IPBFacebook

POSTS MADE TO THIS FORUM ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE AUTHOR AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF PILOTS FOR 911 TRUTH
FOR OFFICIAL PILOTS FOR 9/11 TRUTH STATEMENTS AND ANALYSIS, PLEASE VISIT PILOTSFOR911TRUTH.ORG

DIGITAL DOWNLOADS

WELCOME - PLEASE REGISTER OR LOG IN FOR FULL FORUM ACCESS ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kucinich Drafts Legislation To Ban Guns, Unbelievable

DemolitionCrew
post Apr 20 2007, 09:44 AM
Post #1

Vermontbound

Group: Newbie
Member No.: 73

nonono.gif

http://kucinich.house.gov/News/DocumentSin...ocumentID=62819

Kucinich Offers Comprehensive Plan to Address Violence in America
The Level of Violence in Society Constitutes a National Emergency; Hand Gun Law Prepared

Washington, Apr 18 - WASHINGTON, D.C. (April 18) — In the aftermath of Monday’s deadly shooting in Blacksburg, Virginia, Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) is proposing a comprehensive, three-point plan to deal with the violence plaguing America, including a ban on handguns.

“The tragic events in Blacksburg, Virginia which took 33 lives are not an isolated example of the effects of gun violence in America. In fact, about 32 people perish each and every day in America in hand gun related incidents,” Kucinich said in a speech to Congress today.

“It is becoming painfully obvious that the easy availability of handguns constituents a growing national crisis of public health and safety, one that calls for a powerful, wide-ranging response from Congress.

“The level of violence in our society constitutes a national emergency. I’m offering an approach to change America’s direction away from death and disintegration and toward life and social cohesiveness.”

Already this Congress, Kucinich has introduced HR 808 and HR 676—two bills that directly relate to the events of Blacksburg.  HR 808, legislation to establish a Department of Peace and Nonviolence, addresses the issue of domestic violence, gang violence, and violence in the schools, which is reflected in the current homicide rates. HR 808 has 62 cosponsors.

“The bill provides hope for a transformation through education of our children in principles of nonviolence and support for existing community groups and professionals whose dedication would be empowered by a national commitment to peace and nonviolence,” Kucinich said.

A recent study indicates that many perpetrators of murder had histories of mental illness. The lack of parity for mental healthcare remains one of the most serious deficiencies in healthcare in the United States – the system has long been lacking in substantive support of mental health. HR 676, Medicare for All, would establish a universal not-for-profit healthcare system, which would provide full and comprehensive mental healthcare. More than 14,000 physicians support HR 676 and it is cosponsored by 63 Members of Congress.

Kucinich is currently drafting legislation that would ban the purchase, sale, transfer, or possession of handguns by civilians. A gun buy-back provision will be included in the bill.

“America is being engulfed in violence every day. Let’s show them we have the wisdom and the courage to come from our hearts to meet this challenge,” Kucinich said.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
waterdancer
post Apr 20 2007, 10:09 AM
Post #2

Polymeta.com search Sibel Edmonds bradblog

Group: Library team
Member No.: 77

Hey, as long as he ain't bannin' Uzis and crack, who cares, right?

+Quote Post
UnderTow
post Apr 20 2007, 10:12 AM
Post #3

Group: Respected Member
Member No.: 19

bigun.gif 177558.gif
cop.gif argue.gif
guillotine.gif

WHAT A LOAD OF S H I T

That said, the wording in this article does not entirely implicate DK. His on the record bills sound worthy. And this bill which has yet to be drafted and apparently may contain total civilian handgun banning... Well, when I read/hear it come out of his mouth, I'll be hard pressed not to punch him in that mouth (virtually).

Note the placement of quotes and non quotes.
It is very possible this is reaction test bait.

=-UT

+Quote Post
jo56
post Apr 20 2007, 10:39 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 321

Have they now gotten to Dennis too? or is he just clueless that he is falling right into their trap? OBVIOUSLY!

angry.gif

+Quote Post
DemolitionCrew
post Apr 20 2007, 10:53 AM
Post #5

Vermontbound

QUOTE (UnderTow @ Apr 20 2007, 09:12 AM)
bigun.gif 177558.gif
cop.gif argue.gif
guillotine.gif

WHAT A LOAD OF S H I T

That said, the wording in this article does not entirely implicate DK. His on the record bills sound worthy. And this bill which has yet to be drafted and apparently may contain total civilian handgun banning... Well, when I read/hear it come out of his mouth, I'll be hard pressed not to punch him in that mouth (virtually).

Note the placement of quotes and non quotes.
It is very possible this is reaction test bait.

