Reply to this topicStart new topic
D.c. Crash Kills General Who Scrambled Jets On 9/11

post Jun 25 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Global Mod
Posts: 1,221
Joined: 20-October 06
From: south london, uk
Member No.: 114

D.C. Crash Kills General Who Scrambled Jets on 9/11

Ryan Flinn and Todd Shields Ryan Flinn And Todd Shields – Wed Jun 24, 11:40 am ET
June 24 (Bloomberg) --

David F. Wherley Jr., the head of the Washington National Guard who scrambled jets over the city during the 9/11 terrorist attacks, was among those killed in the worst commuter train crash in the city’s history, officials said.

Wherley’s wife, Ann, was also among the nine people killed when a train plowed into the rear of a stopped train during rush hour on June 22, Quintin Peterson, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police Department, said in a telephone interview. Both were 62 and lived in southeast Washington.

Wherley was commander of the 113th Fighter Wing at Andrews Air Force base in Maryland during the September 2001 terrorist attacks and sent up aircraft with orders to protect the White House and the Capitol, according to the 9/11 Commission report.

He commanded the District of Columbia National Guard from 2003 to 2008, the unit said in a statement.

“I had the opportunity to work with him as he commanded the troops here in D.C. and as he sent them off to war,” Washington Mayor Adrian Fenty said at a news conference yesterday. “He was as fine a public servant and as dedicated to the United States of America and everything that is great about this country as anyone I have ever met.”

The operator of the train, Jeanice McMillan, 42, of Springfield, Virginia, was also killed, according to Angela Gates, a spokeswoman for the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority.

Others Who Died

The others who died were Mary Doolittle, 59, of northwest Washington; Veronica Dubose, 29, of northwest Washington; Ana Fernandez, 40, of Hyattsville, Maryland; Dennis Hawkins, 64, of southeast Washington; Lavonda King, 23, of northeast Washington and Cameron Williams, 37, whose address wasn’t available, Peterson said.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2009, 12:10 PM
Post #2

Group: Active Forum Pilot
Posts: 746
Joined: 25-April 08
From: Canada
Member No.: 3,225

My first thoughts were " I wonder who got whacked this time?" Nothing in DC happens by accident.

This post has been edited by Ricochet: Jun 25 2009, 12:13 PM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #3

Group: Contributor
Posts: 767
Joined: 30-January 08
Member No.: 2,690

Nothing in DC happens by accident.

. . . . (h)ow many other COINCIDENTAL deaths of whistle blowers . . .?

I'm planning on coming to the Conference on July 11. I notice that there is a Metro stop a block north of the Conference Center. Rob, Craig and the guys should add to the agenda a little Metro trip for all of us to the various places of interest near the Pentagon. I was planning to buy some gas at the Citgo, try to park my car there for free and walk around to the various vantage points and have a look for myself anyway. I'm willing to take my chances!

Alternatively, why not announce this addition, but cancel it at the last minute, as a little test?. While listening to the presentations, we can all wait for something to happen. That will add a little drama.

Incidentally, all of us in Pittsburgh were promptly reassured that such a thing is not possible on our subway/surface LRT system, including a nice picture of the Strangeloveian high tech control room.


This post has been edited by tnemelckram: Jun 25 2009, 02:06 PM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #4

Group: Extreme Forum Pilot
Posts: 1,843
Joined: 1-March 07
Member No.: 710

perhaps you can educate me.....

i read this demise story of maj gen wherley, and i asked myself, what is the record of his scrambling of interceptors on that day?

they didn't race to manhattan, did they?

they didn't race to interdict 77, did they?

andrews also had to interceptor usmc squadrons. what happened to them?

if i recall, their website[s] were removed within hours. and officially, i don't recall any acknowledgment of their existence. but i may have missed some admissions that were made years later.

i am sure that this site has a record of the military aircraft's responses to the "hijackings" of that day.

channel me.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #5

Group: Private Forum Pilot
Posts: 223
Joined: 25-February 09
Member No.: 4,177

Well, I guess is should no longer think anything happens by Co-inky-dence.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Global Mod
Posts: 5,019
Joined: 2-October 07
From: USA, a Federal corporation
Member No.: 2,294

It looks like Andrews AFB has been home to Marine Fighter Attack Squadron-321 [VMFA-321] "Hell's Angels," equipped with F/A-18 Hornets.


Looking in the Internet Archive, I only found one page for MAG-49:


The 9-11 Commission had this about Gen. Wherley:


"MR. FARMER: In interviews with us, NEADS personnel expressed considerable confusion over the nature and effect of the order. Indeed, the NEADS commander told us he did not pass along the order because he was unaware of its ramifications. Both the mission commander and the weapons director indicated they did not pass the order to the fighters circling Washington and New York City because they were unsure how the pilots would, or should, proceed with this guidance.

In short, while leaders in Washington believed the fighters circling above them had been instructed to "take out" hostile aircraft, the only orders actually conveyed to the Langley pilots were to "ID type and tail."

