Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flight 93... Research/timelines
Pilots For 9/11 Truth Forum > Flight Number > United 93
The Story Begins Here

"Eight miles away in New Baltimore, Melanie Hankinson said she found singed papers and other light debris from the crash, including pages from Hemispheres Magazine, United's in-flight magazine. Stoe said authorities initially insisted crash debris could not have traveled over a mountain ridge more than eight miles from the crash.
Comment: Secondary Debris floated miles away on this breeze? At the time of the crash? But it did not do that at the Pentagon Crash? Or other similar crashes?

The NTSB says it is not only plausible, but probable," said [FBI Agent] Crowley.

9/12/2001 !.....come on! do airplane crashes look like this?

Ziad Jarrah, 26, was born in the Bekaa Valley of Lebanon just as the nation was beginning to unravel into civil war. A Sunni Muslim, he was educated in Christian schools and sent to Hamburg, Germany, to study. It was there he met Mohamed Atta, the apparent ringleader of the Sept. 11 attacks

Ahmed Al Haznawi, who occasionally shared a home with Jarrah in South Florida, was in his early 20s. Born in Baljurshi, Saudi Arabia, he was the son of prayer leader at his local mosque.

Saeed Al Ghamdi is a cypher to authorities. They know almost nothing of the young man and are uncertain if his name -- a common one in the Middle East -- was an alias.

Ahmed Al Nami, 23, studied Islamic Law at King Khaled University in Abha, Saudi Arabia. His family said he vanished while on pilgrimage

Flight 93 Timeline

The following timeline is for United Airlines flight 93, scheduled to fly from Newark International Airport to San Francisco. The flight crashed in Pennsylvania.

This Pittsburgh Post Gazette has added a great timeline on 10/29/01 here. Read it.

--8:42 a.m.: United Airlines flight 93 takes off from Newark International Airport. (40 minute delay from schedule 8:02)

--9:16 a.m.: FAA informs NORAD that United Airlines flight 93 may have been hijacked. (reported as 9:20 am in Pittsburgh Post Gazette. 2 Airliners have crashed - Fighters have been scrambled already... the Air Force has 55 minutes to get there before Flight 93 goes down)

-- 9:30 a.m., six minutes after receiving their orders from the
defense sector, code-named Huntress, three F-16's were airborne, according to the Norad timeline.

Then the pilots received the most surreal order of the awful
morning. "A person came on the radio," General Haugen said, "and identified themselves as being with the Secret Service and he said, `I want you to protect the White House at all costs.' "

Tuesday October 16 12:06 AM EDT
'We Have Some Planes,' Hijacker Told Controller
By MATTHEW L. WALD with KEVIN SACK The New York Times

--9:35 a.m.: Flight 93 files a new flight plan, reverses course and heads towards Washington D.C. - presumably the White House.

--9:40 a.m.: Transponder signal from United flight 93 ceases and radar contact is lost. (still got 1/2 hour to get there)

--9:58 a.m. Todd Beamer's last call ends and fight begins. All cell calls end near this time.

--10:02 a.m.: After a review of radar tapes, a radar signal is detected near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

-- 10:04 a.m. Johnstown-Cambria County Airport reports the plane is 15 miles south ad coming fast.

--10:06 a.m. Flight 93 Crashes near Shanksville, 124 miles from Washington D.C. 15 to 20 minutes away at 500mph. 7 to 10 minutes from D.C. at 1000mph. Remember, F-16 top speed is 1800mph and we had 3 F-16's aloft at 9:30am.

Comment: Do you still think there wasn't time to get a Fighter there? Hello?? Listen to what a former Pentagon Air Traffic Controller says...

All those years ago when I was in the Pentagon, this wouldn't have happened. ATC Radar images were (and are) available in the understructures of the Pentagon, and any commercial flight within 300 miles of DC that made an abrupt course change toward Washington, turned off their transponder, and refused to communicate with ATC, would have been intercepted at supersonic speeds within a max of 9 minutes by a Fighter out of Andrews. Period. Why these planes weren't, baffles me. If we could get fighters off the ground in 2 minutes then, we could now.