=-UT

UT

The article is directly from his Congressional website. Someone please hand UT his virtual boxing gloves. doh1.gif

+Quote Post
jo56
post Apr 20 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #6

Dammit, I'm so tired of Congressmen who don't get it. angry.gif

I just called Kucinich office and then followed it up with a fax about this.

I told him basically myself and a group of people had been supporting him for President in 2008, but will no longer be doing so if he introduces this legislation.

I told him this was an OVERREACTION to what happened in Virginia and exactly what those behind the scenes want - TAKING OF ANOTHER ONE OF OUR FREEDOMS.

Told him much more.

Also asked him to watch the KAY GRIGGS video, or someone on his staff, as this is what he should be WRITING LEGISLATION FOR - THINGS THAT CAN start to turn this country around, not another infringement on our liberties.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

This post has been edited by jo56: Apr 20 2007, 11:40 AM

+Quote Post
UnderTow
post Apr 20 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #7

I know. ... I really wanted to get more smilies in there smile.gif

+Quote Post
jo56
post Apr 20 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (UnderTow @ Apr 20 2007, 10:42 AM)
I know. ... I really wanted to get more smilies in there smile.gif

I talked to a Kenneth at that same number.

+Quote Post
André
post Apr 20 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 133

I guess I just don't get it too... dunno.gif here is a few firearm statistics

Children and Guns

* Every day in America, 13 young people ages 19 and under are killed in gun homicides, suicides and unintentional shootings. www.handguncontrol.org
* In 1995, 3.280 children and teenagers were murdred with guns, 1,450 commited suicide with guns, and 440 died in unintentional shootings. Firearms killed a total of 5,285 of our young people. National Center for Health Statistics. 1997
* In 1994, about 70% of the murder victims ages 15-17 years old were killed with a handgun. Bureau of Justicre Statistics, 1996
* Two in 25 high school students (7.9%) reported having carried a gun in the last 30 days. Centers for Disease Control, 1995
* Gunshot wounds are the second leading cause of death for all people aged 10-34. National Center for Health Statistics, 1993
* For every child killed by a gun, four are wounded. Annest, Journal of the American Medical Association, 1995
* "The firearm injury epidemic, due largely to handgun injuries, is ten times larger than the polio epidemic of the first half of this century."Christoffel, Children's Environments, 1995

Economic Costs of Gun Violence

* In 1992 the estimated cost in pain, suffering, lost quality of life, and loss of productivity due to gunshot violence was $113 billion. Miller, Textbook of Penetrating Trauma, 1995
* The estimated cost of direct health care expenditures for firearm-related injuries in the United States in 1995 was $4 billion. Kizer, Journal of American Medical Association, 1995
* In addition to the $4 bilion, $19 billion in additional indirect costs, such as lost potential earnings are reflected in the premiums paid for private health insurance, and as taxes through Medicaid. These costs often go unreimbursed. American College of Physicians, 1998
* The average total cost of a single gun-related crime can be as high as $268,000. Most of this cost is borne by the taxpayer. The Washington Post, 1997
* The total lifetime cost of a gun-related crime, including medical care, rehabilitation of the injured and incarceration of the assailant can run as high as $1,000,000. Again, most of this cost is borne by the taxpayer. The Washington Post, 1997
* Based on studies of two sample populations, at least 80% of the costs of firearms injuries are borne, directly or indirectly, by taxpayers. Wintemaute and Wright, Journal of Trauma, 1992
* The most serious firearm injuries, such as traumatic brain injury (TBI) and spinal cord injury (SCI) can require a lifetime of care and rehabilitative service costing upwards of $1,000,000 over the course of a patient's life. National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center (NSCISC), January 1998
* It cost more than $14,000 to treat each wounded by gunfire-enough to pay for a full year of college tuition. National Association of Children's Hospitals and Related Institutions, 1993
* The average estimated total cost (medical care, police services and lost productivity of east firearm fatality is $938,500. National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, 1998