In most cases the chain of command in authorizing the use of force runs from the president to the secretary of Defense and from the secretary to the combatant commander. The president apparently spoke to Secretary Rumsfeld briefly sometime after 10:00, but no one can recall any content beyond a general request to alert forces. The president and the secretary did not discuss the use of force against hijacked airliners in this conversation. The secretary did not become part of the chain of command for those orders to engage until he arrived in the NMCC.

At 10:39, the vice president tried to bring the secretary up to date as both participated in the Air Threat Conference:

MR. ZELIKOW: The vice president said, "There's been at least three instances here where we've had reports of aircraft approaching Washington -- a couple were confirmed hijack. And, pursuant to the president's instructions I gave authorization for them to be taken out. Hello?"

The secretary of Defense: "Yes, I understand. Who did you give that direction to?"

The vice president: "It was passed from here through the operations center at the White House, from the shelter."

Secretary of Defense: "Okay, let me ask the question here" Has that directive been transmitted to the aircraft?"

Vice President: "Yes, it has."

Secretary of Defense: "So we've got a couple of aircraft up there that have those instructions at the present time?"

The vice president: "That is correct. And it's my understanding they've already taken a couple of aircraft out."

The secretary of Defense: "We can't confirm that. We're told that one aircraft is down but we do not have a pilot report that they did it."

MR. FARMER: As this exchange shows, Secretary Rumsfeld was not involved when the shootdown order was first passed on the Air Threat Conference. After the Pentagon was hit, Secretary Rumsfeld went to the parking lot to assist with rescue efforts. He arrived in the National Military Command Center shortly before 10:30. He told us he was just gaining situational awareness when he spoke with the vice president, and that his primary concern was ensuring that the pilots had a clear understanding of their rules of engagement. The vice president was mistaken in his belief that shootdown authorization had been passed to the pilots flying at NORAD's direction.

By 10:45 there was, however, another set of fighters circling Washington that had entirely different rules of engagement. These fighters, part of the 113th Wing of the D.C. Air National Guard, launched out of Andrews Air Force Base based on information passed to them by the Secret Service. The first of the Andrews fighters was airborne at 10:38. General Wherley, the commander of the 113th Wing, reached out to the Secret Service after hearing secondhand reports that it wanted fighters airborne. A Secret Service agent had a phone in each ear, one to Wherley and one to a fellow agent at the White House, relaying instructions that the White House agent said he was getting from the vice president. The guidance for Wherley was to send up the aircraft, with orders to protect the White House and take out any aircraft that threatens the Capitol. General Wherley translated this in military terms to, "weapons free," which means the decision to shoot rests in the cockpit, or in this case the cockpit of the lead pilot. He passed these instructions to the pilots that launched at 10:42 and afterward.

Thus, while the fighter pilots under NORAD direction who had scrambled out of Langley never received any type of engagement order, the Andrews pilots were operating under weapons free, a permissive rule of engagement. The president and the vice president told us they had not been aware that fighters had been scrambled out of Andrews, at the request of the Secret Service and outside of the military chain of command.

MR. ZELIKOW: Reflections on United 93. Had it not crashed in Pennsylvania at 10:03, we estimate that United 93 could not have reached Washington, D.C. any earlier than 10:13, and most probably would have arrived before 10:23. We examined the military's ability to intercept it. There was only one set of fighters orbiting Washington, D.C. during this timeframe -- the Langley F-16s. They were armed and under NORAD's control. But the Langley pilots were never briefed about the reason they were scrambled. As the lead pilot explained, "I reverted to the Russian threat -- I'm thinking cruise missile threat from the sea. You know you look down and see the Pentagon burning and I thought the bastards snuck one by us. You couldn't see any airplanes, and no one told us anything."

The pilots knew their mission was to identify and divert aircraft flying within a certain radius of Washington, but did not know that the threat came from hijacked commercial airliners. Also, NEADS did not know where United 93 was when it first heard about the hijacking from FAA at 10:07. Presumably FAA would have provided the information, but we do not know how long it would have taken, nor how long it would have taken NEADS to find and track the target on its own equipment.

Once the target was known and identified, NEADS needed orders to pass to the pilots. Shootdown authority was first communicated to NEADS at 10:31. Given the clear attack on the United States, it is also possible -- though unlikely -- that NORAD commanders could have ordered the shootdown without the authorization communicated by the vice president.

NORAD officials have maintained that they would have intercepted and shot down United 93. We are not so sure. ..."






See the "NORAD Papers" series of articles here:

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 26 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: Global Mod
Posts: 5,019
Joined: 2-October 07
From: USA, a Federal corporation
Member No.: 2,294

See also:


History Commons Groups
June 14, 2009
Two Days Before 9/11, Military Exercise Simulated Suicide Hijack Targeting New York

Filed under: Complete 911 Timeline, Document Collection — kevinfenton @ 7:19 am
The US military conducted a training exercise in the five days before the September 11 attacks that included simulated aircraft hijackings by terrorists, according to a 9/11 Commission document recently found in the US National Archives. In one of the scenarios, implemented on September 9, terrorists hijacked a London to New York flight, planning to blow it up with explosives over New York.

