Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Georgia... Russia/us/israel 'proxy' War Has Begun
Pilots For 9/11 Truth Forum > General > Latest News
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Devilsadvocate
War in Ossetia

For those who don't know:
Ossetia is a province formally belonging to Georgia (no, not in the US; that's 'Georgia' near the Black sea.)
About two-thirds of the population (Total around 100000) are Ossetian; just under one third is Georgian, the remainder are various minorities.
As a minority within Georgia, they have not fared too well under Georgian rule; not surprisingly, they subsequently want little to do with that state. After a war for independence in 1992, the region has been defacto autonomous with the support of Russia.
On two occasions, votes were held to determine the fate of Ossetia. The votes were covered by independent observers; the vast majority of the people there decided they want nothing to do with Georgia.
The UN decided that the votes shoud not count- on the grounds that few members of the Georgian minority there voted. It could be argued that even if all of them would have voted in favor of Ossetia remaining part of Georgia, it would have made preciously little difference. Ah, well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Ossetia

The Georgian president has stated that he wants to restore 'the integrity of Georgia's territory':
Over the last few years, he has received support from the United States:
Georgia is presently the third-largest contributor to the occupation of Iraq; a short while ago, 1000 US-Marines have been training Georgian troops. Presently, 100 or so military advisors are still in the country.

Georgia's president seems to have now decided that the Olympic games provide perfect timing for an attempt to restore the 'territorial integrity of Georgia':
He has sent troops into the place.

Naturally, the Media have been quick to present the western public with proper coverage of the Russian act of agression...err...

Let me be clear about this.
There has been a correspondent for the news-agency 'Reuters' just outside of the Ossetian capital,Tskhinvali, who reported that the city was under heavy bombardment from artillery and aircraft. Pictures and video-footage show artillery-rockets being fired and impacting between buildings.
These reports and pictures appeared hours *before* Russian tanks arrived there.
The timing suggests Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili may have been counting on surprise to fulfill his longtime pledge to wrest back control of South Ossetia — a key to his hold on power.

Saakashvili agreed the timing was not coincidental, but accused Russia of being the aggressor. "Most decision makers have gone for the holidays," he said in an interview with CNN. "Brilliant moment to attack a small country."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/eu...ict-888487.html
Mr Saakashvili, a US-educated lawyer who succeeded Eduard Shevardnadze in 2004 and has since tried to align it more closely to the West, compared the Russian action with the invasion of Afghanistan in 1979 and appealed to the outside world to intervene.

"Russia is fighting a war with us in our own territory," he told CNN as Russian armour rolled into South Ossetia.

"It's not about Georgia anymore. It's about America, its values: we are a freedom-loving nation that is right now under attack."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle4486208.ece

The German website 'Spiegel online' actually manages to outdo itself with *this* mindboggling attempt at half-arsed journalism:

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-34030-11.html

Caption (my translation):
"This resident of the capital Tskhinvali greets the invading Georgian troops"

Err- no. Not quite. At least if the flags on the leading vehicle (visible just at the righthand edge of the picture, to the right of the jeep) are anything to go by.
Because if I'm not mistaken, those flags are pretty much the same as these:

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-34030-13.html

In other words- the gentleman is greeting invading *Russian* troops...not *Georgian* troops.
And if those Russian vehicles were still hours away from Tskhinvali, then that gentleman can hardly be a resident of Tskhinvali. Can he now ?

So.
The president of Georgia claims sovereignty over South Ossetia.
And he is trying to back those claims up by bombing the hell out of the population of that place.
The Russians seem to object to that, and he's about to get his rear end whipped.
And so he's now whinging and whining and wants the rest of the world to start world war three in his honor.
I would be surprised if the Russians wouldn't be 'credited' with the huge death-toll in Ossetia over the next few days. And it will be a load of hogwash.
I don't doubt that the Russians have their own aganda here.
But the residents of Tskhinvali sure as hell have absolutely no reason to greet their Georgian 'Liberators'...
Meanwhile, I hope to god that Bush doesn't start to believe that that place is named after him...
And what about our 'free western media'...?

(Our *what* ? Oh,well...And altogether:)
"♪Ah ! ça ira, ça ira, ça ira...♪"
Devilsadvocate
Watch this space...
That conflict has the potential to become extremely explosive.
And it may well be aimed at keeping the Russians pre-occupied...

This is important:
How much media-coverage about this conflict exists in the US right now?

And compare it with Painters post:

http://pilotsfor911truth.org/forum//index....showtopic=14140
painter
QUOTE (Devilsadvocate @ Aug 8 2008, 06:36 PM) *
This is important:
How much media-coverage about this conflict exists in the US right now?

MSNBC Embedded Video: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp=26094998#26095477

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp=26094998#26092138

New York Times: Georgian and Rrussian Forces Facing Off in Rebel Province

Reuters: U.S. tells Russia to pull forces out of Georgia

Senator BIDEN Issues Statement on Continued Violence in South Ossetia; calls on UN Security Council to get involved:
http://biden.senate.gov/press/press_releas...96-e8e148330671

VOA: UN Security Council Fails to Agree on Georgia

Chicago Tribune: Russia, Georgia come to blows; U.S. may be forced into tough decisions

Reuters: Update 1-Georgia to impose martial law, port bombed-official
albertchampion
i think that the next ww is about to begin.

there will be no presidential elections. the draft will be reinstated.

george walker bush will become the president of the us politburo.

the fbi will be renamed the ohkrana. the cia will be renamed the nkvd.

and the gulags will be labeled sozhenitzyns[and virtually no one will know that that signifies].

i was at a luncheon the other day. someone asked me what i did. i told them that i was a historian, a librarian.

they then asked me what i studied. i told them that my study/my library starts with truman and the national security act of 1947. why that, i was asked. i replied that was when the end of the democratic republic became codified.
UnderTow
The president of Georgia claims sovereignty over South Ossetia.
And he is trying to back those claims up by bombing the hell out of the population of that place.
The Russians seem to object to that, and he's about to get his rear end whipped.
And so he's now whinging and whining and wants the rest of the world to start world war three in his honor.
I would be surprised if the Russians wouldn't be 'credited' with the huge death-toll in Ossetia over the next few days. And it will be a load of hogwash.
I don't doubt that the Russians have their own aganda here.
But the residents of Tskhinvali sure as hell have absolutely no reason to greet their Georgian 'Liberators'...

Just wanted to quote that part out for my own edification.

Personally, since my msm exposure equals about Zero, I barely knew about the War events of today. I heard about it from early this morning, but haven't wandered to read any msm source on it yet.
painter
QUOTE (albertchampion @ Aug 8 2008, 08:23 PM) *
i think that the next ww is about to begin.

there will be no presidential elections. the draft will be reinstated.

george walker bush will become the president of the us politburo.

the fbi will be renamed the ohkrana. the cia will be renamed the nkvd.

and the gulags will be labeled sozhenitzyns[and virtually no one will know that that signifies].

I can't make predictions but yours seem completely plausible to me.
Devilsadvocate
One interesting detail:
The majority of the people in that place are ethnic Ossetians. They have little reason to trust the Georgians, and claim that during the Soviet era the Georgians were more Stalinist then the Russians (not surprisingly, considering that Iosef Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili actually was Georgian).
They feel more akin with the Russians, and most of them have accepted the offer to receive a Russian passport.
In practical terms, this means that the Russians- under the Russian constitution- are compelled to defend them against any attack, regardless of location.

The western media seem hell-bend to portray this as an act of aggression by the Russians (which technically it is, since Ossetia is officially still recognised by the UN and the west in general as Georgian territory).
However:
Saakashvili claims Ossetia as Georgian territory.
Officially, it is seen as Georgian territory.
This would make the Ossetians Georgian citizens.
There were reports of shelling and bombing in Tskhinvali earlier in the day:
Well before Russian troops even got near the place.
This means that Georgia has been bombing its own citizens.
André

Devilsadvocate
Dated 3/2/2004 :

Russia denounces US-Georgia pact: A defense pact concluded between the US and Georgia, a former Soviet Republic in the Caucasus, has been denounced in the Russian Parliament as unfriendly and threatening to Russia's security. The Russian Parliament said that the accord "is aimed at further build-up of American military presence in Trans-Caucasus" and warned that this "ran counter to the spirit of a treaty of friendship, good-neighborhood, cooperation and mutual security that Russia and Georgia are working on." Russian lawmakers voiced concern that the US-Georgia defense pact could pave the way to "the use of US armed forces in Georgia for resolving by force the conflicts in Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/3-2-2004-51178.asp

(Edit: Link to Eurasianet.org article added)
http://www.eurasianet.org/departments/insi...av041603a.shtml

The Georgian parliament ratified the bilateral agreement on defense cooperation in late March. Since then Russian government officials have kept up a steady stream of invective against the pact. Under the agreement’s provisions, US military personnel are allowed visa-free entry and exit from Georgia, are permitted to carry weapons and are immune from prosecution in Georgian courts. The agreement also grants the US military to deploy hardware without impediments on Georgian territory.

(The agreement was signed by Edvard Shevardnadze a few months before his disposal.)

George...Have you been signing things again...?
George??
George! You know the doctor said you can't sign things...
painter
DA, I hope you don't mind, but I'm changing the title of this thread. What is going on here is potentially very serious and your subject line just doesn't convey that at all. Thank you for your understanding.
painter
Thanks to sb5walker for this information:

Source:
http://www.debka.com/headline.php?hid=5496

Second separatist Abkhazia province joins Russian-Georgian South Ossetia war
DEBKAfile Special Report
August 9, 2008, 6:04 PM (GMT+02:00)

Russian jets bomb Georgian town of Gori

Latest developments Saturday, Aug. 9, 08
- Russian prime minister arrives in North Ossetia ---
- The Georgian president says his forces have repelled attacks in Abkhazia
- The foreign minister of Georgia’s second breakaway province Sergei Shamba said earier Abkhazian forces have launched air and artillery strikes to oust Georgian troops.
- Russian jets earlier bombed Georgian positions in Abkhazia’s Kodori Gorge.
- Medvedev tells Bush only way out of crisis is for Georgian troops to pull out of the conflict zone.
- Georgia claims shooting down of 10 Russian planes, destroying 30 tanks.
- Tbilisi parliament approves 15-day state of war and martial law.
- President Shaakashvili calls for a ceasefire.
- Bush said Georgia is a sovereign nation whose territorial integrity must be respected. Russia must stop bombing Georgian towns.
- He called on Russia and Georgia to stand their armies down, withdraw to the Aug. 6 status quo and support international mediation.
- Some 100,000 Russian troops are deployed to the troubled region.
- They include special forces from Moscow trained in combat behind enemy lines.
- They have taken the South Ossetian capital of Tskhinvali and are spreading across the region.
- All men aged 18-50 called to reserve duty as Georgia recalls 1,000 troops from Iraq.
- Russian fighters continue to pound the Georgian town of Gori.
- Local hospitals are overflowing with casualties. The region’s power, water and telephones are cut off.
- 30,000 refugees have fled the embattled region into Russia.
- Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov warned Georgia’s arms suppliers they will be held accountable for the South Ossetia situation.
DEBKAfile’s sources say this is directed at the United States and Israel.
- The two-day death toll in South Ossetia combat is estimated at 1,600.
- Russian jets struck Georgia’s Black Sea port of Poti, hitting container tanks, a naval base and military logistical center near a major pipeline from Baku.

