a fee for appeal but never made the appeal. After about 4 months all of the money was returned with a notice saying the charges had been dismissed.

Here is David-Wynn :Miller's site,

http://dwmlc.com/

And a sample of what is proposed for language that may have some of the missing aspects. This is serious legalese in an already hyper purified grammatical structure that seems to qualify the language itself while demonstrating its mathematical relation. I don't get that part, but somehow the way the words hit home seems to feel more real.

~12 FOR THESE FICTIONAL-MODIFICATIONS OF THESE FACTS ARE WITH THESE CLAIMS OF THE FICTIONAL-LANGUAGE-FORMAT=NO-CONTRACT-WRITINGS WITH THE MODIFICATION OF THE NOUNS=NO-NO WITH THE ADVERB-SYNTAX=MODIFIER, ADJECTIVE-SYNTAX=COLOR AND WITH THE SINGLE-WORD=PRONOUN-SYNTAX=NO-NO-NO, OR ADVERB-ADJEVTIVE-PRONOUN-SYNTAX, WITH THE VOIDING OF A POSITIONAL-LODIO-FACT-PHRASE[PREPOSITIONAL-PHRASE], WITH THESE ADVERB-VERB-AILING-FICTION-COMMUNICATION-SYNTAX OR ADVERB-ADJECTIVE-PRONOUN-AILING-FICTIONAL-COMMUNICATION-SYNTAX. 1>2, 4<1>2, 3<>4<1>3<>4, 3>3<>4, 4<1<>1>3<>4 :NOTE: NUMBERS ARE USED AS A SPACE-SAVING-OPERATION

Below is another passage from another page. As you can see, the structure can be understandable. Notice the very clear basic thought that a "trial" is practice. The origins of the words we use are not as clearly known as we might think.

~6 FOR THESE EVIDENCE-FACTS IN A TRIAL ARE WITH THE CLAIM OF THE EXPERIMENT WITH THE THOUGHT-PROCESS OF THE THINKING-PERSON. FOR THE WORD "TRIAL" IS WITH THE TERM="EXPERIMENT" OR PRACTICE FOR THE LACK OF THE KNOWLEDGE-FACTS, THINKING OF THE MIND IS FOR THE CAUSING OF THE REASONING OF THE MOTION. HENCE: CAUSE AND EFFECT.

If we were speaking Japanese, at least somebody would know what we are saying, but noooooooooo, we speak english.

+Quote Post
lunk
post Oct 31 2008, 08:25 AM
Post #26

Group Icon

It's interesting that information between computers is binary.
It takes a lot of 0s and 1s to say hello. When I read the side of the box of cereal,
it's written in English and French, here in Canada.
The French always takes up much more room on the label than English, saying the same thing.
Binary has 2 "words", English has 200 000 words, we would need the side of a barn to write out the ingredients for that same box of cereal, in readable size binary.
The more words in a language, the fewer words needed to say something.
Now, someone in India figured out that if you take the number of colours recognized by the scanner, and printed by a printer, something like 16000, and multiply that by the number of smallest, recognizable shapes possible, you get a language that has millions of "words" in the form of a picture, printed on paper. Using this method, it is possible to store the binary data from a large hard drive on a single sheet of paper. Now considering the number of photos that can be stored on a hard drive, it seems entirely possible to me that mass storage of tetra bites could be stored on a small MB thumb drive, as it is no longer a question of lots of storage room, but just the processing power to "read" it.

The method of storing data in pictures is called rainbow storage.

imo, lunk

+Quote Post
dMz
post Oct 31 2008, 03:14 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

Not to completely derail painter's thread, but lunk just brushed against 3 very fascinating subjects:

Quantum computers (still officially theoretical, or are they "classified"?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer

Steganography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography

The human subconscious mind is arguably both of the above (and many other things).

+Quote Post
Christophera
post Nov 2 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (painter @ Oct 16 2008, 12:51 AM) *
First I am inviting you to engage with me and one another in some discussion here about this topic. However, I am very aware that discussion of this topic is by necessity limited so long as it remains nothing more than discussion. To go further requires something more of us: Specifically a willingness to engage in exercises and experiments which can begin to move us beyond mere discussion into the realm of actual experience and knowledge based upon that experience.

Who or what we really are matters. How we know matters. Take this logic for example of why.

If we, as mental beings are approximately 86% unconscious and spend 1/3 of our lives in an unconscious state; return with no conscious awareness of it; is it irresponsible for us to not become adept at knowing at least something about the unconscious useful in determining how much of our conscious existence and control over our behaviors is unconscious.