The undated document, entitled "NORAD EXERCISES Hijack Summary," was part of a series of 9/11 Commission records moved to the National Archives at the start of the year. It was found there, and posted to the History Commons site at Scribd, by History Commons contributor paxvector, in the files of the commission's Team 8, which focused on the failed emergency response on the day of the attacks. The summary appears to have been drafted by one of the commission's staffers, possibly Miles Kara, based on documents submitted by NORAD.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Aug 13 2010, 03:06 PM
Post #8

dig deeper
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Posts: 1,036
Joined: 16-October 06
From: dc
Member No.: 96


released last week:




official bio:

bio plus compilation of articles written after his death:

his 9/11 role:

some notable 9/11 wherley-related info:

DCANG 113th Wing awarded Spaatz Trophy
Tuesday, June 11, 2002

It was announced in early May that the Air National Guard 113th Wing won the Spaatz Trophy. Named for Gen. Carl Spaatz, the first chief of staff of the Air Force, the trophy is presented annually by the Air Force Association to the overall outstanding ANG flying unit.

"One of the reasons the 113th received this award is we have been able to take advantage of the talents and skill of our very diverse force," said Brig. Gen. David Wherley Jr., 113th Wing commander.

Whereley also attributes the award to the 113th's Sept. 11 contributions and Operation Southern Falcon, a deployment to Argentina in 2001.

During Operation Southern Falcon, the 121st Fighter Squadron along with the 113th Wing deployed eight F-16's, 44 tons of cargo and 143 personnel.

Lt. Gen. William Hobbins, 12th Air Force commander and Air Forces of Southern Command commander, said the unit deployed and redeployed "flawlessly in spite of many obstacles." As a result, the [ANG] far exceeded the result standards set for this deployment. More importantly, [they made a] positive impression and formed relationships with the local community, the Argentine Air Force and the country's senior military leadership."

Minutes after the airliner struck the Pentagon, F-16s from the 113 Wing flew protective cover for Air Force One, which was transporting President George W. Bush back to Washington, D.C., and were the first unit to launch fighter aircraft to set up a Combat Air Patrol over the nation's capitol.

"I'm particularly proud of the performance of the organtization's members who responded to the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11," said Whereley. "That clearly reflected their continued dedication to the mission and the country."

While the wing supported the CAP over the nation's capitol, they also had to stay current in their mission -- combat-related missions of the F-16, including overseas deployments in support of AEF, delivery of laser guided munitions, close air support and fighter versus fighter air combat tactics.

"We flew so many hours with so few problems, said Maj. Frank Woods Lawsky, 113th Wing pilot. "It is a testament to the maintainers' professionalism."

The 113th will be presented the trophy in September at the National Guard Association Annual Conference in Long Beach, Calif.

Source: Andrews Air Force Base, Public Affairs


Guard leaders sign mutual aid agreement

By Master Sgt. Bob Haskell
National Guard Bureau

Maj. Gen. Claude Williams, the adjutant general for Virginia, Maj. Gen. David Wherley Jr., commanding general of the District of Columbia National Guard, and Maj. Gen. Bruce Tuxill, the adjutant general for Maryland, signed a Memorandum of Understanding that enables those National Guard forces to serve together during a critical incident within the National Capital Region.

Had terrorists crashed an airliner into a target, such as the U.S. Capitol or the White House, in the District of Columbia on Sept. 11, 2001, the D.C. National Guard could not have legally asked for National Guard reinforcements from another state to help civilian law enforcement agencies restore order from the inevitable chaos.

Likewise, there was no legal means for D.C. National Guard troops on Title 32 or state duty status to roll out to support the Virginia National Guard after the Pentagon was attacked on northern Virginia soil.

That all changed on July 15 when leaders of the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia National Guard signed an historic mutual aid agreement making it possible for their people to respond to a “critical incident” in the National Capital Region.

The Memorandum of Understanding was signed by Maj. Gen. David Wherley Jr., commanding general of the D.C. National Guard, Maj. Gen. Bruce Tuxill, adjutant general for Maryland, and Maj. Gen. Claude Williams, adjutant general for Virginia, during a brief afternoon ceremony at Fort McNair in Washington.

The document immediately makes it possible for National Guard troops to serve together, without having to be mobilized for Title 10 federal duty, in the National Capital Region that encompasses the District of Columbia, the Maryland counties of Prince George’s, Montgomery and Frederick, and, in Virginia, the counties of Fairfax, Arlington, Loudoun and Prince William and the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church and Manassas.
The agreement has the same standing as the Emergency Management Assistant Compact that every state except California and Hawaii have signed and that makes it possible for Guard forces from one state to serve in the others during an emergency or disaster declared by a governor.