Full Official Timeline

The informed defense officials laid out a timeline of the events surrounding the series of terrorist attacks as follows: (Times are EDT and reflect actual, rather than scheduled departure times of flights.)

--7:59 a.m.: American Airlines flight 11 takes off from Boston's Logan International Airport.

--8:14 a.m.: United Airlines flight 175 takes off from Boston's Logan International Airport.

--8:20 a.m.: American Airlines flight 11 stops transmitting IFF beacon signal while over the Hudson River.

--8:20 a.m.: American Airlines flight 77 departs Dulles International Airport near Washington.

--8:38 a.m.: Boston air traffic center notifies NORAD that American Airlines flight 11 has been hijacked.

--8:43 a.m.: FAA notifies NORAD that United Airlines flight 175 has been hijacked.

--8:44 a.m.: Otis Air National Guard Base in Mass. orders to fighters scrambled.

--8:46 a.m.: American Airlines flight 11 strikes the World Trade Center's north tower.

--8:47 a.m.: NORAD informed of the plane striking the World Trade Center.

--8:50 a.m.: United Airlines flight 175 deviates from its assigned flight path.

--8:52 a.m.: Two F-15 Eagles take off from Otis ANG Base in effort to intercept hijacked plane(s) after first plane has struck the World Trade Center.

--9:02 a.m.: United Airlines flight 175 strikes the World Trade Center's south tower (F-15 fighter jets from Otis ANG Base are still 70 miles away.)

--9:25 a.m.: FAA notifies NORAD that United flight 77 may have been hijacked.

--9:27 a.m.: (approximate time) NORAD orders jets scrambled from Langley Air Force Base in Virginia to head to intercept United Airlines flight 77.

--9:35 a.m.: Three F-16 Fighting Falcons take off from Langley AFB headed toward Washington area.

--9:37 a.m.: American Airlines flight 77 is lost from radar screens.

--9:38 a.m.: American Airlines flight 77 strikes the Pentagon.

--9:49 a.m.: F-16 fighter jets arrive over Washington, D.C. to perform Combat Air Patrol (CAP) over city. (The fighters broke the sound barrier and traveled supersonic at 720 knots to Washington, making the approximately 130 miles in 14 minutes.)

Comment: Would we really fly circles over D.C.? What is the AWACS for? I thought it tracked the skies and directed fighters. This was an easy mission for them. And would we really only have 3 (count 'em three) F-16's in the air. And what the hell happened to the F-15's? Could there have been 2 fighters over D.C. and the 3rd sent to intercept Flight 93?

An eyewitness of a friend of mine said he saw F-16's fly over the Pentagon 10 seconds after the crash. This jives with the NY Times article that has 3 F-16's launched at 9:30, 6 minutes after given the orders to scramble. That still seems way too late for me. You'd think they would have scrambled all available fighters much sooner.

In fact, Cheney says they knew of the 3rd Airliner threat not long after Airliner 2 crashed (9:02am). They had given the OK to fire around 9:15 according to Cheney in the Meet the Press interview, but the fighters weren't launched at that time? WTF?

Something to think about - after the incredible intelligence and military failure of Pearl Harbor heads rolled... but in these honorable times what happens? Bush says "Good Job"!

Q) What about the Cockpit Voice Recorder?

A) (CBS) The cockpit voice recorder from United Flight 93 appears to be damaged, CBS News has learned....

* note* links are bad, they were from 2001-2002, taken down for some reason, just referances to keep in mind and to check up on...

FBI officials at the crash scene near Shanksville, Pennsylvania, had initially been very hopeful of gaining clues into how the hijackers took over United Airlines Flight 93, saying the recorder had come out of the ground in "fairly good — condition.",1597,311011-412,00.shtml

The voice recorder would have picked up the last 30 minutes of conversation in the cockpit, unless the hijackers turned it off or it was too severely damaged in the crash. It was found around 8:25 p.m. Thursday, 25 feet below the ground in the crater gouged out by the doomed jet. It appeared to be in good condition.

STONYCREEK, Pa. -- The director of the FBI said that investigators "are transcribing and, in some cases, translating," voices heard on the cockpit voice recorder that was recovered from the crash of United Flight 93...It is the only functioning audio recorder recovered so far from any of the four hijacked aircraft...