Source:
http://www.debka.com/headline.php?hid=5498

Moscow ultimatum to Washington: Make Georgia move forces out of South Ossetia
DEBKAfile Special Analysis
August 9, 2008, 6:01 PM (GMT+02:00)

As Russian warplanes struck positions in Georgia’s second breakaway province of Abkhazia, Saturday, Aug. 9, President Dimitry Medvedev told President George W. Bush in a phone call that Georgia must withdraw its forces from South Ossetia for hostilities to end. Its leaders must also sign a legally binding document not to use force.

The virtual ultimatum was delivered in reply to the US president’s call on Russia to respect Georgian sovereign integrity and for both sides to accept international mediation.

After deploying 100,000 troops and armor to occupy most of South Ossetia and warplanes to blast the Georgian town of Gori and Black Sea port of Poti, Russia’s ambassador to NATO said Russia does not consider itself to be in a state of war and accused Georgia of ethnic cleansing.

As they spoke, the Abkhazian foreign minister Sergei Shamba announced that the secessionist province had launched air and artillery strikes to oust Georgian troops from its positions in the Kodori Gorge. Russian jets earlier bombed those positions. The Georgian president said his forces had successfully repelled those attacks.
DEBKAfile’s military analysts: Tiny Georgia with an army of less than 18,000, having been roundly defeated in South Ossetia, cannot hope to withstand the mighty Russian army in Abkhazia, even after initial successes. Therefore, President Mikhail Saakashvili, who was planning to join NATO, must consider both breakaway regions lost to Georgia and gained by Russia.

Moscow has thus achieved payback for the US-NATO success in detaching Kosovo from Serbia and approving its independence. The Russians have also signalled a warning to Ukraine, the Caucasus and Central Asia against joining up with the United States and the NATO bloc in areas which Moscow deems part of its strategic sphere of influence

After the severance of South Ossetia and Abkhazia from Georgia, four follow-up Russian steps may be postulated:
1. The two separatist provinces will proclaim their independence, just like Kosovo.
2. Russia will continue to exercise its overwhelming military and air might to force the pro-American Saakashvili’s capitulation.
3. The Georgian president cannot last long in office after suffering this major loss of territory and national humiliation. Moscow aims to make Washington swallow a pro-Russian successor.

4. Moscow’s South Ossetia-Abkhazia victory against Georgia and its Western backers will serve as an object lesson for Russia’s own secessionist provinces such as Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushettia not to risk defying Russian armed might.

Source:
http://www.debka.com/article.php?aid=1358

Israel backs Georgia in Caspian Oil Pipeline Battle with Russia

DEBKAfile Exclusive Report

August 8, 2008

Georgian tanks and infantry, aided by Israeli military advisers, captured the capital of breakaway South Ossetia, Tskhinvali, early Friday, Aug. 8, bringing the Georgian-Russian conflict over the province to a military climax.
Russian prime minister Vladimir Putin threatened a “military response.”

Former Soviet Georgia called up its military reserves after Russian warplanes bombed its new positions in the renegade province.
In Moscow’s first response to the fall of Tskhinvali, president Dimitry Medvedev ordered the Russian army to prepare for a national emergency after calling the UN Security Council into emergency session early Friday.

Reinforcements were rushed to the Russian “peacekeeping force” present in the region to support the separatists.

Georgian tanks entered the capital after heavy overnight heavy aerial strikes, in which dozens of people were killed.

Lado Gurgenidze, Georgia's prime minister, said on Friday that Georgia will continue its military operation in South Ossetia until a "durable peace" is reached. "As soon as a durable peace takes hold we need to move forward with dialogue and peaceful negotiations."

DEBKAfile’s geopolitical experts note that on the surface level, the Russians are backing the separatists of S. Ossetia and neighboring Abkhazia as payback for the strengthening of American influence in tiny Georgia and its 4.5 million inhabitants. However, more immediately, the conflict has been sparked by the race for control over the pipelines carrying oil and gas out of the Caspian region.

The Russians may just bear with the pro-US Georgian president Mikhail Saakashvili’s ambition to bring his country into NATO. But they draw a heavy line against his plans and those of Western oil companies, including Israeli firms, to route the oil routes from Azerbaijan and the gas lines from Turkmenistan, which transit Georgia, through Turkey instead of hooking them up to Russian pipelines.

Saakashvili need only back away from this plan for Moscow to ditch the two provinces’ revolt against Tbilisi. As long as he sticks to his guns, South Ossetia and Abkhazia will wage separatist wars.

DEBKAfile discloses Israel’s interest in the conflict from its exclusive military sources:
Jerusalem owns a strong interest in Caspian oil and gas pipelines reach the Turkish terminal port of Ceyhan, rather than the Russian network. Intense negotiations are afoot between Israel Turkey, Georgia, Turkmenistan and Azarbaijan for pipelines to reach Turkey and thence to Israel’s oil terminal at Ashkelon and on to its Red Sea port of Eilat. From there, supertankers can carry the gas and oil to the Far East through the Indian Ocean.

Aware of Moscow’s sensitivity on the oil question, Israel offered Russia a stake in the project but was rejected.

Last year, the Georgian president commissioned from private Israeli security firms several hundred military advisers, estimated at up to 1,000, to train the Georgian armed forces in commando, air, sea, armored and artillery combat tactics. They also offer instruction on military intelligence and security for the central regime. Tbilisi also purchased weapons, intelligence and electronic warfare systems from Israel.

These advisers were undoubtedly deeply involved in the Georgian army’s preparations to conquer the South Ossetian capital Friday.

In recent weeks, Moscow has repeatedly demanded that Jerusalem halt its military assistance to Georgia, finally threatening a crisis in bilateral relations. Israel responded by saying that the only assistance rendered Tbilisi was “defensive.”

This has not gone down well in the Kremlin. Therefore, as the military crisis intensifies in South Ossetia, Moscow may be expected to punish Israel for its intervention.

grizz
Did the U.S. Prep Georgia for War with Russia?

By Nathan Hodge
August 08, 2008 | 12:52:00 PM

Georgia and Russia are careening towards war. And the U.S. isn't exactly a detached observer in the fight. The American military has been training and equipping Georgian troops for years.

The news thus far: Georgia, which has been locked in a drone war over the separatist enclave of Abkhazia, has launched an offensive to reclaim another breakaway territory, South Ossetia. Latest reports indicate that Georgian forces are laying siege to Tskhinvali, the South Ossetian capital. And Russia, which has backed the separatists, is sending in the tanks.

So why should we care? Oh, just the prospect of a larger regional war that could drag in Russia – and involve the United States as well. Since early 2002, the U.S. government has given a healthy amount of military aid to Georgia. When I last visited South Ossetia, Georgian troops manned a checkpoint outside Tskhinvali -- decked out in surplus U.S. Army uniforms and new body armor.

The first U.S. aid came under the rubric of the Georgia Train and Equip Program (ostensibly to counter alleged Al Qaeda influence in the Pankisi Gorge); then, under the Sustainment and Stability Operations Program. Georgia returned the favor, committing thousands of troops to the multi-national coalition in Iraq. Last fall, the Georgians doubled their contingent, making them the third-largest contributor to the coalition. Not bad for a nation of 4.6 million people.

Leaving aside the question of Russian interference (see below), the larger concern has been that Georgia might be tempted to use its newfound military prowess to resolve domestic conflicts by force.

As Sergei Shamba, the foreign affairs minister of Abkhazia, told me in 2006: “The Georgians are euphoric because they have been equipped, trained, that they have gained military experience in Iraq. It feeds this revanchist mood… How can South Ossetia be demilitarized, when all of Georgia is bristling with weaponry, and it’s only an hour’s ride by tank from Tbilisi to Tskhinvali?”

One of the U.S. military trainers put it to me a bit more bluntly. “We’re giving them the knife,” he said. “Will they use it?”

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/08/did-us-military.html
grizz
Sanders, here is the Georgian flag. whistle.gif

painter
Condoleezza was in Georgia "to discuss NATO" on July 10:

painter
Source:
http://www.opednews.com/articles/The-Russi...080808-700.html

August 8, 2008 at 22:36:47
The Russian Conflict In Georgia Could Make War With Iran More Probable

by William Cormier

Even though the Mainstream News Media has remained quiet on the issue, the United States sending two more aircraft carrier groups to the Middle-East is alarming at this stage of the failed negotiations between the Europeans, the United States, and Israel. Cheney has been outed for plotting to fabricate a reason for starting a war with Iran - par for the course for a Vice-President that openly shows his disgust for the American people; now, with two more carrier groups, another nuclear submarine, two (2) more U.S. destroyers, a supply ship, and who knows what else has entered the Persian Gulf unannounced:

‘2 US aircraft carriers headed for Gulf’

By ADAM GONN, THE MEDIA LINE NEWS AGENCY 8-7-08

Two additional United States naval aircraft carriers are heading to the Gulf and the Red Sea, according to the Kuwaiti newspaper Kuwait Times.

While the Kuwaiti daily did not name the ships it believed were heading for the Middle East, The Media Line’s defense analyst said they could be the USS Theodore Roosevelt and the USS Ronald Reagan.

Meanwhile, the Arabic news agency Moheet reported at the end of July that an unnamed American destroyer, accompanied by two Israeli naval vessels traveled through the Suez Canal from the Mediterranean. A week earlier, a US nuclear submarine accompanied by a destroyer and a supply ship moved into the Mediterranean, according to Moheet. More

Make no mistake, we have sent extra naval assets to the Middle-East before, and no attack occurred. That was before we found out that Dick Cheney was contemplating duplicating speed boats of the type the Iranians use, bring them into the Persian Gulf covertly, and then man them with heavily armed Navy Seals that would engage in a false-flag firefight with one or more of our ships in the Gulf to precipitate our entry into an Iran war. LINK This is common knowledge and is posted on numerous sites throughout the Internet. It’s extremely hard to avoid war when Darth Cheney is plotting behind the scenes to hatch a plan to force the U.S. into war with Iran, and the eventual outcome of his side-stepping the constitution and the rule of law are apt to cost countless innocent American and Iranian lives.

I have always maintained that if we attack Iran, there will be a furious amount of diplomacy going on behind the scenes between the U.S., Russia, and China - both of whom we would have to give up tremendous security issues to get them to covertly place their guarded blessings on a US/Israel attack on Iran. Right now, the stage is being set. Russia has sent tanks into Georgia LINK and have vowed to protect Russian interests and it looks as if a full-blown conflict/war could evolve from this situation, and the U.S. is currently backing Georgia. If this Iran attack does happen, you can bet that we will issue harsh warnings and a possible complaint through the U.N. Security Council, but other than that, our threats will be hollow. You have to give a little to get a little, and the dominoes seem to be falling into place.

What can we do to stop this war from being started? I honestly don’t have an answer to that, and our hope lies with our senior military commanders who have already spoke-out against starting a third war and have been adamant that war with Iran, at this time, is not in our best interests. Will these same commanders refuse to follow orders and retire immediately, or are we again at the mercy of George Bush and Dick Cheney? At this point, no one has a viable answer to those questions, however, sending the increased naval assets to the Persian Gulf when tensions are this high is asking for trouble - and we may find it, far more serious than any of us have been led to believe. This is a war that will be started because we’re protecting Israel’s interests, not our own, and that smacks of sedition to me. When we place the perceived paranoia and needs of another nation over the safety and welfare of US inhabitants, something is definitely rotten in the cookie jar!