Now, it was explained, D.C. Guard troops can serve in Maryland and Virginia and troops from those states can serve in the district during an emergency declared by one of the governors or by the mayor of Washington using an approval process established by the president.

“Before Sept. 11, 2001, the general consensus was that we had our territories. Maryland and Virginia didn’t come into D.C., and we didn’t go out to them. So we had to rethink some things,” said Wherley who became the D.C. Guard’s commanding general in July 2003.

“Now, if it’s a military event we can go to work for General Jackman anytime,” added Wherley, referring to Maj. Gen. Galen Jackman, commander of the Military District of Washington. Jackman also commands the National Capital Region’s joint forces headquarters that was formed to support the U.S. Northern Command and the homeland defense mission.

“Certainly we’re very much a part of what’s going on here, and we’ve always been closely tied to this nation’s capital, except for a brief period back in the 1800s,” said Williams, generating a laugh. “But we remained just across the river even then.

“Clearly, anything that we can do to help and at the same time garner the resources of these other two entities to come to Virginia when something happens over on our side of the river is a win-win situation for all of us,” Williams added.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Aug 15 2010, 03:12 AM
Post #9

dig deeper
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Posts: 1,036
Joined: 16-October 06
From: dc
Member No.: 96

on the day of the incident, the earliest published article posted about the train crash (that i found) was written less than 2 hours after the actual crash, and it only listed FOUR people as being deceased:


subsequently, the article was updated (at 8:08am on june 23rd), but here its death toll count:

WASHINGTON -- At least seven people are dead after one commuter train plowed into the back of another yesterday afternoon in the deadliest accident in the 33-year history of D.C.'s Metro system -- an "unbelievable nightmare" for the people on board according to D.C.'s mayor.

Seven fatalities have been confirmed as a result of an above-ground collision of two Metro trains between the Takoma Park and Fort Totten stations on the Red Line in northeast Washington. While there have been reports of up to nine deaths, Mayor Adrian Fenty said at a Tuesday morning news conference that seven have been confirmed dead.

"With the ... confirmed fatalities, it is my preliminary understanding that this would be the deadliest accident in the history of our Metro train transit system," Fenty said.

so as late as 22 hours after the event (when the article was updated), only SEVEN victims had been confirmed and identified. but the final tally of the victims revealed that NINE people had died in the accident:


Metro is planning a memorial service on June 22, one year to the day from the crash that killed a train operator and eight passengers.

it turns out that wherley and his wife were not named (or identified) as victims of the accident until 24 hours after the incident:


9 Dead in DC Metro Red Line Crash
Over 70 Injured in Worst Metro Crash in History

Updated: Tuesday, 23 Jun 2009, 10:00 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 23 Jun 2009, 9:14 AM EDT

The names of additional victims released Tuesday afternoon are:
Mary Doolittle 59, NW DC
Ana Fernandez 40, Hyattsville,MD
Dennis Hawkins 64, Southeast DC
LaVonda "Nikki" King 23, Upper Marlboro, MD
David F. Wherley
Amy Wherley (note wherley's wife's name was Anne, not Amy)

so the wherleys were indeed identified a susbtantial length of time after the accident. so - is it possible they werent on the train and instead murdered, only to be added later as victims? or maybe murdered and then placed at the scene? or never present at the scene and only presented to a coroner for i.d., after the fact? i dont have a definitive answer, unfortunately. personally, im 99% convinced that wherley's death was simply a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. the 1% doubt however, comes from 2 pieces of info.

1- it was well known prior to his death, that he "loved to ride the metro", the following excerpt is from the National Guard official press release:

Under his leadership, the DC National Guard deployed several of its units, soldiers and airman in the Global War on Terrorism, including the 275th Military Police Co. Their successful mobilization and safe return were always his top priority. It was his imperative that soldiers and airmen have the best training they could possibly receive before going into harm’s way, and will remain as one of his most important legacies.

Ann Wherley held a degree in Education from Kutztown University in Pennsylvania and worked as a mortgage broker for 10 years before she retired in 2007. She was a gourmet cook and worked as a docent for the United States Botanic Garden near the U.S. Capitol Building. The couple raised their children in Davidsonville, Md., and moved to Washington, DC after Wherley became Commanding General.

They were an inseparable couple, and General Wherley loved riding on the Metro. When he served as Commanding General, he would forgo the customary driver and vehicle afforded to him by his position and travel to meetings and events on the Metro.

Wherley made frequent visits to wounded service members at Walter Reed, including First Lt. Russell Kaufmann, a DC Army Guardsmen wounded while deployed in Iraq with the 275th Military Police Co. Kaufmann was hit through the neck by a sniper’s bullet, suffering paralysis and brain injury. The Wherley’s spent a great deal of their personal time with Kaufmann during his recovery.