Firearm Facts

* In 1997, 32,436 Americans were killed with firearms-in homicides, suicides and accidents. In comparison, 33,651 Americans were killed in the Korean War and 58,148 Americans were killed in the Vietnam War. National Center for Health Statistics, 1997
* Currently, an estimated 39% of households have a gun, while 24% have a handgun. The University of Chicago, 1998
* There are approximately 192 million privately owned firearms in the U.S. --65 million of which are handguns. Police Foundations, 1996
* Approximately 29% of adults personally own a firearm, and 18% personally own a handgun. The University of Chicago, 1998
* 1997, 32,436 people in the United States died from firearm-related deaths - 12,942 (40%) of those were murdered; 17,566 (54%) were suicides; 981 (3%) were accidents; and in 367 (1%) the intent was unknown. National Center for Health Statistics, 1997
* In 1998, 8 out of 10 of those murdered with firearms were murdered with handguns. FBI Uniform Crime Report, 1998
* In 1997, gunshot wounds were the second leading cause of injury death for men and women 10-24 years of age - second only to motor vehicle crashes. National Center for Health Statistics, 1999
* In 1997, the firearm injury death rate among males 15-24 years of age was 42% higher than the motor vehicle traffic injury death rate. National Center for Health Statistics, 1999
* In 1997, more than 11 children and teenagers, ages 19 and under, were killed with guns everyday. National Vital Statistics, 1998
* In 1998, 77% of murdered juveniles age 13-19 were killed with a firearm. Department of Justice, 1999
* From 1993 through 1997, an average of 1,409 children and teenagers took their own lives with guns each year. National Center for Health Statistics
* Each year during 1993 through 1997, an average of 1,621 murderers who had not reached their 18th birthdays took someone's life with a gun. Federal Bureau of Investigations
* In 1996, handguns were used to murder 2 people in New Zealand, 15 in Japan, 30 in Great Britain, 106 in Canada, 213 in Germany and 9,390 in the United States. FBI Uniform Crime Report, 1996

The Risk of Guns in the Home

* Over 35% of American households contain at least one firearm. Police Foundation, 1996
* One out of three handguns is kept loaded and unlocked in the home. Police Foundation, 1996
* Guns kept in the home for self-protection are 22 times more likely to kill someone you know than they are to kill in self-defense. Kellermann, New England Journal of Medicine, 1997
* The risk of homicide in the home is three times greater in households with guns. Kellermann, New England Journal of Medicine, 1993
* The risk of suicide is five times greater in households with guns. Kellermann, New England Journal of Medicine, 1992
* More than 1.2 million elementary-aged, latch-key children have access to guns in their homes. Lee, Journal of the American Medical Association, 1990
* In 60% of fatal accidents involving a firearms, the weapon was located in or near the home. National Association of Children's Hospitals and Related Institutions, 1993
* Currently, an estimated 39% of households have a firearm, while 24% have a handgun. University of Chicago, 1998
* Firearm assaults on family members and other intimate acquaintances are 12 times more lifely to result in death than are assaults using other weapons. Saltzman LE et al., Weapon Involvement and Injury Outcomes in Family and Intimate Assaults, 1997

Firearms and Youth Suicide

* In 1996, suicide was the ninth leading cause of death in the United States. Firearms were the number one cause of completed suicide attempts. National Vital Statistics Reports, 1998
* In 1996, suicide was the ninth leading cause of death in the United States. Firearms were the numbre one cause of complete suicide attempts. National Vital Statistics Reports, 1998
* For young people, 15-24 years old, suicide is the third leading cause of death, behind unintentionals injury and homicide. Centers for Disease Control, National Center for Health Statistics
* In 1997, more teenagers and young adults died from suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia, influenza and chronic lung disease combined. National Center for Health Statistics, 1994
* A youth aged 10-19 committed suicide with a gun every six hours in 1992 - 1,426 young people in one year. National Center for Health Statistics, 1994
* From 1980 to 1992, the suicide rate for 15-19 year-olds increased 28.3% and among 10-14 years-olds there was an increase of 120%. Centers for Disease Control, 1995
* For black males, aged 15-19, the suicide rate increased 165.3% from 1980 to 1992. Center for Disease Control, 1995
* The odds that potentially suicidal adolescents will kill themselves double when a gun is kept in the home. Brent, General Psychiatry, 1988
* Guns are the method used in 65% of male teen suicides and 47% of female teen suicides. National Center for Health Statistics, 1991
* Males aged 15-24 are more than 7 times as likely as their female peers to kill themselves with a gun. Center for Disease Control/National Vital Statistics Report, 1999
* Most teen suicides are impulsive, with little or no planning, and 70% occur in the victims' homes. University of Minnesota Medical School, University of Minnesota Clinic and Hospital
* In 1997, firearms were responsible for 1,262 suicides in children and teenagers in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, Wonder Data
* Persons under age 25 accounted for 15% of all suicides in 1997. National Center for Health Statistics
* From 1952-1995, the incidence of suicide among adolescents and young adults nearly tripled. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports, 1995

+Quote Post
UnderTow
post Apr 20 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #10

Replace Firearm and Gun with Car and Vechile

See what you get.

+Quote Post
André
post Apr 20 2007, 01:07 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (UnderTow @ Apr 20 2007, 04:55 PM)

See what you get.

Cars have a useful purpose and are really indispensable today.
Guns... obviously they don't protect anybody, so what are they good for ?

+Quote Post
UnderTow
post Apr 20 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (André @ Apr 20 2007, 01:07 PM)

Especially if you don't have one.