We do have a slight hope, and that’s for all concerned Americans to light-up your Congressman’s phone(s), unabated, until you receive the answers you want to hear. Nothing good comes easy, and several times during the past couple of years, we have scored some major successes by banding together and fighting for a common cause. Keeping the Middle-East “stable” appears to be important to all of us, as a disruption of the oil coming out of that area could plunge our economy into a downward spiral that could take generations to recover from - if its salvageable at all!

Today The Washington Post released a study that indicates even though an attack on Iran might take place, it has serious doubts of actually being successful - and the end result of such an attack may guarantee that Iran will pursue and obtain the “bomb” out of frustration and nationalism that would materialize from any large-scale attack directed at Iran:

Study Cautions Against Strike on Iran’s Nuclear Facilities

By Joby Warrick
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, August 8, 2008

A military strike against Iran’s nuclear facilities would probably only delay the country’s progress toward nuclear-weapons capability, according to a study that concludes that such an attack could backfire by strengthening Tehran’s resolve to acquire the bomb.

The analysis by the Washington-based Institute for Science and International Security found that Iran’s uranium facilities are too widely dispersed and protected — and, in some cases, concealed too well — to be effectively destroyed by warplanes. And any damage to the country’s nuclear program could be quickly repaired.

“Following an attack, Iran could quickly rebuild its centrifuge program in small, easily hidden facilities focused on making weapon-grade uranium for nuclear weapons,” said principal author David Albright, ISIS president and a former U.N. weapons inspector. MUCH MORE

From this writer’s perspective, an attack on Iran either by Israel with the United States aiding in the attack, or a unilateral attack on Iran by the U.S. has consequences that far outweigh the benefits of such an attack that are guaranteed to finish-off our economy, usher in martial law, and could lead to World War III if the U.S. proceeds without the tacit approval of Russia and China. As tensions increase, and even Pakistan becomes unstable, there’s a chance that an Iranian War could set the whole Middle-East on fire as has been foretold countless times.

Most Americans have no idea the situation is this serious, lulled into complacency by a MSM that still refuses to address issues that are vital to our national security and ability to maintain the democratic republic we live in - all of whom are controlled by corporate interests whose agenda is contrary to that of the American people. The terms “treason” and “subversion” are thrown around lately describing several government activities - however, none of them would be possible without the complicity of the MSM; their crimes border on both of the above for failing to uphold their journalistic duty that a free press has traditionally been charged with but is now nothing more than an extension of the Pentagon’s propaganda system. A free press is tantamount in keeping our government in check, but the way the press works now, it’s not “free” - but bought and sold as if it was simply another commodity. When we press our Congress for answers, if we do not challenge and “out” the MSM for being the corporate whores they are, there’s no question that we are ignoring one of the core problems that our society faces in a nation that is turning towards fascism and an MSM which condones and abets their (the government) conspiracy.

The future for all of us hangs on by a thread; we will either attack Iran and finish-off our economy and be embroiled in several years of more unnecessary war or we will band together in solidarity and demand that our voices are heard. This is an individual choice, one that everyone needs to make, and those who choose to do nothing will reap what they have sown as gas and food prices begin their upward trend directly after the 2008 Presidential elections. The lowering of fuel prices is no accident, but engineered by the GOP to take our minds off of critical issues that are destroying the American way of life. Don’t be fooled and don’t be lulled into complacency just because we have a short respite from being raped at the gas pumps and grocery stores, as this is only the calm before the storm. Look ahead, examine the lies we’ve already been told, and demand, today and until we receive a satisfactory answer - that Congress and our electoral process work for the people rather than against us, and remember that the GOP has proven themselves to be enemies of freedom and prosperity except for the chosen few that inhabit the ranks of the wealthy and elitists who are busy destroying the American Dream.

William Cormier
liberty-911
Is this, but not another Distraction away from the Legal Truth?

Article V
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.
This, Contract is and as still written, see above and signed in 1787! (In Colonial English).

2/3rd of Congress, both Houses; must Amend the Constitution.

3/4th of all State Legislators must Ratify the Amendment as written; or
3/4th of all State Conventions, must Ratify the Amendment as written.

ALSO

2/3rd of all State Conventions must Amendment the U.S. Constitution.

3/4th of all State Legislators must Ratify the Amendment as written; or
3/4th of all State Conventions, must Ratify the Amendment as written.

This is our Republic, 3/4th Ratification needed to Change this Contract.
This is Not a Democracy = 51 votes to 49 votes needed to Change this Contract.

This Contract has not Changed, as recorded since 1992, Why?

Yet, Article V and Article VI have been slowly, Abolished over the Years.

Constitutional Rights are NOW considered Privileges by Federal and State Laws.

The Bill of Rights protects; all the Articles unless Destroyed by Federal and State Laws.

The Declaration of Independence protects; “We the People”
Unless Destroyed by Federal and State Laws.

Our Republic protects our Borders, and only grows by Mutual Consent,
Not by Forced Wars to create a new Democracy since “We the People” are a Republic!

The complete Destruction of Article V of this Legal Contract;

Will completely Destroy all lesser Contracts, Bank, Mortgage, Insurance, Stock,
Social Security, Retirement, Marriage and all Contracts signed within U.S. Boundaries.
All Null and Void, just as the U.S. Constitution is now Null and Void. This is Subversion.
Refer to the Declaration of Independence or a new Declaration of Individual States!

States must resolve this Union that violates Truth, Justice and our U.S. Constitution.
Interest Free Coin, borrowed from the U.S. Treasury is the LAW!
Where is the Constitutional Proof to Change this specific Constitutional Right?

There is NONE, Folks.

The Georgia attack against Russia is just another Distraction financied by the
World Banks and all of there Private Property Owners creating, International Property
Ownership and all Holdings etc. have almost completely Destroyed our complete U.S. Constitution.
This is Why We Fight Wars, To Avoid The Truth of obvious Constitutional Violations.

To allow these above Crimes against our Government to continue, both
At the Federal and State Levels is the Ultimate Crime against AMERICA.
FIND YOUR TRUTH.
liberty-911
The First Solution To This Problem:

Is in front of your face, Shut Down The Federal Reserve Bank.

That Loans all Money To Our U.S. Treasury Including INTEREST.
Who said this monetary correction is going to be Easy?

Not, me.

Ounces of Humanity for Pounds of Flesh.

Soon this Truth will confront these Lies.

Guess Who will Win at the End?

Is your Wagon Prepared?
painter
QUOTE (liberty-911 @ Aug 9 2008, 04:35 PM) *
Is this, but not another Distraction away from the Legal Truth?

liberty, if you can't make a distinction between participating in this forum and spamming it, we'll have to make it for you. Is that what you want? Your post is off topic to this thread and I've spoilered it for that reason. If you want to start a thread on that topic, fine, do so in the appropriate forum and leave it at that.
liberty-911
The Georgia attack against Russia is just another Distraction financied by the
World Banks and all of there Private Property Owners creating, International Property
Ownership and all Holdings etc. have almost completely Destroyed our complete U.S. Constitution.
This is Why We Fight Wars, To Avoid The Truth of obvious Constitutional Violations.

To allow these above Crimes against our Government to continue, both
At the Federal and State Levels is the Ultimate Crime against AMERICA.

So this is off topic?

This spam is a message for everyone to prepare.

There is Nothing left for me to Say!

Except, may the Force of Truth be with you all.

Over and Out.
painter
QUOTE (liberty-911 @ Aug 9 2008, 06:24 PM) *
. . .
So this is off topic?
. . .

I don't disagree with your analysis but that isn't the point. This thread's topic is news, information and commentary about the conflict that is emerging in the Georgia region. That this conflict and all conflicts are rooted in the World Banking system a GIVEN so far as I'm concerned. Again, you are welcome -- encouraged, in fact -- to start threads on your own topics, explaining to people who may not know WHY World Bank interests are behind all such conflicts. Great. Go for it. But when you cut and past long excerpts from the Constitution or what have you into a thread like this it is a distraction. It is clutter. It makes it more difficult for people to grasp the significance of what is going on. Now, if you want to do some unique research and show the LINKS between specific WB interests and THIS conflict, which may very well go global, FINE!

If you don't understand what I'm asking you to do, please PM me because I don't want to keep taking this thread further off topic with meta-commentary.
CocaineImportAgency
...RE: Georgian Flag!... looks like that same Mob again!... well!... they have been at it for years!.... i guess there is no stopping them!?... dont you just love our Ruling Elite!?!... lets start queuing at the Soup kitchens!
albertchampion
interesting your mention of soup kitchens.

you might want to access this weekend's edition of the FT. page 4.

GERMAN SHOPPERS DIG IN FOR INFLATION BATTLE: CONSUMERS ARE TURNING TO SOUP KITCHENS AND EVEN FARM THEFT TO SURVIVE...
bill
Now this makes sense

If you look at a map of Georgia here is a valley that I would guess is the place the pipeline goes through

yep, right in the region that is is disputed

If we attack Iran this pipeline will be even more important

oil pipelines in Georgia

AMERICA’S PRO GEORGIAN POLICY is explained by Georgia’s access to the Caspian Sea’s oil wealth. The US backed British Petroleum (BP) pipeline, running from the Caspian Sea through Georgia, then below the Black Sea into Turkey, delivers oil to Europe and the US. The US & its European allies have been competing with Russia for control of the Caspian oil rich region.

The pipeline runs only 60 miles south of the South Ossetian capital, Tskhinvali, which sits right smack in the middle of northern Georgia. South Ossetia broke away from Georgia in the early 1990s and exists as an independent state with full Russian support. Most South Ossetian residents hold Russian passports.
bill
painter
A bit of background -- in two parts -- dated January 2002
Source:
http://atimes.com/c-asia/DA25Ag01.html

Central Asia/Russia

THE ROVING EYE
Pipelineistan, Part 1: The rules of the game

By Pepe Escobar

War against terrorism? Not really. Reminder: it's all about oil.

A quick look at the map is all it takes. It's no coincidence that the map of terror in the Middle East and Central Asia is practically interchangeable with the map of oil. There's Infinite Justice, Enduring Freedom - and Everlasting Profits to be made: not only by the American industrial-military complex, but especially by American and European oil giants.

Where is the realm these days of former US secretary of state James Baker, former national security adviser Brent Scowcroft, former White House chief of staff John Sununu and former defense secretary and current Invisible Man Dick Cheney? They are all happily dreaming of, and working for, the establishment of Pipelineistan.

Pipelineistan is the golden future: a paradise of opportunity in the form of US$5 trillion of oil and gas in the Caspian basin and the former Soviet republics of Central Asia. In Washington's global petrostrategy, this is supposed to be the end of America's oil dependence on the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). This is of course the heart of the matter in the New Great Game - compared to which the original 19th-century Great Game between czarist Russia and the British Empire was a childish tin soldier's diversion.