Would this apply moreso, particuarly, when we, as a group, don't seem to be able to discern WHY some things that we do not want to happen, are supposed to have safeguards are hapenning more and more?

+Quote Post
dMz
post Nov 2 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

I suppose that time, linearity, and a definition of "perception" are waaay off topic here then? [Those are only 3 tiny little words after all... wink.gif ] [Unfortunately, Painter is having "technical difficulties" through the electronic grapevine]

+Quote Post
GroundPounder
post Nov 9 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #30

Group: Extreme Forum Pilot
Member No.: 315

alright painter, you piqued my curiousity.

what do you mean by reading? are we talking reading minds, tea leaves, body language or the standard left brained symbol interpretation stuff? or are you soliciting our thoughts on the word 'read' and what it means to us?

+Quote Post
lunk
post Nov 10 2008, 01:40 AM
Post #31

Group Icon

Ooh, hey,
my hand's up, I got the answer,
can I answer GP,
Painter,
please?

I think this is what painter means by learning to read.

cheers, lunk

+Quote Post
painter
post Nov 10 2008, 04:18 AM
Post #32

∞* M E R C U R I A L *∞

Group: Respected Member
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (GroundPounder @ Nov 9 2008, 03:38 PM) *
alright painter, you piqued my curiousity.

what do you mean by reading? are we talking reading minds, tea leaves, body language or the standard left brained symbol interpretation stuff? or are you soliciting our thoughts on the word 'read' and what it means to us?

I see friend lunk can barely contain himself, so excited is he to have 'the answer'. wink.gif

He is right to some extent to suggest through his punctuated poetry that in this thread I'm taking on a role somewhat like a teacher. There is something I'm hoping everyone here will begin to learn. As has been pointed out up thread "reading" comprehension isn't it. I am asking people to bring me something, an honest observation of themselves. I've phrased the question several different ways but, so far, people have been cautious. This is somewhat understandable. This is a little different than our usual back-and-forth. This isn't about sharing our thoughts and opinions, however clever or silly they may be. That is happening, obviously, but that isn't what I'm looking for.

At this moment as I write these words I'm trying something. After that last period I paused for a bit waiting to see what words would come next. These did. In the moments when I pause between sentences and stare blankly at the blinking insert bar, I intentionally relax a little bit and allow the significance of words in my head to subside. I'm intentionally altering the focus of my attention, redistributing it, you might say. I stop. I sense my breathing, the temperature of the air on my hands. Sometimes I close my eyes so as to not be distracted by the energy pouring in through them. But even with my eyes closed, I don't stop looking. I just 'look' at 'looking' with my eyes closed and, at the same time, broaden my awareness of my physical body. I notice that it is a bit more difficult to sustain this awareness of 'myself' and simultaneously compose and type out sentences. The hands seem to know how to type fairly well (I'm a fast typist), so they don't require much attention. The connection between them and what else is going on in my head, the way thoughts form and get translated into energy that can move my muscles and tap out these words on my keyboard is quite mysterious. But what fascinates me is that there is this possibility of being more aware of myself as I do things. If I only read these words and think about them, however, without also making this effort to broaden the focus of my attention as I read and write here in this thread, then nothing will be gained.

+Quote Post
The artful dodge...
post Nov 10 2008, 10:27 AM
Post #33

Group: Student Forum Pilot
Member No.: 3,237

Fantastic thread... many thanks for posting.

Isn't it interesting to see a discussion of "reading" when that term is taken (I hope!!) to reach beyond words and search for that certain something that we all are has descended into a discussion of the semantics of language - or perhaps I miss the point entirely!!

However, the talk of the semantics of language itself is fascinating. I have always viewed language as something of a tyranny that restricts true expression and yet also as a liberation as some communication may be better than none although there is a school of thought suggesting that the development of language was the death of who and what we are and the very beginning of the kind of control we so enjoy today!

Sorry for the ramble but I shall try to end with an attempted answer to a question posed earlier... I have no idea who I am, I feel that the thing that I am is constrained by a lifetime of influences, language and culture to the extent that the 'me' that is has become so deeply buried that I rarely get to see it...

+Quote Post
dMz
post Nov 10 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #34

Group Icon

TAD just reminded me of an excellent book that was actually "required liberal ed reading" at University so many years ago:

Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct

http://www.amazon.com/Language-Instinct-St...r/dp/0060976519

That was arguably hands-down the best "required book" I ever encountered in college.