On the day they died, the Wherleys had just finished an orientation program for the Walter Reid Volunteer Program. They both volunteered much of their time to the families of DC National Guard men and women, especially during their deployments.

-so if anyone wanted to draw up a plan to kill him and make it appear "natural", then they would have had been able to exploit the above knowledge about wherley's "love of the metro".

2- i found an article, which tries to definitively establish Wherley's presence on the train that crashed, but does so in a manner that appears too calculated and "subtle", at least imo. normally i wouldnt quote an entire article, but i think its necessary in this case to help susbtantiate my point/suspicion:


Surviving Against All Odds
Metro crash victim tells her story.

By Gale Curcio
Thursday, April 29, 2010

Amanda Breeding remembers flying through the air. She does not remember landing. Breeding also doesn't remember the first seven operations she had following the Metro crash on June 22, 2009.

Living in Maryland at the time, Breeding had originally planned to visit her parents, Jim and Dorothy Breeding, that day. Her parents live in Del Ray and own Breeding Construction, Inc.

However, her father was recovering from surgery for kidney stones and her mother suggested that she come another day. She decided to visit a friend in Virginia, and boarded the Red Line in Maryland. The train was unusually crowded that day, so instead of boarding one of the middle cars, she headed up to the first train. She chose a seat near the front of the train, but gave it up when an older woman and her husband boarded. Breeding later claimed the seat right behind the train conductor.

"I was sitting there. The train came to a complete stop and I remember flying through the air," Breeding said. "I went through the Plexiglas and hit the ground."

The next thing she remembers is lying on the ground next to the train. "I heard a bunch of people screaming and crying. I heard somebody yelling, ‘My mom’s foot is stuck.’ I knew that the trains had crashed and I could just smell burning around me."

She remembers two men and a girl talking to her as she lay on the ground. One of those men was Dennis Oglesby, who had been riding on the car that was struck by the train that Breeding was traveling in. He and Marty Griffith were headed back to the Pentagon from a site visit. It was the first time he had ever taken the Red Line.

As soon as he felt the impact, he knew that something had happened. He was seated in the second train and was jostled around. Both he and Griffith immediately headed towards the back of the train, but the door had jammed. They directed people to the front of the train where they were able to activate an emergency switch.

"I WAS TRAVELLING with a civilian employee I work with named Marty Griffith," said Oglesby. "We boarded the Red Line coming out of Silver Springs, Md., after a site visit of a location where we are holding a function for our upcoming PR Conference in August. We loaded the Metro in Takoma and were headed for connecting lines at Union Station. There were six cars and we entered the fifth car at the station, initially standing, we both decided that it would be better to sit. We stopped a couple of times and the conductor announced that we had to wait for some maintenance problems but would be moving shortly. After a third stop the conductor didn’t say anything and as we were slowly starting to move forward we were plowed from behind by another Metro [car].

"We were knocked around in our seats along with everyone else and after getting to our feet I asked Marty if he was OK; he nodded and I said ‘let’s go help.’ We made our way through the connecting doors asking and moving people along and directing them to the front of the train. Upon arriving to the end of the last car there was one gentleman dazed and wandering around. He had blood on him and I asked if he was OK, he said it wasn’t his blood. We all looked up and noticed that blood was dripping through the top of the car. I told the man to get to the front of the train and get out. I looked out the north side of the car doors and didn’t see anyone then looked out the south side, where I noticed several bodies on the ground that were yelling and crying. I tried to pry open the doors and Marty located and activated the emergency door locks."

TRAINED AS A MEDIC while in Special Ops, Oglesby immediately went into action and started triaging and assessing the injured.

All the while, Griffith was there helping him, as were other passengers. A young couple was sitting near the fence with some injuries and he attended to them. He saw a girl named Molly and asked if she was OK. She said she was PK, but said that there was another girl who really needed help.

"I looked up to see a young woman across from some more debris that had come from the train. She had blood and dirt all over her face; she was staring at me. I stood up and asked her if she was OK, she replied yes but pointed to the ground and said, ‘I don’t think she is.’ I moved around the debris, and heard someone yelling at me that the line was still ‘hot’ [referring to the power rail for the train] and to ‘stay the f*** away from it.’ I assured him that I was OK and needed to get to the girl on the ground. He told me to ‘be careful.’

"Once I got around the debris I saw a young woman, mid 20’s lying flat on her back. Obvious wounds were evisceration of the upper portion of her right leg with minimal bleeding. A large avulsion wound over her left breast (but no sign of puncture), and her left arm was cut in a spiral from her wrist to her elbow. She was losing a lot of blood, possibly arterial from this wound. I talked with her and continued my assessment while applying pressure to her arm to keep it pressed against her stomach.