Afghanistan itself has some natural gas in the north of the country, near Turkmenistan. But above all it is ultra-strategic: positioned between the Middle East, Central Asia and South Asia, between Turkmenistan and the avid markets of the Indian subcontinent, China and Japan. Afghanistan is at the core of Pipelineistan.

The Caspian states hold at least 200 billion barrels of oil, and Central Asia has 6.6 trillion cubic meters of natural gas just begging to be exploited. Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan are two major producers: Turkmenistan is nothing less than a "gas republic". Apart from oil and gas there's copper, coal, tungsten, zinc, iron, uranium, gold.

The only export routes, for the moment, are through Russia. So most of the game consists of building alternative pipelines to Turkey and Western Europe, and to the east toward the Asian markets. India will be a key player. India, Iran, Russia and Israel are all planning to supply oil and gas to South and Southeast Asia through India.

It's enlightening to note that all countries or regions which happen to be an impediment to Pipelineistan routes towards the West have been subjected either to a direct interference or to all-out war: Chechnya, Georgia, Kurdistan, Yugoslavia and Macedonia. To the east, the key problems are the Uighurs of China's far-western Xinjiang and, until recently, Afghanistan.

More, much more than Afghanistan is involved. What's at stake is Eurasia. Zbigniew Brzezinski, stellar hawk and Jimmy Carter's former national security adviser, used to wax lyrical on Eurasia: "Seventy-five percent of the world population, most of its material riches, 60 percent of the world's GNP, 75 percent of sources of energy, and behind the US, the six most prosperous economies and the six largest military budgets." Brzezinski is on record stressing that the US would have to make sure "no other power would take possession of this geopolitical space".

The numbers are clear. According to the United States Energy Information Administration, in 2001 America imported an average of 9.1 million barrels per day - over 60 percent of its crude oil needs. In 2020, the country is projected to require almost 26 million barrels per day in imports. So Pipelineistan, in the Caucasus and in Central Asia - for the West and Japan but especially for America itself - cannot but be the strategic-military No 1 goal.

In this geostrategic grand design, the Taliban were the proverbial fly in the ointment. The Afghan War was decided long before September 11. September 11 merely precipitated events. Plans to destroy the Taliban had been the subject of international diplomatic and not-so-diplomatic discussions for months before September 11. There was a crucial meeting in Geneva in May 2001 between US State Department, Iranian, German and Italian officials, where the main topic was a strategy to topple the Taliban and replace the theocracy with a "broad-based government". The topic was raised again in full force at the Group of Eight (G-8) summit in Genoa, Italy, in July 2001 when India - an observer at the summit - also contributed its own plans.

Nor concidentally, Pipelineistan was the central topic in secret negotiations in a Berlin hotel a few days after the G-8 summit, between American, Russian, German and Pakistani officials. And Pakistani high officials, on condition of anonymity, have extensively described a plan set up by the end of July 2001 by American advisers, consisting of military strikes against the Taliban from bases in Tajikistan, to be launched before mid-October.

More recently, while most of the planet that has access to news was distracted by New Year's Eve celebrations, and only nine days after Hamid Karzai's interim government took power in Kabul, Bush II appointed his special envoy to Afghanistan. It comes as no surprise he is Afghan-American Zalmay Khalilzad - a former aide to the Californian energy giant UNOCAL. Khalilzad wasted no time in boarding the first flight to Central Asia. The Bush II team now does not even try to disguise that the whole game is about oil. The so-called brand-new American "Afghan policy" is being conducted by people intimately connected to oil industry interests in Central Asia.

In 1997, UNOCAL led an international consortium - Centgas - that reached a memorandum of understanding to build a $2 billion, 1,275-kilometer-long, 1.5-meter-wide natural-gas pipeline from Dauletabad in southern Turkmenistan to Karachi in Pakistan, via the Afghan cities of Herat and Kandahar, crossing into Pakistan near Quetta. A $600 million extension to India was also being considered. The dealings with the Taliban were facilitated by the Clinton administration and the Pakistani Inter Services Agency (ISI). But the civil war in Afghanistan would simply not go away. UNOCAL had to pull out.

American energy conglomerates, through the American Overseas Private Investment Corp (OPIC), are now resuscitating this and other projects. Already last October, the UNOCAL-led project was discussed in Islamabad between Pakistani Petroleum Minister Usman Aminuddin and American Ambassador Wendy Chamberlain. The exuberant official statement reads: "The pipeline opens up new avenues of multi-dimensional regional cooperation, particularly in view of the recent geopolitical developments in the region."

But there are practical problems with these "new avenues". Specialists at the James Baker (who else?) Institute in Texas stress that the main beneficiaries would be Turkmenistan and Afghanistan - which in itself is not a bad idea: Afghanistan would make a little money and perhaps be a little more stable. As far as the gas is concerned - liquefied and exported from Karachi - it would be too expensive compared with gas from the Middle East.

UNOCAL also has a project to build the so-called Central Asian Oil Pipeline, almost 1,700km long, linking Chardzhou in Turkmenistan to Russian's existing Siberian oil pipelines and also to the Pakistani Arabian Sea coast. This pipeline will carry 1 million barrels of oil a day from different areas of former Soviet republics, and it will run parallel to the gas pipeline route through Afghanistan.

Khalilzad is a very interesting character indeed. He was always a huge Taliban supporter. Four years ago, he wrote in the Washington Post that "the Taliban does not practice the anti-US style of fundamentalism practiced by Iran". Khalilzad only abandoned the Taliban after Bill Clinton fired 58 cruise missiles into Afghanistan in August 1998, in retaliation for the alleged involvement of Osama bin Laden and Al-Qaeda in the bombing of the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. Only one day after the attack, UNOCAL put Centgas on hold - and two months later abandoned plans for the trans-Afghan pipeline.

A little more than a year ago, Khalilzad was reincarnated in print in The Washington Quarterly, now stressing his four mains reason to ged rid of the Taliban regime as soon as possible: Osama bin Laden, opium trafficking, oppression of the Afghan people and, last but not least, oil.

Afghan diaspora sources in Paris acidly comment that Khalilzad will be regarded as nothing less than a traitor by fiercely proud and independent Afghans. Born in Mazar-i-Sharif in 1951, he is part of the Afghan ruling elite. His father was an aide to King Zahir Shah. Khalilzad was studying at the notoriously conservative University of Chicago when Afghanistan was invaded by the Red Army in December 1979. Later he became an American citizen and a special adviser to the State Department during the Reagan years. He was a strident lobbyist for more US military aid to the mujahedeen during the anti-USSR jihad - campaigning for widespread distribution of Stinger missiles.

Khalilzad was undersecretary of defense for Bush I, during the war against Iraq. After a stint at the Rand Corp think tank, he headed the Bush-Cheney transition team for the Defense Department and advised Donald Rumsfeld. But he was not rewarded with any promotions. The required Senate confirmation would raise extremely uncomfortable questions about his role as UNOCAL adviser and staunch Taliban defender. He was assigned instead to the National Security Council - no Senate confirmation required - where he reports to National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice.

Rice herself is a former oil-company consultant. During Bush I, from 1989-92, she was on the board of directors of Chevron, and was its main expert on Kazakhstan. Chevron has invested more than $20 billion in Kazakhstan alone. As for The Invisible Man, Vice President Dick Cheney, he was for five years a director of Halliburton, one of the top companies rendering service to the oil industry: present in 130 countries, 100,000 employees, turnover of almost $20 billion, a member of the Fortune 400. Cheney did a lot of business with the murderous Myanmar dictatorship, and invested heavily in Nigeria.

Both Cheney and Bush II spent an important part of their careers in Arbusto, a small company directed by Cheney. Arbusto never made money, but was handsomely supported by very wealthy Saudis. Among the shareholders there was one James Bath, very cozy with Bush I and chief money launderer for shady Gulf superstars, including one Salem bin Laden, one of the 17 brothers of Osama bin Laden.

All American secretaries of state since World War II have been connected with the oil industry - except two: one of them is Colin Powell, but in his case the president, vice president and national security adviser are all part of the oil industry anyway.

So everybody in the ruling plutocracy knows the rules of the ruthless game: Central Asia is crucial to Washington's worldwide petro-strategy. So is a "friendly" government in Afghanistan - now led by the always impeccably dressed and fluent English speaker Hamid Karzai. It does not matter that independent minds from Central Asia in exile in Europe unanimously ridicule Karzai as nothing else than a Taliban himself, and his Northern Alliance ministers as a bunch of crooks.

As for US corporate-controlled media - from TV networks to daily newspapers - they just exercise self-censorship and remain mute about all of these connections.

painter
Part Two
Source: http://www.atimes.com/c-asia/DA26Ag01.html

Central Asia/Russia

THE ROVING EYE Pipelineistan, Part 2: The games nations play
By Pepe Escobar

Two months ago, the White House was deliriously happy with the official opening of the first new pipeline of the Caspian Pipeline Consortium - a joint venture including Russia, Kazakhstan, Oman, ChevronTexaco, ExxonMobil and a bunch of other minor players.

This $2.65 billion pipeline links the enormous Tengiz oilfield in northwestern Kazakhstan to the Russian port of Novorossiysk on the Black Sea: from there, the sky - ie the world market - is the limit. Bush II, according to the White House, is developing "a network of multiple Caspian pipelines that also include the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan, Baku-Supsa, and Baku-Novorossiyisk oil pipelines, and the Baku-Tbilisi-Erzurum gas pipeline". So one of the key nodes in the American petrostrategy is composed by Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey.

The pipeline consortium for Baku-Ceyhan, led by British Petroleum, is represented by the law firm Baker & Botts. The principal attorney is none other than Texan superstar James Baker - secretary of state under Bush I and chief spokesman for the Bush II 2000 campaign when all gloves were off to shut down the Florida vote recount.

Texas-based, scandal-prone Enron, together with Amoco, Chevron, Mobil, UNOCAL and British Petroleum, were all spending billions of dollars to pump the reserves of Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan. Baker, Scowcroft, Sununu and Cheney have all closed major deals directly and indirectly on behalf of the oil companies. But now the Enron scandal has just exploded right in the face of the oil industry - and Bush II's administration. It will be very enlightening to see what the American tradition of investigative journalism will make of all this.

Enron once had a market value of $70 billion. It filed for bankruptcy in December 2001 after admitting it ovestated its profits by almost $600 million. Paul Krugman wrote that "Enron helped Dick Cheney devise an energy plan that certainly looks as if it was written by and for the companies that advised his task force". The Enron big-time crooks - close pals of Cheney and Bush II - dwarf any Asian "crony capitalists" Americans were carping about before and after the Asian financial crisis.

There's no shortage of crooks in the oil industry. Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan have intimate relations with Israeli military intelligence. A so-called "former" Israeli intelligence agent, Yousef Maiman, president of the Mehrav Group of Israel, is nothing less than "Special Ambassador", official negotiatior and even policymaker responsible for developing the enormous energy resources of Turkmenistan.

Maiman is a citizen of the gas republic by presidential decree - signed by the Turkmenbashi himself, the fabulously megalomaniac Saparmurad Niazov, former member of the Soviet Politburo. Maiman, according to the Wall Street Journal, is actively involved in advancing the "geopolitical goals of both the US and Israel" in Central Asia. He certainly does not beat around the bush: "Controlling the transport route is controlling the product." Nobody knows where Mehrav's money comes from.