"We recovered the flight data recorder here as well as the voice recorder, and we and the NTSB are in the process of transcribing and, in certain cases, translating, the dialogue -- what little dialogue there is -- on that voice recorder," Mueller said.

Secondary Debris Field

The Pennsylvania state police said debris from the crash has shown up about 8 miles away in a residential area where local media quoted some residents as seeing flaming debris from the sky.

But investigators were unwilling to say whether the presence of debris in two separate places evinced an explosion.

Finding the flight data recorder had been the focus of investigators as they widened their search area today following the discoveries of more debris, including what appeared to be human remains, miles from the point of impact at a reclaimed coal mine.

Residents and workers at businesses outside Shanksville, Somerset County, reported discovering clothing, books, papers and what appeared to be human remains. Some residents said they collected bags-full of items to be turned over to investigators. Others reported what appeared to be crash debris floating in Indian Lake, nearly six miles from the immediate crash scene.

"John Fleegle, an Indian Lake Marina employee, said FBI agents were skeptical of his reports about debris in the lake until they traveled to the lake shore Wednesday afternoon.

By Wednesday morning, crash debris began washing ashore at the marina. Fleegle said there was something that looked like a rib bone amid pieces of seats, small chunks of melted plastic and checks.

He said FBI agents who spent the afternoon patrolling the lake in rented boats eventually carted away a large garbage bag full of debris. "

Comment: If the debris was somewhat continuous, as you'd expect if the debris all originated at the main crash site, the FBI wouldn't have been skeptical, and wait over 24 hours until the next afternoon to check it out. It's only 2.5 miles away to the lake. But when they got there they rented boats and bagged up a bunch of debris.

"Fleegle, marina owner Jim Brant and two of Brant's employees were among the dozens who witnessed the crash from Indian Lake. Fleegle had just returned to the marina to get fuel for a boat that had run out of gas when Carol Delasko called him into the drydock barn to watch news of the World Trade Center attack.

All of a sudden the lights flickered and we joked that maybe they were coming for us. Then we heard engines screaming close overhead. The building shook. We ran out, heard the explosion and saw a fireball mushroom," said Fleegle, pointing to a clearing on a ridge at the far end of the lake.

Delasko, who ran outside moments later, said she thought someone had blown up a boat on the lake. "It just looked like confetti raining down all over the air above the lake," she said. (archived at - search Delasko from 9-10-01 to 9-20-01)

Comment: If debris was simply dropped from 5,000 feet - it would take a couple minutes just to fall straight down on the lake. They hopped in their cars right away - and still saw the debris fall BEFORE they left.

Witnesses say they heard the plane fly over, felt their building AT THE DOCK shake. The debris evidence also supports the plane flying over Indian Lake AND that plane was falling apart. This debris would have taken 15-20 minutes to float at 10mph and then descend on Indian Lake from the main crash crater. The testimony and evidence do not support the NTSB story that the debris floated from the main crash site.

In a morning briefing, state Police Major Lyle Szupinka confirmed that debris from the plane had turned up in relatively far-flung sites, including the residential area of Indian Lake. Investigators appealed to any residents who had come across such debris, in the surrounding countryside or even in their yards, to contact them, emphasizing that even the smallest remnants could prove to be important clues."

Szupinka said searchers found one of the large engines from the aircraft "at a considerable distance from the crash site."

"It appears to be the whole engine," he added.

Szupinka said most of the remaining debris, scattered over a perimeter that stretches for several miles, are in pieces no bigger than a "briefcase."
(archived at - search whole engine from 9-10-01 to 9-20-01 or read it here)

Crowley related that 95 percent of the airplane had been recovered. The biggest piece of aircraft found was a fuselage skin measuring about 6 to 7 feet. The heaviest piece was from one of the engines and weighed 1,000 pounds.

Comment: It's important to recall that every description of the main crash site is that the airplane was OBLITERATED. Very small debris was spread over a couple hundred yards. This is exactly what you'd expect to see when an Airliner impacts nearly vertically as Flight 93 did. Nothing survived this impact... yet a 1000lb fan was found elsewhere. It fell off before impact, just like Flight 587's engine that was found basically intact did.