"Marty returned with two shirts that he got from other passengers. I used one to loosely bandage her leg and the other to apply pressure on the arm. Her name was Amanda. She was alert, responsive but complaining of difficulty breathing. I moved between the victims several times to check on everyone but knew I had to focus my attention to the girl Amanda. Upon returning she asked me not to leave again. I noticed that she was starting to close her eyes more and seemed to be having increasing difficulty breathing."

Breeding said that she wasn’t panicking at this point. "When I tried to move [and couldn’t] — that’s when I panicked."

Oglesby tended to Breeding, but also kept triaging and assessing the other people. He remembers Breeding saying, "Don't leave me."

He estimates that emergency personnel arrived on the scene about 24 minutes after the crash. Oglesby and the injured passengers were in a tight area between a wire fence and the Metro car. A firefighter named Chris approached Oglesby and asked who he was.

"I told him my name was Dennis, and he said, ‘No who are you, what do you do?’ I told him I was in the Army, Special Forces, and Chris said, ‘You’re doing a good job, stay with her and tell me what you need.’ I told him I needed O2, bandages, neck brace and a backboard. He handed me a pack and said, ‘There are gloves in the top if you need them.’ While Chris was locating the other medical gear I asked one of the passengers to help me try and get Amanda bandaged up a bit better. I put a roll of gauze at the joint of her elbow in order to help slow the bleeding. I also applied bandages to her leg and while doing so debris was falling on my back from the Fire Department trying to get victims off the roof of the rail car next to us. Someone was yelling for them to stop when a large pipe fell at some point and hit me and Amanda.

"Chris arrived with oxygen and a mask which we put on Amanda, who was becoming increasingly more unresponsive and was going in and out of consciousnesses. Chris was still searching for a neck brace and backboard. I informed him that Amanda was becoming increasingly more unresponsive and we needed to move her to an ambulance ASAP. I said that we needed to get her a neck brace and get her on a backboard. While we were waiting for the other medical gear I asked a few people to help me move some of the debris from around Amanda in order to prepare the site for putting her on a backboard and to give room at her head to facilitate putting on the neck brace."

"I REMEMBER being put on the helicopter and people talking to me, but I don’t remember the helicopter ride or getting to the hospital," said Breeding.

With the help of a couple of firefighters and some of the passengers, they got Breeding on the board and passed through to emergency personnel. Oglesby and Griffith continued to assist other passengers. After about two and a half hours, they headed through the fence that had been cut to get the victims out, walked to the Fort Totten station, jumped on the subway and headed back to work.

Being trained as a medic, he had no trepidations about boarding the Metro. "As a paratrooper, we learned that if you have a problem with your parachute, you grab another one, and head back up in the air for another jump.

"I wasn't sure where we were," said Oglesby, who had never been to that part of the city. "We were covered with blood [from the victims] and as we were walking, everybody kept asking us if we were OK."

In the meantime, Breeding was flown to Washington Hospital Center. She doesn't remember being in the helicopter or arriving at the hospital. Her first memory after being moved from the crash scene was the next day when she woke up to see her parents and younger sister next to her hospital bed.

Because Breeding's backpack was separated from her, it took the investigators almost 12 hours to determine her identify and notify her family. At first, they thought that her name was Lucy, but then realized that was the other girl who was traveling in the same car.

DETECTIVE Brian Baker arrived on the scene at 5:20 p.m. He is with the Criminal Investigation Division of the Metro Transit Police Department.

"My job was to find out how many people were seriously injured," said Baker, who was told that there were at least five to six people who were seriously injured. He also heard from a girl named Molly about the girl named Amanda who was really badly hurt — she was ejected from the train and had cuts and bruises all over and was covered with dirt.

Baker’s next job was to identify Amanda and notify her parents. They found a passport, but weren’t sure if that was Amanda. Since passports don’t contain addresses, Baker checked the FBI database, hoping that she would have worked for the government at some point, but that came up empty.

Baker went to the hospital and waited until Breeding came out of surgery, hoping that he could talk to her. Once he found out that Breeding was still unconscious and placed in intensive care, he and Detective Brandon Twentymon went back to the scene, sifting through people’s property, hoping that they would find something else to identify Breeding. He went back to the hospital and held up the passport photo next to Breeding. She was so swollen that it was hard to tell, but they felt like there was some resemblance.

It was getting late and Baker said, "They didn’t think that she [Breeding] would make it through the night. We felt that we had to take a shot."

They drove over to Del Ray where Dorothy and Jim Breeding live with Amanda’s sister and brother. Dorothy Breeding remembers getting a knock on their door at 3 a.m. Baker asked if they were Amanda's parents and if they knew about the Metro crash. They had heard about the crash, but had no reason to be concerned; they didn't realize that Amanda had been traveling on it that day.

Baker said that they needed to come with him right away; the doctors were concerned that Amanda wouldn't make it. Dorothy Breeding and her other daughter rode with Baker, while Amanda’s father followed in the car.

"Amanda was supposed to come to the house that day to get some of her things," said Dorothy Breeding, "But her father was recovering from surgery for kidney stones and we told her not to come. We had no idea that she was on the Metro.