Mehrav's planned pipelines bypass both Iran and Russia. But after the conquest of Afghanistan, oil sources in Singapore say Mehrav may consider dealing with Iran. It's all to do with the importance of the Turkish market. Russia and Turkmenistan are fiercely competing to conquer the Turkish gas market. Considering the strategic relationship between Turkey and Israel, the Israeli game remains preventing Turkish strategic dependence on Iran. Turkey is a NATO member and a key US ally. The US and Britain routinely strike against Iraq from Turkish bases - from which they patrol the unillateraly-declared Iraqi "no-fly zones". These "no-fly zones" are obviously not sanctioned by the UN.

Mehrav is also involved in a murderous project to reduce the flow of water to Iraq by diverting water from the Tigris and the Euphrates rivers to southeastern Turkey. And Magal Security Systems, an Israeli company, is also involved with Turkey: it will provide security for the 2,000 km-long oil pipeline from the Caspian Sea to the Turkish Mediterranean port of Ceyhan.

Crook-infested Enron - the biggest donor to the Bush campaign of 2000 - was ubiquitious: it conducted the feasibility study for the $2.5 billion trans-Caspian pipeline being built under a joint venture signed almost three years ago between Turkmenistan and Bechtel and General Electric. The go-between in the deal was none other than the Mehrav Group. Chairman Maiman spent a fortune hiring the Washington lobbying firm Cassidy and Associates to seduce official Washington with the trans-Caspian pipeline project.

The intrincate relationship between Israel, Turkey and the US means that as much as the trans-Caspian pipeline, the Baku-Ceyhan pipeline is also absolutely crucial. It could be extended to bring oil directly to thirsty Israel. During the Clinton years, oil giants were under tremendous pressure to build East-West pipelines. But all of them preferred to build North-South pipelines - much cheaper, but with the inconvenience of crossing Iran, an absolute anathema for Washington.

Russia already has a contract with Turkmenistan to purchase 30 billion cubic meters of gas a year. This represents a big blow to the US field of dreams, the trans-Caspian gas pipeline. This also means that Russia will never let go of its sphere of influence without a tremendous fight. The Central Asian republics are on its borders, Russia has dominated them for centuries and they are home to millions of Russians. Russian is still the language they all use to do business with each other.

Thanks to master political chess player Vladimir Putin, Russia is now on the cosiest terms possible with Washington - and US-Iran antipathy is apparently receding. Russia may eventually become a partner in at least some of Washington's petrostrategy games in Central Asia - like the Caspian Pipeline Consortium. The regional map also reveals that Iran, besides holding important gas reserves, offers the best direct access from the Caspian Sea to the Persian Gulf, where oil and gas can be quickly exported to Asian markets.

Iran assumes, not entirely without reason, that it is the rightful guardian of Central Asia because of centuries of ethnic, historical, linguistic and religious ties. And Iran is very conscious that American military links and now physical presence in Central Asia are part of a strategy to encircle it. But even amid so many geopolitical and ideological pitfalls, the fact remains that as long as the US is militarily involved in Afghanistan, there will be some sort of US-Iranian diplomatic engagement.

Under the control of the China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC), pipelines from Central Asia will also reach China's Xinjiang. Oil sources in Singapore stress that this will certainly spell a slump for the sea routes across the Indian Ocean and the Pacific. Washington is more than aware through its think tanks of the consequences: an extremely likely strategic realignment between China, Japan and Korea.

The Chinese have their sights on only one terrifying prospect: the encirclement of China by the US. UNOCAL is dreaming about profits. Washington is thinking about the robust Chinese economy. Whatever "war against terror" distractions, China remains the key strategic competitor to the US in the 21st century. With Afghanistan in the bag, UNOCAL dreams of monster profits in the Asian market - much higher than in Europe - while Washington closely monitors the Chinese economy: growth of 8 percent in 2000, 7 percent in 2001, and needing all the oil and gas it can get. Chinese strategists are working around the clock to develop local forms of energy production.

What happens next will be closely linked to the deliberations of the Shanghai Five, now Shanghai Six, or more burocratically, the Shangahi Cooperation Organization (SCO): China and Russia, plus four Central Asian republics (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Takijistan and Uzbekistan). Manouvering with extreme care, China is using the SCO to align Russia economically and politically towards China and northeast Asia. At the same time, Russia is using the SCO to maintain its traditional hegemony in Central Asia. The name of the game for solidifying the alliance is Russian export of its enormous reserves of oil and gas.

Since the NATO war against Yugoslavia and the de facto occupation of Kosovo - where America built its largest military base since the Vietnam War - China and Russia have their minds set on Chechnya and Muslim Xinjiang. For the moment, at least, America has absolutely no way of interfering in these domestic problems, since China and especially Russia are endorsing the war against terrorism.

The Taliban were never a target in the "war against terrorism". They were just a scapegoat - rather, a horde of medieval warrior scapegoats who simply did not fulfill their contract: to insert Aghanistan into Pipelineistan. All the regional players now know America is in Central Asia to stay, as Washington itself has been stridently repeating these last few weeks, and it will be influencing or disturbing the economy and geopolitics of the region. The wider world is absolutely oblivious to these real stakes in the New Great Game.

The US at the time of the Gulf War did not show any interest in replacing "Satan" Hussein. That would seriously compromise the American design to establish bases on the Arabian peninsula on the convenient pretext of helping poor Arab sheikhs against the Iraqi Evil Monster.

More than a decade later, Satan Hussein is still there, Bush I is now Bush II, and assorted Pentagon hawks are still fuming, trying to fabricate any excuse to blow Saddam back to Mesopotamian ashes. But Saddam will not be attacked, because Saddam is the ultimate reason for American military bases in the Gulf - a splendid affair because on top of it all it is a free ride, the expenses being paid by the ultra-flush sheikdoms. Now, after the (also unfinished) New Afghan War, American forces are already establishing themselves in Central and South Asia to once again "protect the interests of the free world".

It is never enough to remember that after the end of the communist regime in Afghanistan, the American strategy was to deliberately let Islamic extremism go wild - a perfect way to scare the unstable regimes in the Central Asian neo-republics. Islamic fundamentalism has always been a key card in the American strategic design since the Cold War days when the CIA subcontracted to the Pakistani ISI the arm-them-to-their-teeth policy regarding the mujahideen. It is always easy to forget that the good-guys-turned-bad-guys were once were hailed by Ronnie Reagan himself at the Oval Office as "the moral equivalent of the founding fathers".

America has been trying hard to "get" Afghanistan - the heart of Asia in Antiquity, the Pipelineistan crossroads of Asia nowadays - for more than 20 years. In the process, the mujahideen transformed Afghanistan, with CIA blessing, into the world's leading producer of heroin, opening the crucial and ultra-profitable drug pipeline Afghanistan-Turkey-Balkans-Western Europe. More than a martini, oil-arms-drugs is the classic CIA cocktail. This "Drugistan" road has just been spetacularly reopened after the fall of the Taliban.

Pipelineistan is not an end in itself. Oil and gas by themselves are not the US's ultimate aim. It's all about control. In Monopoly, Belgian writer Michel Collon wrote: "If you want to rule the world, you need to control oil. All the oil. Anywhere." If the US controls the sources of energy of its rivals - Europe, Japan, China and other nations aspiring to be more independent - they win. This explains why pipelines from the Caucasus to the West have to be America-friendly - ie Turkish or Macedonian - and not "unreliable", meaning Russian-controled. Washington, always, has to control everything: that's what Brzezinski and Henry Kissinger always said. The same goes for the military bases in Saudi Arabia, and now in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

There's no business like war business. Thanks to war against Iraq, the US has its military bases in the Persian Gulf. Thanks to war against Yugoslavia, the US has its military bases in Bosnia, Kosovo and Macedonia. Thanks to war against the Taliban, the US is now in Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Pakistan and Afghanistan. Not to mention the base in Incirlik, Turkey. The US is also in the Caucasus - in Georgia and Azerbaijan. Iran, China and Russia are practically encircled. There's no business like show business. Raise the curtains. Enter Pipelineistan. (Applause).
painter
2004 map:

painter
2007 Map:

painter
Source:
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gVEVAF...SyXJtrW3C6quvWQ

Azerbaijan halts oil exports via Georgia ports: state oil firm
1 day ago

BAKU (AFP) — Azerbaijan has halted oil exports via the Georgian ports of Batumi and Kulevi due to clashes between Russia and Georgia, the head of the state oil company said Saturday.

"Since last night the import and export of oil through the Georgian ports of Kulevi and Batumi have been halted," said Rovnag Abdullayev, the head of the Azeri state oil company SOCAR, in televised comments.

"This is due to armed actions in the area of the Georgia-Ossetia conflict."

He added that SOCAR was "looking into the possibility of exporting oil through the Baku-Novorossiysk pipeline, but the capacity of this pipeline is quite low," in a reference to a route that links the Azerbaijani capital to the Russian Black Sea Coast.

Earlier Saturday Russian planes staged a raid near the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan (BTC) pipeline, a major international oil route that runs through Georgia, but did not damage it, Georgia's prime minister said.

In recent years Georgia has become an important transport route for oil from Azerbaijan and other Caspian Sea oil producers, allowing Western oil firms to bypass Russia's oil pipelines.
Sanders
QUOTE (painter @ Aug 14 2008, 11:37 AM) *
Azerbaijan halts oil exports via Georgia ports: state oil firm

Uh-oh. Crude should be on it's way up again very soon.

Anyone wanna buy a used car? Time for me to get a bike!
painter
Background, 2006, that comments more specifically on the role of Israel and the US in the region:
Source: http://bakudot.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html

"1 October 2006 - Today.Az – The United States has always tried, for strategic reasons, to build gas pipelines, excluding Russia's participation, in order to prevent Europe from depending on Russian gas, which currently covers one third of its total needs of gas. Given the presence of key oil and gas fields in the Caspian Sea States, the US government has supported a consortium of oil companies (called the BTC Pipeline Company) to build the Baku-Ceyhan oil pipeline and the trans-Caspian gas pipeline. The two projects led to a convergence of interests between Iran and Russia, due to their growing concern to see both Azerbaijan and Georgia in close cooperation with NATO. This desire led the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) to decide in its meeting in Istanbul on November 1999 to go ahead with building an oil pipeline, linking the Caspian fields with the Mediterranean (Baku-Ceyhan). This was followed by another resolution calling for the establishment of a gas pipeline crossing through Turkmenistan to Baku and then to Turkey.

On July 13, 2006, the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan (BTC) pipeline, 1,760 km long, was inaugurated to transport more than 1 million barrels per day (bpd) of oil from oil fields in the Caspian Sea to the Mediterranean. The opening ceremony was attended by representatives of companies contributing to the financing of the pipeline as well as two Israeli representatives. Israel imports from the pipeline about 20% of its oil needs that is expected to increase from the Caspian Sea region in the future. In addition, Israel is playing a key strategic role in protecting the regions the pipeline passes through to outside Ceyhan. In other words, its role can be summed up in controlling the upper zone, east of the Mediterranean.