John Fleegle, an Indian Lake Marina employee, said FBI agents were skeptical of his reports about debris in the lake [2.5 miles away from main crash site]
... said he climbed on the roof of an abandoned cabin and tossed down a burning seat cushion that had landed there. (Archived at - search burning seat cushion from 9-10-01 to 9-20-01 or read it here. It's unclear exactly how far this seat cushion is from the primary crater.)

Pennsylvania state police officials said on Thursday debris from the plane had been found up to 8 miles (13 km) away in a residential community where local media have quoted residents as speaking of a second plane in the area and burning debris falling from the sky.

Was Flight 93 Shot Down?

Comment: In the end, Flight 93 was ONLY 15.6 minutes away at 500mph (speeds from 400 to 600 were reported) from D.C. when it crashed.

Think about this - in order for us to NOT have intercepted Flight 93, fighters would have had to wait until nearly 10am before turning towards it. The 3 fighters (take your pick) that arrived over D.C. at 9:40am proceeded to do something else over D.C. for 15+ minutes WHILE we were well aware of an incoming Flight 93, then mercifully, finally turned toward Flight 93 and made 5-10 minutes progress - which puts them 60 miles out.

That is the Government position - and I think it's either untrue or the Air Guard failed to react as they apparently can now - within 9 minutes we are now able to intercept any aircraft according to Air Guard statements after 9-11-01. Considering 3 nuclear power plants were between Flight 93 and D.C., this failure is totally frightening. I'd like to think they got a fighter there. Wouldn't you?

2 F-15's were scrambled at 8:45 and arrived at the WTC about 9am. Why were the jets that responded BEFORE any crash so quick by comparison to the jets that responded AFTER 2 Towers had been hit?

Federal investigators said on Thursday that they have not ruled out the possibility that United Airlines Flight 93 was shot down over Pennsylvania, after three other hijacked airliners crashed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon

After the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, President Bush gave the military orders to intercept and shoot down any commercial airliners that refused instructions to turn away from Washington, Vice President Dick Cheney said Sunday.

"I wholeheartedly concurred in the decision he made, that if the plane would not divert, if they wouldn't pay any attention to instructions to move away from the city, as a last resort our pilots were authorized to take them out," Cheney said on "Meet the Press."

Bush was in Sarasota, Fla., at the time. Instead of returning directly to Washington, Bush was shuttled to Air Force bases in Louisiana and Nebraska before returning to the capital.

Another plane was in the area with no markings... (videos were taken off line - but this was a local news media crew on the day of the crash))

But if United Airlines Flight 93 had not crashed in Pennsylvania, the three North Dakota-based F-16 pilots from Langley two of them commercial airline pilots themselves may have faced the nightmarish decision of whether to shoot down the commercial airliner, along with its 38 passengers and crew of seven.

"It kept us from having to do the unthinkable," said Maj. Gen. Mike J. Haugen, adjutant general of the North Dakota National Guard, "and that is to use your own weapons and own training against your own citizens."

The military has not allowed the pilots to be interviewed, and The Times has agreed not to print their names because of security concerns. But details of their activities on the morning of Sept. 11 have emerged through interviews with other Guard officials.

At 9:30 a.m., six minutes after receiving their orders from the
defense sector, code-named Huntress, three F-16's were airborne, according to the Norad timeline.

Then the pilots received the most surreal order of the awful
morning. "A person came on the radio," General Haugen said, "and identified themselves as being with the Secret Service and he said, `I want you to protect the White House at all costs.' "
Tuesday October 16 12:06 AM EDT
'We Have Some Planes,' Hijacker Told Controller
By MATTHEW L. WALD with KEVIN SACK The New York Times

"VICE PRES. CHENEY: Well, the--I suppose the toughest decision was this question of whether or not we would intercept incoming commercial aircraft.

"MR. RUSSERT: And you decided?

"VICE PRES. CHENEY: We decided to do it. We'd, in effect, put a flying combat air patrol up over the city; F-16s with an AWACS, which is an airborne radar system, and tanker support so they could stay up a long time...