+Quote Post
DemolitionCrew
post Apr 20 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #13

Vermontbound

QUOTE (André @ Apr 20 2007, 12:07 PM)

See what you get.

Andre...

I wasn't going to respond because I am quite tired of debate...of any kind. Look up the origin of this country we still call the United States of America. Look at the Federalist Papers. Look at memoirs and quotes by the Founding Fathers. Look at the very reason the Revolutionary War was started and your answer will be there.

I know the totals you provided may seem staggering...but believe it or not with over 170 million gun owners, I say "not bad." The authoritarian nature of the freakazoids that run our country would be amplified exponentially if the 2nd Amendment was eliminated. Thank God these are INALIENABLE rights which means NO MAN can take them away.

+Quote Post
Cary
post Apr 20 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #14

Ragin Cajun

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (André @ Apr 20 2007, 11:07 AM)

See what you get.

Andre,

I know you're in Europe and the mindset about guns is totally different there. And the European population has been brainwashed into believing guns are bad. Guns aren't bad. Bad people use guns among other weapons to harm other people. As the saying goes, "Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns."

The American culture will not rollover and turn in guns because this corrupt CONgress pass some bill ordering hand guns to be turned in some buy back program. Not me anyway. Not by a long shot. I have used my guns to protect me and mine several times. No, I've never shot anyone. I haven't had to. Bad guys know you have a gun and think you might be willing to use it, and they find an easier target. Guns are useful. If some of those who were gunned down at Virginia Tech. had guns they could have defended themselves. The university had banned guns in the previous year or so. No guns allowed Cho to gun all those people down. Like I said earlier, "Outlaw guns, and only outlaws will have guns."

+Quote Post
bill
post Apr 20 2007, 02:19 PM
Post #15

Group: Guest
Member No.: 147

http://www.wnho.net/deathbymedicine.htm

ANNUAL DEATHS FROM MEDICAL MISADVENTURE

ANNUAL PHYSICAL AND ECONOMIC COST OF MEDICAL INTERVENTION

Condition Deaths Cost Author
Hospital ADR 106,000 $12 billion Lazarou1 Suh49
Medical error 98,000 $2 billion IOM6
Bedsores 115,000 $55 billion Xakellis7 Barczak8
Infection 88,000 $5 billion Weinstein9 MMWR10
Malnutrition 108,800 ----- Nurses Coalition11
Outpatient ADR 199,000 $77 billion Starfield12 Weingart112
Unnecessary Procedures 37,136 $122 billion HCUP3, 13
Surgery-Related 32,000 $9 billion AHRQ85

Total 783,936 $282 billion

GUNS are MUCH safer than doctors

783,936 deaths PER YEAR

+Quote Post
Sue
post Apr 20 2007, 03:09 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 418

GUNS are MUCH safer than doctors

I agree. yes1.gif

Regarding Kukinich, I mentioned a couple of months ago that I didn't trust him. This furthers my mistrust.

As I said before, Ron Paul is the ONLY potential presidential candidate we can trust.

Kukinich is going to end all violence and everybody's going to live in peace. What's he going to do - put LSD into the water system and play Aquarius over loudspeakers?

Give me a break.

I think I'll hang on to my guns, thank you.

+Quote Post
bill
post Apr 20 2007, 03:27 PM
Post #17

Group: Guest
Member No.: 147

Gun Control is Bullshit video

+Quote Post
post Apr 20 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #18

Group:
Member No.: 0

I'm agnostic on gun control, however, i don't necessarily think that a handgun ban amongst civillians is all that bad. It's not a total gun ban, just hand guns. Hand guns that kids can take to schools, handguns that robbers use to rob stores or banks. Hand guns that gangsters use on the streets. Maybe a gun ban wouldn't be the best idea, but at minimum, there should be much stricter laws regarding guns and civillians. With that said, i will leave you with a famous quote:

Guns don't kill people, stupid mutha f*cka's with guns kill people

Chris Tucker in the movie Money Talks

cheers.gif

+Quote Post
Sanders
post Apr 20 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 49

I've never owned one, don't intend to.

But this is sort of interesting
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=55288

+Quote Post
Sue
post Apr 20 2007, 04:29 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 418

not a total gun ban, just hand guns.

HANDguns, along with the knowledge of how to use them, are the ONE AND ONLY WAY that the weak, small, elderly and crippled can truly defend themselves. Many of those who couldn't otherwise defend themselves are female. Are you saying that these people don't count? Are you saying the bigger and stronger should rule, and the small and weak should give up their wallets, purses and bodies to the bigger and stronger who so desire these things. Guns are the great equalizer, and handguns are the way these otherwise weak people can carry their defense out of their homes to where the danger may lurk.

Now I KNOW I'll hang on to my guns, thank you.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th January 2020 - 03:27 PM