The Baku-Ceyhan oil pipeline, which is administered by the US-British oil giant, BP Company, has changed the geopolitical situation of the Eastern Mediterranean Zone that is associated with the corridor of the Caspian basin. The pipeline, which carries the oil and gas of Central Asia to the Eastern Mediterranean under the protection of Israel's military, was primarily designed to weaken the role of Russia in Central Asia and isolate China from the oil sources in Central Asia. It also helps transport part of the supply when the processing sources in the Middle East are interrupted. It also aims to isolate Iran, in addition to placing Israel as a new strong player in the global energy market through the new alliance between Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey and Israel.

Israel is now part of the British-American military axis that serves the interests of giant Western oil companies operating in the Middle East and Central Asia. Part of the oil transported via this line goes to Israel. Israel aims not only to obtain part of the Caspian Sea oil for the purpose of consumption, but also considers playing a key role in re-exporting the Caspian Sea oil to the Asian markets through its port on the Red Sea. This is reinforced by the coordination and the ongoing negotiations between Turkey and Israel over linking the Ceyhan Port in Turkey with the port of Ashkelon in Israel. This link is to be achieved by creating projects for the transport of oil, natural gas, water and electricity through four undersea pipelines, bypassing Syrian and Lebanese territories.

The Baku oil is transported to the port of Ashkelon, India and the Far East through the Red Sea. There is a military cooperation agreement between Tel Aviv and Ankara that supports supplying Israel with water from the Tigris-Euphrates basin in Anatolia. It is a long-term strategic objective of minimizing Syria, Iraq and maximizing the influence of Israel on them. Reports have indicated that secret negotiations are underway between Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Russian President Vladimir Putin through Olmert's multi-billionaire friend, Benny Steinmetz, in order to secure natural gas equipment for Israel through a pipeline under the Mediterranean linking Turkey with Israel. The Russian gas will be transported through the Russia-Turkey pipeline, which was established by Russia two years ago, across the Black Sea in order to increase Russian leverage in Turkey. President Putin seeks to gain some influence in Israel in order to counterbalance the unilateral US power over Israel's policy.

Energy is no longer a pure national issue in the world today. It is difficult today for a State to contain the difficulties caused by energy alone in a world where policy has become increasingly managed in the form of battles over energy sources that do not rule out the use of force. There are many documents confirming the readiness of the US to use military force in a war, or several wars, for oil. The invasion of Iraq, for example, has turned the Middle East, which has international economic importance, into a US military protectorate. The goal of US policy is to prevent the southern region (the Middle East, India, Iran, Pakistan and countries South of Russia) from submitting to only one player. It also aims to prevent these countries from working together under any form (alliances) to remove the US from its bases located on the southern coasts. The region is described as combining political chaos and rich energy sources and looks forward to regional hegemony.

To achieve full US sovereignty over the region, the US is striving by all means to prevent Russia, China, India and Japan from taking control over the South. This is hegemonic behavior: the more the State becomes stronger militarily, economically and politically, the more it expands its geopolitical influence and involvement beyond its immediate neighbors. Napoleon said: "To know a country's geography means to know its foreign policy".
painter
Since no one seems to be paying much attention to it on the other thread I started, I'll put this here as I believe these events are related:

Source:
http://europebusines.blogspot.com/2008/08/...s-for-iran.html

Massive US Naval Armada Heads for Iran
Timothy Alexander – August 8, 2008

Operation Brimstone ended only one week ago. This was the joint US/UK/French naval war games in the Atlantic Ocean preparing for a naval blockade of Iran and the likely resulting war in the Persian Gulf area. The massive war games included a US Navy supercarrier battle group, an US Navy expeditionary carrier battle group, a Royal Navy carrier battle group, a French nuclear hunter-killer submarine plus a large number of US Navy cruisers, destroyers and frigates playing the "enemy force".

The lead American ship in these war games, the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN71) and its Carrier Strike Group Two (CCSG-2) are now headed towards Iran along with the USS Ronald Reagon (CVN76) and its Carrier Strike Group Seven (CCSG-7) coming from Japan.

Northrop X47b UCAS's over the Operation Brimstone flotilla
They are joining two existing USN battle groups in the Gulf area: the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN72) with its Carrier Strike Group Nine (CCSG-9); and the USS Peleliu (LHA-5) with its expeditionary strike group.

Likely also under way towards the Persian Gulf is the USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7) and its expeditionary strike group, the UK Royal Navy HMS Ark Royal (R07) carrier battle group, assorted French naval assets including the nuclear hunter-killer submarine Amethyste and French Naval Rafale fighter jets on-board the USS Theodore Roosevelt. These ships took part in the just completed Operation Brimstone.

The build up of naval forces in the Gulf will be one of the largest multi-national naval armadas since the First and Second Gulf Wars. The intent is to create a US/EU naval blockade (which is an Act of War under international law) around Iran (with supporting air and land elements) to prevent the shipment of benzene and certain other refined oil products headed to Iranian ports. Iran has limited domestic oil refining capacity and imports 40% of its benzene. Cutting off benzene and other key products would cripple the Iranian economy. The neo-cons are counting on such a blockade launching a war with Iran.

The US Naval forces being assembled include the following:

Carrier Strike Group Nine
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN72) nuclear powered supercarrier
with its Carrier Air Wing Two
Destroyer Squadron Nine:
USS Mobile Bay (CG53) guided missile cruiser
USS Russell (DDG59) guided missile destroyer
USS Momsen (DDG92) guided missile destroyer
USS Shoup (DDG86) guided missile destroyer
USS Ford (FFG54) guided missile frigate
USS Ingraham (FFG61) guided missile frigate
USS Rodney M. Davis (FFG60) guided missile frigate
USS Curts (FFG38) guided missile frigate
Plus one or more nuclear hunter-killer submarines

Peleliu Expeditionary Strike Group
USS Peleliu (LHA-5) a Tarawa-class amphibious assault carrier
USS Pearl Harbor (LSD52) assult ship
USS Dubuque (LPD8) assult ship/landing dock
USS Cape St. George (CG71) guided missile cruiser
USS Halsey (DDG97) guided missile destroyer
USS Benfold (DDG65) guided missile destroyer

Carrier Strike Group Two
USS Theodore Roosevelt (DVN71) nuclear powered supercarrier
with its Carrier Air Wing Eight
Destroyer Squadron 22
USS Monterey (CG61) guided missile cruiser
USS Mason (DDG87) guided missile destroyer
USS Nitze (DDG94) guided missile destroyer
USS Sullivans (DDG68) guided missile destroyer

USS Springfield (SSN761) nuclear powered hunter-killer submarine

IWO ESG ~ Iwo Jima Expeditionary Strike Group
USS Iwo Jima (LHD7) amphibious assault carrier
with its Amphibious Squadron Four
and with its 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit
USS San Antonio (LPD17) assault ship
USS Velia Gulf (CG72) guided missile cruiser
USS Ramage (DDG61) guided missile destroyer
USS Carter Hall (LSD50) assault ship
USS Roosevelt (DDG80) guided missile destroyer

USS Hartfore (SSN768) nuclear powered hunter-killer submarine

Carrier Strike Group Seven
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN76) nuclear powered supercarrier
with its Carrier Air Wing 14
Destroyer Squadron 7
USS Chancellorsville (CG62) guided missile cruiser
USS Howard (DDG83) guided missile destroyer
USS Gridley (DDG101) guided missile destroyer
USS Decatur (DDG73) guided missile destroyer
USS Thach (FFG43) guided missile frigate
USNS Rainier (T-AOE-7) fast combat support ship

Also likely to join the battle armada:

UK Royal Navy HMS Ark Royal Carrier Strike Group with assorted guided missile destroyers and frigates, nuclear hunter-killer submarines and support ships

French Navy nuclear powered hunter-killer submarines (likely the Amethyste and perhaps others), plus French Naval Rafale fighter jets operating off of the USS Theodore Roosevelt as the French Carrier Charles de Gaulle is in dry dock, and assorted surface warships

Various other US Navy warships and submarines and support ships. The following USN ships took part (as the "enemy" forces) in Operation Brimstone and several may join in:

USS San Jacinto (CG56) guided missile cruiser
USS Anzio (CG68) guided missile cruiser
USS Normandy (CG60) guided missile cruiser
USS Carney (DDG64) guided missile destroyer
USS Oscar Austin (DDG79) guided missile destroyer
USS Winston S. Churchill (DDG81) guided missile destroyer
USS Carr (FFG52) guided missile frigate

The USS Iwo Jima and USS Peleliu Expeditionary Strike Groups have USMC Harrier jump jets and an assortment of assault and attack helicopters. The Expeditionary Strike Groups have powerful USMC Expeditionary Units with amphibious armor and ground forces trained for operating in shallow waters and in seizures of land assets, such as Qeshm Island (a 50 mile long island off of Bandar Abbas in the Gulf of Hormuz and headquarters of the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps).

The large and very advanced nature of the US Naval warships is not only directed at Iran. There is a great fear that Russia and China may oppose the naval and air/land blockade of Iran. If Russian and perhaps Chinese naval warships escort commercial tankers to Iran in violation of the blockade it could be the most dangerous at-sea confrontation since the Cuban Missile Crisis. The US and allied Navies, by front loading a Naval blockade force with very powerful guided missile warships and strike carriers is attempting to have a force so powerful that Russia and China will not be tempted to mess with. This is a most serious game of military brinkmanship with major nuclear armed powers that have profound objections to the neo-con grand strategy and to western control of all of the Middle East's oil supply.

The Russian Navy this spring sent a major battle fleet into the Mediterranean headed by the modern aircraft carrier the Admiral Kuznetsov and the flagship of its Black Sea Fleet, the Guided Missile Heavy Cruiser Moskva. This powerful fleet has at least 11 surface ships and unknown numbers of subs and can use the Russian naval facility at Syria's Tartous port for resupply. The Admiral Kuznetsov carries approximately 47 warplanes and 10 helicopters. The warplanes are mostly the powerful Su-33, a naval version (with mid-air refueling capability) of the Su-27 family. While the Su-33 is a very powerful warplane it lacks the power of the stealth USAF F-22. However, the Russians insist that they have developed a plasma based system that allows them to stealth any aircraft and a recent incident where Russian fighters were able to appear unannounced over a US Navy carrier battle group tends to confirm their claims. The Su-33 can be armed with the 3M82 Moskit sea-skimming missile (NATO code name SS-N-22 Sunburn) and the even more powerful P-800 Oniks (also named Yakhonts; NATO code name SS-N-26 Onyx). Both missiles are designed to kill US Navy supercarriers by getting past the cruiser/destroyer screen and the USN point-defense Phalanx system by using high supersonic speeds and violent end maneuvers. Russian subs currently use the underwater rocket VA-111 Shkval (Squall), which is fired from standard 533mm torpedo tubes and reaches a speed of 360kph (230mph) underwater. There is no effective countermeasures to this system and no western counterpart.

A strategic diversion has been created for Russia. The Republic of Georgia, with US backing, is actively preparing for war on South Ossetia. The South Ossetia capital has been shelled and a large Georgian tank force has been heading towards the border. Russia has stated that it will not sit by and allow the Georgians to attack South Ossetia. The Russians are great chess players and this game may not turn out so well for the neo-cons.

Kuwait has activated its "Emergency War Plan" as it and other Gulf nations prepare for the likelihood of a major regional war in the Middle East involving weapons of mass destruction.