This one looks interesting too in this context (although I haven't read it yet):

http://www.amazon.com/How-Mind-Works-Steve.../ref=pd_sim_b_2

+Quote Post
painter
post Nov 11 2008, 03:52 AM
Post #35

∞* M E R C U R I A L *∞

You probably noticed that I changed this topic's title from "Learning how to read" to "Learning how to be free." Personally, I like the first title better but it seems people are getting caught up in the "read" part of it when, as I've said, to me the important part is the "learning". In any case, let me state from the start that there is no difference: A man who is not free does not know how to read.

I want to point everyone to a recent thread by Lasthorseman which expresses two things relevant to the topic at hand. Within it he quotes at some length another author who is talking about the multitude of "veils" through which one must pass to achieve genuine freedom. Moreover, within his OP, Lasthorseman gives at least two examples of at least relative, if momentary, "freedom". That is, examples of a quality of self awareness within which he knew something, understood something, about himself. He did not read this in any book.

By passing through the 9/11 looking glass, all of us here have arrived at a certain understanding about the true nature of our relationship to the social environment within which we find ourselves: We are not free. Or, put differently, we are "free" relatively, within limits -- most of which remain invisible to us. We are all conditioned by and dependent upon a complex social system over which we have limited control and possibly even less understanding. Having passed through this looking glass, however, we now find ourselves looking at the world and ourselves in it quite differently than we did before. Where before, perhaps, if someone were to have pointed out to us that we are not free, we might not have believed them, might have derided them as "crazy" and might have pointed to any number of examples as evidence that we are, in fact, free. But now that sense of more or less certainty has vanished and we find ourselves in a kind of prison populated primarily with fellow inmates who have little to no knowledge of their confines or jailers and, consequently, have little or no interest in insurrection, much less escape.

The possibility of escape is what I'm attempting to offer. But I'm full aware, as each of you should be by now, that a man can not escape a prison he does not see. What I have to offer is the "red pill" that shows us just how deep the rabbit hole goes. Shows us, if you will, that the prison is not only something "out there" in the world of events and bogus Illuminati: It is within us. And none of us can escape this prison who has not seen it and tried to pry apart the bars.

There is a way out, however, because "freedom" is our birthright. The incarceration that we share is not natural to us and, deep, deep within, somehow we know this -- that "splinter in the mind" that keeps us searching for a "truth" that can not be spoken, only known.

PS: If thought and habit are the cinder blocks and the bars, attention is the key.

+Quote Post
dMz
post Nov 11 2008, 06:20 AM
Post #36

Group Icon

I wouldn't say I'm "caught up" in that word painter- it's just a really good f*cking book- I thought I'd share with y'all. wink.gif Meanwhile, back on topic...

I've freed myself of many things. I don't think mine is the path, method, means or ??? for most however.

+Quote Post
GroundPounder
post Nov 11 2008, 07:28 AM
Post #37

Group: Extreme Forum Pilot
Member No.: 315

saw the new title, thought it was a new topic...excellent

plato's cave -> the matrix -> the eight veils

has anybody read 'a course in miracles' or 'the disappearance of the universe' ?

+Quote Post
Sanders
post Nov 11 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #38

Group Icon

Member No.: 49

I don't care which title ...

But the action of changing it was as thought provoking as anything in the thread. How to read - how to be free. Call it my own bias struggling with a bizzare language, "thinking" detached from words is a real challenge. They say that learning your 3rd, 4th, 5th language is much easier than your 2nd. I can't say personally, but I know a guy who speaks (fluently) 11 or 12. He's working on numbers 13 and 14 at the moment - just cause he's bored. An Indian (i.e. from India) guy actually - I talked to him about this, about the ability to think in concepts without the attachment of specific words. He assured me it gets easier as one learns more languages ... and that when he thinks of a concept, he sees it in his mind in various languages, but more as an image.

I was horrible at French ... I tried so hard to learn it. But Japanese, which they say is supposed to be really hard, was easy for me. Go figure! ... But, there's a reason, I'm good with images, not words. The Japanese language is based on characters - every word has an associated character - usually with 2 (or more) pronunciations - but a specific meaning. Once you can connect the image to the meaning, you can usually guess the pronunciation. I found this process easy, and I jumped right into learning the characters - I suppose that's why I was able to learn Japanese much more quickly than French. They say that it's a right-brain, left-brain thing, that Asian languages are more suited to right-brain people, Latin-languages to left. I believe it, cause I'm one of those (to a fault) "lefties" (right-brain).