"My heart sank when the detective came to the door and started asking questions — ‘Are you Dorothy? Is your daughter Amanda? Are you aware of the [Metro] accident?" said Dorothy Breeding.

WHEN THEY ARRIVED at Amanda's hospital bed, they saw that her body was incredibly swollen from the liquids that were being pumped in and her wounds were still untreated.

"She was so swollen; you couldn’t tell it was her," said Dorothy Breeding. "She looked like the ‘Michelin Man.’ She had some injuries to her head and a gash at the back of her head. My husband and I were in disbelief."

When they got to the hospital, the nurse explained what was going on. They learned that Amanda had a major gash to her right leg and to her left arm.

Jim Breeding, who is a hunter, said that it looked like her leg had been filleted like a fish. Amanda had already been through surgery where they tied off the artery to stop the bleeding to the leg and arm.

"We lifted the blanket and you could smell the dried blood," said Dorothy Breeding. "So many things were thrown at us. She was still in a collar — they didn’t know all of her injuries yet. They said that youth was on her side and would know more in a few hours. They just wanted to get her stabilized."

"I WOKE UP in the hospital bed the next morning and my dad, mom, sister and Detective Baker," said Amanda Breeding. "I don’t remember anything else that day. I had a breathing tube so I couldn’t talk for three days. I couldn’t eat or drink anything. They ran a central line because I had lost so much blood that they couldn’t find a vein."

There was so much dirt in the wounds that it took a long time to clean and debride. At first they worked on her every day, then every three days, then once a week — all the time cleaning the wounds, closing them up and starting the grafting process.

Because Amanda Breeding had lost so much blood, she was given Factor 7. This heavy duty blood clotting mechanism costs thousands of dollars, and is given only in extremely rare cases.

The first 12 hours were the worst, but they determined fairly soon thereafter that Amanda Breeding was going to survive. The road to recovery, however, would be long.

Five weeks of bed rest, another three weeks doing therapy and 15 operations. When Amanda Breeding was being wheeled to the operating room for her eighth surgery, she was shocked when her father said that it was her eighth surgery. She had no recollection of the first seven procedures.

Because there was so much swelling, each operation closed her up a little more. Amanda Breeding said that it took weeks for her mother to remove the blood, dirt, Plexiglas, sheet metal, screws, gravel and twigs that were in her hair.

Both Dorothy and Jim Breeding took leave from their family business, Breeding Construction, to be with Amanda. They were fortunate to have a room in the hotel at Washington Hospital Center. Their daughter stayed with them as well. Their younger son was staying with Dorothy’s sister, and didn't see Amanda until the second week.

"I'm thankful that he didn't have to see her like that," said Dorothy Breeding. "I think that it would have been scary for him."

"I was in ICU a week and then everybody came to see me after that," said Amanda Breeding.

It wasn’t until Aug. 11, 2009, that Amanda Breeding was cleared to leave the hospital.

"It was great to be out of the hospital and in my own bed," said Amanda Breeding. "I could get around with the help of a cane and my mom. The first couple of months, I spent building up my endurance. I still have some nerve problems and scoliosis in my back. A lot of family member say that I’m the ‘miracle child.’"

Amanda Breeding originally said that she would never go back on the Metro — although she has traveled on it once. She has flashbacks sometimes just seeing the train go by. Early on, she had nightmares, and had to start taking medication. She hasn’t had nightmares since then.

"My mom has been very patient," said Amanda Breeding. "She helped with dressing, bath and shower. She and my dad didn’t work for eight weeks; they stayed at the hotel in the hospital."

"We were happy to have her home," said Dorothy Breeding. "At first, we weren’t sure what she needed. We had to learn how to change the dressing — the nurse made it look so easy but it wasn’t. Amanda handled everything very well. There were some bad days when she was still in the hospital, and said, ‘Why me? I want to go home.’"

Dorothy Breeding said that John Cato, general manager of Metro at the time, called several times. "He was very nice — a sympathetic, sincere and concerned person," she said.

The older woman to whom Amanda Breeding gave her seat was Ann Wherley, wife of Retired Maj. Gen. David F. Wherley Jr., former commanding general of the District of Columbia National Guard. They were both killed in the crash.