The two-ton elephant in the living room of the neo-con strategy is the advanced biowar (ABW) that Iran, and to a lessor extent Syria, has. This places the motherlands of the major neo-con nations (America, France, the United Kingdom), as well as Israel, in grave danger. When the Soviet Union fell the Iranians hired as many out-of-work former Soviet advanced biowar experts as possible. In the last 15 or so years they have helped to develop a truly world class ABW program utilizing recombination DNA genetic engineering technology to create a large number of man made killer viruses. This form of weapon system does not require high tech military delivery systems. The viruses are sub-microscopic and once seeded in a population use the population itself as vectors. Seeding can be done without notice in shopping malls, churches, and other public places. The only real defense to an advanced global strategic biowar attack is to lock down the population as rapidly as possible and let those infected die off.

Unless the public gets it act together and forces the neo-cons to stop the march to yet another war in the Middle East we are apt to see a truly horrific nightmare unfold in OUR COUNTRIES.

And with that, I'm done.
Omega892R09
QUOTE (Devilsadvocate @ Aug 6 2008, 09:01 PM) *
For those who don't know:
Ossetia is a province formally belonging to Georgia (no, not in the US; that's 'Georgia' near the Black sea.)"♪Ah ! ça ira, ça ira, ça ira...♪"

Any such ignorance has a certain historical echo, many in the west didn't know where Serbia was in 1914, let alone Sarajevo.

The timing of this also has similarities with outbreaks of major hostilities of the previous century - people are on holiday, governments are in recess - well the publicly visible parts at least - and there is another major distraction.
painter
Well, I thought I was done. This might be worth a read, have only glanced through it myself.
Source: http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080818/ames

Getting Georgia's War On
by MARK AMES
August 8, 2008

The outbreak of war in Georgia on Friday offers a disturbing and somewhat surreal taste of what to expect from John McCain should he become our nation's Commander in Chief. As the centuries-old ethnic animosities between Georgia and Ossetia boiled over into another armed conflict, drawing in neighboring Russia, McCain issued a stark-raving statement from Des Moines that is disturbingly reminiscent of the language used in the lead-up to NATO's war against Yugoslavia in 1999, a war McCain zealously pushed for:

"We should immediately call a meeting of the North Atlantic Council to assess Georgia's security and review measures NATO can take to contribute to stabilizing this very dangerous situation," McCain said.

Calling on NATO to "stabilize this dangerous situation" is not going down well with Russia, where images of dead Russian peacekeepers and of frightened Ossetian refugees streaming across its borders have put the country in a very vengeful mood. It's hard to imagine what measures NATO could take under a McCain presidency, but in the mind of a man who thinks US troops should stay in Iraq for 100 years, and who runs around singing "Bomb Bomb Iran!" it's not hard to guess--and even harder not to be horrified by what it may mean come January 2009, should he win.

McCain's call to NATO-ize the war is not only frightening, it's also delusional: both NATO and US forces are already stretched beyond the breaking point, even by Joint Chief of Staff chairman Michael Millen's own recent assessment.

But McCain's brain remains undeterred by reality, a fact that became painfully clear today in Des Moines when he also demanded, "The US should immediately convene an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council to call on Russia to reverse course."
The problem with McCain's bold demand about going to the UN is that Russia already tried doing exactly what McCain called for--and got rejected by McCain's neocon pals in the Bush Administration. Early this morning, Russia convened an emergency session of the UN Security Council, calling on both sides to immediately cease hostilities, return to the negotiating table and renounce the use of force--but the last part about renouncing the use of force is exactly what Georgia's president Mikhail Saakashvili refuses to do.

The Bush Administration showed that it too has no patience with crunchy "renounce the use of force" resolutions. According to a Reuters report from earlier in the day:
At the request of Russia, the U.N. Security Council held an emergency session in New York but failed to reach consensus early Friday on a Russian-drafted statement.

The council concluded it was at a stalemate after the United States, Britain and some other members backed the Georgians in rejecting a phrase in the three-sentence draft statement that would have required both sides "to renounce the use of force," council diplomats said.

The meaning of this is clear: the United States and Britain are backing Saakashvili's invasion. Why would we back Saakashvili's reckless war, when last year even Bush was denouncing the Pinochet-wannabe's violent attack on his own people during a peaceful opposition protest in Georgia's capital, as well as shutting down the opposition media and exiling of political opponents? That would be a brain-teaser if the last seven years hadn't answered this question so many painful times already.

But with McCain, answering this is a little trickier. When he issued today's Des Moines statement calling for Russia to do what Russia already did a few hours earlier, you have to ask yourself: either McCain's short-term memory is totally shot, encased in an impenetrable tomb of aluminum-zirconium plaque... or worse, McCain simply doesn't give a damn about reality, he just wants to get Georgia's war on, as badly as Saakashvili does.

The awful truth is probably a combination of the two, which is the worst of all worlds, considering McCain's raving Russophobia, and his campaign team's financial and ideological ties to Saakashvili. As has been reported, McCain's top foreign policy advisor, neocon Randy Scheunemann, has a long financial relationship with Saakashvili to lobby his interests in the United States.

According to the Wall Street Journal:
In 2005, Mr. Scheunemann asked Sen. McCain to introduce a Senate resolution expressing support for peace in the Russian-influenced region of South Ossetia that wants to break away from Georgia, the records show.

Such resolutions of Senate support are symbolic but helpful to countries in their diplomatic relations. The Senate approved Sen. McCain's resolution in December 2005, and the Georgian Embassy posted the text on its Web site.

Sen. McCain has endorsed Georgia's goal of entering NATO, a matter for which the country hired Mr. Scheunemann to lobby. In 2006, Senator McCain gave a speech at the Munich Conference on Security in Germany in which he said "Georgia has implemented far-reaching political, economic, and military reforms" and should enter NATO, a text of his speech on the conference Web site shows.

Scheunemann, a bearded, pear-faced gun geek who looks like what might have happened to a GI Joe doll if it had spent years stuffing its face at pricey restaurants while power-schmoozing politicians and petty dictators, also worked for recently-disgraced Bush fundraiser Stephen Payne, lobbying for his Caspian Alliance oil business. The Caspian oil pipeline runs through Georgia, the main reason that country has tugged the heartstrings of neocons and oil plutocrats for at least a decade or more.

In 2006, McCain visited Georgia and denounced the South Ossetian separatists, proving that Scheunemann wasn't wasting his Georgian sponsor's money. At a speech he gave in a Georgian army base in Senaki, McCain declared that Georgia was America's "best friend," and that Russian peacekeepers should be thrown out.

Today, Georgian forces from that same Senaki base are part of the invasion force into South Ossetia, an invasion that has left scores--perhaps hundreds--of dead locals, at least ten dead Russian peacekeepers, and 140 million pissed-off Russians calling for blood.

Lost in all of this is not only the question of why America would risk an apocalypse to help a petty dictator like Saakashvili get control of a region that doesn't want any part of him. But no one's bothering to ask what the Ossetians themselves think about it, or why they're fighting for their independence in the first place. That's because the Georgians--with help from lobbyists like Scheunemann--have been pushing the line that South Ossetia is a fiction, a construct of evil Kremlin neo-Stalinists, rather than a people with a genuine grievance.

A few years ago, I had an Ossetian working as the sales director for my now-defunct newspaper, The eXile. After listening to me rave about how much I always (and still do) like the Georgians, he finally lost it and told me another side to Georgian history, explaining how the Georgians had always mistreated the Ossetians, and how the South Ossetians wanted to reunite with North Ossetia in order to avoid being swallowed up, and how this conflict goes way back, long before the Soviet Union days. It was clear that the Ossetian-Georgian hatred was old and deep, like many ethnic conflicts in this region. Indeed, a number of Caucasian ethnic groups still harbor deep resentment towards Georgia, accusing them of imperialism, chauvinism and arrogance.

One example of this can be found in historian Bruce Lincoln's book, Red Victory, in which he writes about the period of Georgia's brief independence from 1917 to 1921, a time when Georgia was backed by Britain:
the Georgian leaders quickly moved to widen their borders at the expense of their Armenian and Azerbaijani neighbors, and their territorial greed astounded foreign observers. 'The free and independent socialist democratic state of Georgia will always remain in my memory as a classic example of an imperialist small nation," one British journalist wrote.... "Both in territory snatching outside and bureaucratic tyranny inside, its chauvinism was beyond all bounds."

On Thursday, following intense Georgian shelling and katyusha rocketing into Tskhinvali, refugees streamed out of South Ossetia telling reporters that the Georgians had completely leveled entire villages and most of Tskhinvali, leaving "piles of corpses" in the streets, over 1,000 by some counts. Among the dead are at least ten Russian peacekeepers, who fell after their base was attacked by Georgian forces. Reports also say that Georgian forces destroyed a hotel where Russian journalists were staying.
In response, Russian jets bombed Georgian positions both inside South Ossetia and into Georgia proper, attacking one base where American military instructors are quartered (no Americans were reported hurt). By mid-afternoon Moscow time, as local television showed burning homes and Ossetian women and children huddling in bomb shelters, armored Russian columns were crossing into Georgian territory, and Georgia's President called for a total mobilization of military-aged men for war with Russia.

The invasion was backed up by a PR offensive so layered and sophisticated that I even got an hysterical call today from a hedge fund manager in New York, screaming about an "investor call" that Georgian Prime Minister Lado Gurgenidze made this morning with some fifty leading Western investment bank managers and analysts. I've since seen a J.P. Morgan summary of the conference call, which pretty much reflects the talking points later picked up by the US media.

These kinds of conference calls are generally conducted by the heads of companies in order to give banking analysts guidance. But as the hedge fund manager told me today, "The reason Lado did this is because he knew the enormous PR value that Georgia would gain by going to the money people and analysts, particularly since Georgia is clearly the aggressor this time." As a former investment banker who worked in London and who used to head the Bank of Georgia, Gurgenidze knew what he was doing. "Lado is a former banker himself, so he knew that by framing the conflict for the most influential bankers and analysts in New York, that these power bankers would then write up reports and go on CNBC and argue Lado Gurgenidze's talking points. It was brilliant, and now you're starting to see the American media shift its coverage from calling it Georgia invading Ossetian territory, to the new spin, that it's Russian imperial aggression against tiny little Georgia."

The really scary thing about this investor conference call is that it suggests real planning. As the hedge fund manager told me, "These things aren't set up on an hour's notice."
Where this war is leading is impossible to say, but as Iraq and Afghanistan, not to mention Chechnya, have shown, wars have a funny way of lasting longer, costing more in money and lives, and snuffing out whatever individual liberties the affected populations may have. As good as this war is for Saakashvili, who has become increasingly unpopular at home and abroad, or for McCain, whose poll numbers seem to rise every time the plaque devours another lobe of his brain, it also bodes well for the resurgent Prime Minister Putin, who seems to have become increasingly peeved with his hand-picked successor, President Dmitry Medvedev's flickering independence and his liberalizer shtick. There's nothing like a good war to snuff out an uppity sois-disant liberal who's getting in your way--even McCain can still grasp this concept.