I'm rambling on about this, because its part of my daily life, and I connect to this topic in this way in a concrete sense. But really, in my own opinion, this is all (what "all" means is up to you) a very personal journey. And there are no short cuts ... and there is no "goal" per-se, the goal is always just out of reach - but you reach and you find yourself reaching for the next new level of understanding in a week or a month or a year ... and its all about thinking out of the box - or, should I say, out of 'your own' box. The "box" is the matrix, the reality you have imprinted (allowed to be imprinted) in your head. New ideas can take you outside of your box, you walk around out there a little bit, you reject it or you embrace it, or something in-between, but the important thing is to walk around outside of the box.

Ahhh, life is, ultimately, about taking risks. The more, the greater risks one takes, the fuller one's life becomes - whether they succeed or fail ... because failure actually is the best part - it is from failure that we learn the most. But the risks we take in the way we THINK are the safest of all risks, yet the ones least explored.

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

...If you don't know who wrote that, you suck. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
painter
post Nov 11 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #39

∞* M E R C U R I A L *∞

QUOTE (GroundPounder @ Nov 11 2008, 03:28 AM) *
saw the new title, thought it was a new topic...excellent

plato's cave -> the matrix -> the eight veils

... the traditional teachings ... make a fundamental distinction between consciousness on the one hand and the contents of consciousness such as our perceptions of things, our sense of personal identity, our emotions and our thoughts in all their color and gradations on the other hand.

This ancient distinction has two crucial messages for us. On the one hand, it tell us that what we feel to be the best of ourselves as human beings is only part of a total structure containing layers of mind, feeling and sensation far more active, subtle and encompassing (like the cosmic spheres) than what we have settled for as our best. These lawyers are very numerous and need to be peeled back, as it were, or broken through one by one along the path of inner growth, until an individual touches in himself the fundamental intelligent forces in the cosmos.

At the same time, this distinction also communicates that the search for consciousness is a constant necessity for man. It is telling us that anything in ourselves, no matter how fine, subtle or intelligent, no matter how virtuous or close to reality, no matter how still or violent--any action, any thought, any intuition or experience--immediately absorbs all our attention and automatically becomes transformed into contents around which gather all the opinions, feelings and distorted sensations that are the supports of our secondhand sense of identity. In short, we are told that the evolution of consciousness is always "vertical" to the constant (horizontal or time bound) stream of mental, emotional and sensory associations within the human organism, and comprehensive of them (somewhat like a "fourth dimension"). And, seen in this light, it is not really a question of concentric layers of awareness embedded like the skins of an onion within the self, but only one skin, one veil, that constantly forms regardless of the quality or intensity of the psychic field at any given moment.

Jacob Needleman, A Sense of the Cosmos, pp 20, 22.

+Quote Post
painter
post Nov 11 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #40

∞* M E R C U R I A L *∞

QUOTE (Sanders @ Nov 11 2008, 08:59 AM) *
... "thinking" detached from words is a real challenge ...

I understand why you would say this for it certainly seems to be true. But is it? The word "imagination" references the ability to see in the mind what is not present to the eyes; we have no equivalent single word for "imagining the sound of one's own voice". When I imagine my own voice in my head, I 'think' I'm 'thinking'; but am I? Look at it and study it for yourself -- observe for yourself what is actually going on rather than what you've read or been told or lead to believe. Can I suspend this internal monologue? What happens when I just "am aware" without the habitual tendency to describe or translate or compare?

I'm rambling on about this, because its part of my daily life, and I connect to this topic in this way in a concrete sense. But really, in my own opinion, this is all (what "all" means is up to you) a very personal journey. And there are no short cuts ... and there is no "goal" per-se, the goal is always just out of reach - but you reach and you find yourself reaching for the next new level of understanding in a week or a month or a year ... and its all about thinking out of the box - or, should I say, out of 'your own' box. The "box" is the matrix, the reality you have imprinted (allowed to be imprinted) in your head. New ideas can take you outside of your box, you walk around out there a little bit, you reject it or you embrace it, or something in-between, but the important thing is to walk around outside of the box.

Yes. Only one caution: It isn't only about "thinking". The habits which imprison us are not only matters of ideation; there are also habits of the physical body and the emotions. What there seldom is is a direct observation, without judgement or criticism (which is also habitual), of the depth of these habits. Just seeing: "Such is so."

To understand any of this we have to learn to "pay attention" in a new way.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2019 - 09:17 AM