-maybe its me, but it seems like the true agenda of the piece isnt about this girl and her "survival", it is actually meant to establish that wherley was indeed onboard that train (with his wife) and that they were seated in the front of the train in that lead car. i find it odd (subversive perhaps) that the author dropped that non-chalant hint at the beginning of the piece, then fed you an excess of minutae about mayhem and heroism (i.e. emotional triggers), then closed (literally) with that "a ha" moment at the end with the very last sentence revealing that it was wherley.

side thought - thanks to the above article's very specific allegations of factual events - if the wherleys were indeed sitting at the very front of that train then it would have indeed been very hard to find and extricate their bodies, so it would explain why it may have taken so long for him and his wife to be named as victims. at the same time however, if say you wanted to substitute people for the wherleys, dupes who unwittingly and unknowingly board a train posing as an old couple - after the accident - these people would hardly be recognizable. chances are the actual corpses removed from the wreck were heavily mangled and damaged, so its not clear exactly how these folk were specifically identified as the wherleys. given the dna claims made about the 9/11 plane passenger victims, i find all claims of official identification to be suspect and always in doubt, even in supposedly benign "random" events around this town, and the wherleys are no exception. trying to use a train accident as a means to eliminate an individual leaves way too many variables to chance. but successfully kidnapping a person and then planting their name/persona into such a scenario is alot more do-able.

about the author of the train dramatization story - gale curcios: after checking/reading most (if not all) of the articles ms.curcio wrote for that local alexandria paper, i could not find any obvious slant or bias she may have had when writing that piece about "survival", nor could i find anywhere in her bio something that outright revealed whose agendas she may favor or even be paid to push. she is a member of alexandria's chamber of commerce, and very active on behalf of a religious organization, but i didnt find any military or defense sector connections in her background. the one noteworthy thing i did find was this:


Tony Snow: Husband, Father, Neighbor and Friend
By Chuck Hagee, Gazette
Tuesday, July 15, 2008

...That was buttressed by Gale and Tom Curcio, also neighbors of the Snows. "We knew him as a husband, father, swim team and crew team dad, musician, friend, and most of all a very generous man," said Gale Curcio.

"Tony was one of the most gracious and generous people I have ever met. He was totally non-affected by his fame. When my husband, Tom, first met him, he asked, "Are you related to that guy on TV?" Tony just smiled that wonderful smile and humbly said, "I am that guy," she stated.

Gale, a former Connection Newspapers reporter, recalled, "Even though he was a celebrity, he was never too busy to answer a call if I needed a quote. When I worked at UCM (United Community Ministries) he'd offer to do pro-bono fund raising gigs with his band "Beats Workin," Curcio said.

"He most recently donated a "Lunch with Tony Snow" for an auction I chaired. His wife, Jill, is equally as gracious and generous. The Mount Vernon neighborhood is very sad at the loss of our friend," she said.

-this is the same tony snow, who went from shilling indirectly for the bush administration as a tv "news" personality, to doing so directly as the white house's official mouthpiece:

Jul 15,2008

Bush will attend Tony Snow's funeral Thursday

WASHINGTON --President Bush and his wife, Laura, visited on Monday with the family of the former White House press secretary Tony Snow at their home in Alexandria, who died Saturday of colon cancer at age 53.

Snow, the former deputy editorial page editor at The Detroit News, was survived by his wife, Jill, and their three children. The Bushes went to Snow's home in Alexandria, Va., and hugged family members on the porch before going inside.

The Bushes will attend Snow's funeral Thursday at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

Snow was the White House press secretary from May 2006 until last September. He long was a member of Washington's power circles, and a familiar face across the country, as a conservative commentator and an interviewer on TV and radio for Fox News.

Posted on Jul 13,2009

Remembering Alexandria's Tony Snow

After the death of Snow a year ago, then-President Bush lauded the longtime Alexandrian and Little League coach as a man who "brought a certain civility to this very contentious job."

Bush and his wife Laura paid a visit to Snow's widow, Jill, sitting on the front porch of their Alexandria rambler, their son and two daughters, swapping old stories. The White House called it a private visit and did not release further details, or an official photo.

Galen said that his rough-and-tumble newspaper career put Snow in good stead, giving him "sharp elbows under the hoop" by the time he got to The White House, where he had the "walk-in authority" to enter any meeting wth the President and his advisers. "He didn't want 'walk-in authority' to swagger around the other White House staff to prove he was a SOMEbody; he wanted it so he could do his job better for the President," Galen recalled. "That was Tony's way."

i readily admit that the fact that curcio was directly connected to snow on its own does not prove if she had or would have knowingly written a sneaky psyop piece to help swindle the public about wherley's death, but it does establish that Curcio had at least one close friend and neighbor who was directly connected to, and an outspoken and devoted tool for the W administration, who we know (at the VERY least) directly benefitted from 9/11. so make of it what you will...

but overall, in spite of the info/facts cited above, i still believe that using a train collision as a method of assassination isnt exactly efficient nor the obvious first choice, but who knows? the main thing absent for us as outsiders at least, is MOTIVE. why the need to eliminate wherley? IF there was such a motivation and IF he was indeed murdered, we as outsiders (civillians) will never know. IF he was murdered, given wherley's direct inside-military connections and background, there may have existed an "extra ordinary" need to make sure there would be little to no doubt or suspicion about how he died, or else some high-up military people might start digging into his death in search of answers. so a train accident would indeed be a very un-obvious way to get rid of somebody - that is- IF you were looking to eliminate somebody.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:


RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2022 - 09:23 AM