As I'm filing this, Russian forces are battling to take back Tskhinvali, while Saakashvili has been alternately claiming to have pulled his forces back, or that his forces are in full control of the city and defeating the Russians. Meanwhile, Georgia has been on a massive, successful, multi-layered PR offensive in the West, helped by years of cultivating people like John McCain as well as the army of neocons and old cold warriors who naturally gravitate to a fight with Russia.
Sanders
Thanks painter, for keeping this under the spotlight. I noticed no less than a dozen articles related to the Georgian conflict over at WhatReallyHappened, some pointing to US complicity in starting all this.

It has often been suggested that Russian/China interests in Iran and a possible Russian reaction to US or Israeli aggression against that country has maybe been the only thing holding the Cheney administration back from expanding the war. This is a perfect way to minimise that danger - get Russia embroiled in a conflict of their own while blocking off unfettered land access from Russia to Iran through the Caucasus. Starting a war between Georgia and Russia is a brilliant move really, if you're thinking about invading Iran.

And then you have this unprecedented array of forces all headed for the Gulf. Folks, it's starting. Benjamin Fulford made references in his interview with Jeff Rense to something big happening on August 8th. Maybe this was it.

I don't think many of us are prepared to comment much on the Georgian theatre, simply because the area and it's history is so complicated and convoluted. Chechnya is just to the north, Georgia went head to head with Russia once before under the leadership of Shevardnadze , there have been numerous conflicts in this little area and the the borders of Armenia, Azerbaijan & Georgia have been redrawn numerous times. (The Armenian population, if I remember, was decimated as WWI was raging.) And who honestly knew much if anything about South Ossetia and their early-nineties bid for independence, or had ever even heard of Abkhazia? And then you have the whole giant worm-can that the only non-Russian pipelines from the oil and gas rich Caspian basin run right through this volitile area. Zbiggy Bzrezinski certainly knows how important and strategic Central Asia & the Caucasus is, as evidenced by his books on the topic and his fretting over the Russia & Chinese-led Shanghai Cooperation Organization (of which Iran is an observing member), not to mention the fact that Georgia is one of the only places in Central Asia that has let the US operate out of (albeit under the auspices of NATO). We have bases in Afghanistan of course and a tentative foothold in Kyrgyzstan off to the east, and operated one for a while in Uzbekistan before they threw us out a few years ago, but Georgia is unique in this region for it's long and friendly ties to the West.

I was just looking for something about US military operating out of Georgia over the past few years, (obstensibly as part of its "war on terror"), and stumbled on to this gem from 2002.

US quietly puts down roots in Georgia
CSM, May 17, 2002
http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0517/p08s01-woeu.htm
TBILISI, GEORGIA - A US military training program for Georgia, which gets under way this month, has more to do with stabilizing the still-weak former Soviet republic and furthering a NATO foothold in the Caucasus than in directly enlisting Georgian forces in the US-led antiterrorism campaign. Some two dozen US special forces trainers arrived in Georgia on April 30 as an advance team for the substantial US effort, which will train roughly 2,000 Georgian special forces over the next two years...

I had heard of Abkhazia actually (northernmost province in Georgia), because I learned that their flag contained an upheld hand (white on red) as does the flag of Northern Ireland (red on white). I believe the symbol of the up-held hand comes from the ancient Phoenicians (they used it as a sign in their trading - "hey what's up, let's do business!"). Note also that the flag of Georgia is exactly the Cross of Jeruselem, which was used by the original Templar knights (and later simplified), or that there were once kingdoms of Iberia (where the name now affixed to Spain-Portugal comes from), and Albania (now a country in the Balkans) right there in the Caucasus a couple thousand years ago. None of that is really pertinent to this thread (I'll probably comment on some of this stuff in Research), but I just wanted to point out that the history of this little area is about as deep and old and potentially volitile as any place in the world.

2 other articles that put an interesting spin on the fiighting going on in Georgia -
Top McCain adviser was lobbyist for Republic of Georgia
@DailyKos
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/8/9/16183/70040

Georgia opposition leader dies suddenly in London
(from February, 2008)
@Mail & Guardian
http://www.mg.co.za/article/2008-02-13-geo...denly-in-london
JFK
Up to the minute news from around the globe may be found with this search.

http://www.altavista.com/news/results?q=Ge...2&sort=date

wink.gif
grizz
Might as well toss in this video from a Russian that's making the rounds online.

Sanders
Great link, JFK thumbsup.gif
Devilsadvocate
I wonder if there's any way to get the actual wording of that US-Georgia defense pact ?
Edit:
I found a website belonging to the Georgian parliament; a separate 'doc'-document deal with international treaties signed during 2004.
See "Agreements and Treaties ratified by Parliament 2004 Year The ..."

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=In...Search&meta=

I have not been able to open that document, however.

The website of the Georgian parliament is found here:

http://chairman.parliament.ge/index.php?la...NG&sec_id=1

(English version)
Devilsadvocate
Meanwhile, a few details about the present US-ambassador to the United Nations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zalmay_Khalilzad

Career history In 1984 Khalilzad accepted a one-year Council on Foreign Relations fellowship to join the State Department, where he worked for Paul Wolfowitz, then the Director of Policy Planning.

From 1985 to 1989, Khalilzad served in President Ronald Reagan's Administration as a senior State Department official advising on the Soviet war in Afghanistan and the Iran–Iraq War. During this time he was the State Department's Special Advisor on Afghanistan to Undersecretary of State Michael H. Armacost. In this role he developed and guided the international program to promote the merits of a Mujahideen-led Afghanistan to oust the Soviet occupation. From 1990-1992, Khalilzad served under President George H. W. Bush in the Defense Department as Deputy Undersecretary for Policy Planning.
Devilsadvocate
That defense-agreement seems to be mentioned here:

http://www.parliament.ge/index.php?lang_id...&sec_id=544

http://www.parliament.ge/files/544_7353_636443_2003-agr.doc

Treaty signed 21.03.2003:

"The Ratification On Agreement On Cooperation in Military Sphere between the Governments of Georgia and USA".
Regrettably, there's nothing about the wording of that agreement.
But if I'm not mistaken, there may be a similar agreement with Britain.
(See last on that list- dated 16.09.2004):

Titled:
The Ratification "On Reciprocal Understanding Memorandum On Military Trainings and Support by the Assumer Country between Georgia and the Great Britain and the Northern Ireland"
Sanders
2 late developments -

Reports: Russia sinks Georgian ship trying to attack Russian navy ships
AP
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...icle%2FShowFull

US begins flying Georgian troops home from Iraq
By KIM GAMEL – AP
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i3OehGI...6ewA4AD92FHP7O0

Both of these were just posted over at WhatReallyHappened, and I totally agree with Mike Rivero regarding the idea of the US military transporting Georgian troops home from Iraq. Does the US Defense Department have all of their screws loose!?? It's one thing to have 127 US military advisors operating in Georgia, but to overtly transport Georgian troops in US planes so they can fight the Russians borders on insanity. It's a good way to get the US directly involved. ...I'm flabergasted.
Devilsadvocate
Signing a binding international agreement regarding mutual defense with a madman is insane, Sanders.
I'm not flabbergasted anymore...
I just hope the US-military know what they are getting this world into, should they decide to accept this mission.
Sanders
QUOTE (Devilsadvocate @ Aug 14 2008, 06:13 PM) *
I just hope the US-military know what they are getting this world into, should they decide to accept this mission.

According to the article, they are doing it. doh1.gif

I'm worried that they (Cheney and the Joint Chiefs that are in his corner) DO know what they are getting into ... that's why I'm surprised. Should a US plane get shot down carrying Georgian troops, that thrusts the US in the middle of this, as opposed to participating through Georgia as a surrogate. Doesn't Georgia have their own planes they can ferry troops with? Why would the US agree to use their planes for this with a war under way? Are the Joint Chiefs so stupid they don't see the danger, or are they so reckless they don't care, or are they insane enough to welcome a head to head confrontation with Russia!?? Am I reading too much into this?

Either way, this looks alot like a hand-basket we're in and I think I just saw a sign that said hell up ahead.
Sanders
Devilsadvocate
Oh, I fear you are right about Cheney and his cohorts.
What I meant is that I hope the military will think twice before accepting the total destruction of both the US and Russia as some kind of 'evil neccessity', and refuse to go beyond a certain point.

That agreement can be seen as binding; I get grey hair when I think about George Bush being the one who can decide if it's binding enough or not.
But the military brass can still always refuse to simply carry out orders, if they decide that the consequences are not in the interest of the American nation...

On another point:
Is there any alternative to youtube ?
Ever since that courtcase a while back, videos seem to dissappear rather quickly...
P45
Thanks Painter and others for the background to this.
Devilsadvocate
Sorry. I believe we don't do 'Aryan Nations' on this website.
Would someone please delete those links?
They offend my sense of good taste... blech.gif

Edit:
In case anyone is wondering:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Steele

(BTW: I'm German salute.gif )
Leslie Landry
Putin: Georgia's actions are criminal, whereas Russia's actions are absolutely legitimate

Russian news reports say that Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has arrived in a region that neighbors South Ossetia, where the armed conflict is taking place.

They say Putin is visiting the city of Vladikavkaz, the provincial capital of the region of North Ossetia that neighbors South Ossetia.

Also read: War between Russia and Georgia orchestrated from USA

Putin said at a work meeting in Vladikavkaz that he could not imagine how it could be possible to make South Ossetia become a part of Georgia afterwards.

"Georgia's actions are criminal, whereas Russia's actions are absolutely legitimate," the Russian Prime Minister said.

Putin urged the Georgian administration to immediately end aggression in South Ossetia.

"The actions of the Georgian authorities in South Ossetia are obviously a crime. It is a crime against its own people, first and foremost," Putin stated.

"A deadly blow has been struck on the territorial integrity of Georgia itself, which implies huge damage to its state structure," Putin emphasized.

"The aggression has resulted in numerous victims including those among civilians and has virtually led to a humanitarian catastrophe," he said.

The Russian PM stressed out that Russia would always treat the Georgian nation with great respect, as a brotherly nation, despite the current tragic events.

"Time will pass and the people of Georgia will give their objective estimations to the actions of the incumbent administration," Putin said.

Putin believes that Georgia's aspiration to become a member of NATO is not based on Georgia's wish to become a part of the global international security system and contribute to the strengthening of international peace.

"It is based on an attempt of the Georgian administration to get other countries involved in its bloody affairs," he said.

Russia 's actions in South Ossetia are absolutely grounded and legitimate, Putin said.

"In accordance with international agreements, including the agreement of 1999, Russia does not only execute peacemaking functions, but is obliged, in case one party breaks the cease-fire agreement, to defend the other party, which is exactly what we are doing in case with South Ossetia," Putin stated.

Russia has been playing a positive and stabilizing role in the Caucasus for ages, Putin said.

"We perfectly realize what world we live in today. We will strive for fair and peaceful solutions of all conflicting situations, which we inherited from the past," the head of the Russian government said.

http://english.pravda.ru/hotspots/conflict...putin_georgia-0
Devilsadvocate
About Edgar Steele-
I found out about him when I looked up that book which is advertised on that site, written by the author of that article (...and which I'm not even going to credit by giving its title).
The article itself is designed so as to not arouse too much suspicion, I think; I haven't checked out the rest of the site, so I can't say anything about it.
Interesting that people like him seem to take an interest in 'conspiracy-theories'...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.