"It doesn't do any good to put up a combat air patrol if you don't give them instructions to act, if, in fact, they feel it's appropriate.

"MR. RUSSERT: So if the United States government became aware that a hijacked commercial airline[r] was destined for the White House or the Capitol, we would take the plane down?

"VICE PRES. CHENEY: Yes. The president made the decision...that if the plane would not a last resort, our pilots were authorized to take them out. Now, people say, you know, that's a horrendous decision to make. Well, it is. You've got an airplane full of American citizens, civilians, captured by...terrorists, headed and are you going to, in fact, shoot it down, obviously, and kill all those Americans on board?

"...It's a presidential-level decision, and the president made, I think, exactly the right call in this case, to say, "I wished we'd had combat air patrol up over New York."
--NBC, 'Meet the Press' 16 September 2001

Read about the mystery white jet if you haven't already.

Bottom Line - if it was shot down, would it have come down in a ball of flames? Witnesses report a largely intact aircraft coming down. Ground debris indicates the plane coming apart before impact. Hmmm.... on the military FAQ page I talk about stuff that probably belongs on this page - like cannon fire and the Nashua Air Traffic Controller that saw an F-16 hounding Flight 93 on radar.

From an email I received:....NOT ME...
Someone close to me was involved in the improvements of air to air missiles after Vietnam war and various weapon systems during the cold war (primarily on the target tracking part and not explosive part) but he does not believe any air to air missile has the ability to blow a 757 to pieces. The mission of the missile is not to destroy the airplane, but to simply render it out of service by destroying its target's power plant or disrupt its flight. This way, the missile can be agile and fast. If missile was fired it would simply hit one of the two engines on 757. But given the size of the aircraft, it would remain in flight for a short period of time.

Comment: 2 Russian air to air missiles brought down a Korean 747 in 1983. That aircraft had cockpit voice recordings by the crew for two more minutes after the sound of the first explosion was heard. This verifies that a 747 (which is larger than Flight 93, a 757) would not be destroyed in the air when struck by a Russian air to air missile.

Mystery Jet


SOURCE: The Record



BODY: As investigators continued to search for clues to the crash of United Flight 93, people in this Allegheny Mountains hamlet were talking about a parallel mystery that one man called "the damndest darn thing" he'd ever seen.

In separate interviews Thursday, five residents who live and work less than four miles from the crash site said they saw a second plane flying erratically within minutes of the crash of the Boeing 757 that took off from Newark two hours earlier Tuesday morning.

Susan Mcelwain of Stonycreek Township said a small white jet with rear engines and no discernible markings swooped low over her minivan near an intersection and disappeared over a hilltop, nearly clipping the tops of trees lining the ridge.

It was less than a minute later, Mcelwain said, that the ground shook and a white plume of smoke appeared over the ridge. "It was so close to me I ducked," Mcelwain said. "I heard it hit and saw the smoke. All I could think of was how close I came to dying. "

About a mile north on Buckstown Road, Dennis Decker and Rick Chaney were at work making wooden pallets when they heard an explosion and came running outside to watch a large mushroom cloud spreading over the ridge.

"As soon as we looked up, we saw a midsized jet flying low and fast," Decker said. "It appeared to make a loop or part of a circle, and then it turned fast and headed out. " Decker and Chaney described the plane as a Lear-jet type, with engines mounted near the tail and painted white with no identifying markings.

"If you were here to see it, you'd have no doubt," Decker said. "It was a jet plane, and it had to be flying real close when that 757 went down. If I was the FBI, I'd find out who was driving that plane. " Late Thursday afternoon, federal agents who spoke to reporters at the crash site said "there was no evidence as of yet" that a second plane was nearby when Flight 93 plunged into a strip mine.

Earlier Thursday, FBI Special Agent William Crowley said investigators could not rule out that a second plane was nearby during the crash. He later said he had misspoken. He dismissed rumors that a U.S. military jet had intercepted the plane before it could strike a target in Washington, D.C. In testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee, President Bush's nominee for chairman of the joint chiefs of staff rejected rumors that the military had shot down the hijacked plane.

"The armed forces did not shoot down any aircraft," Air Force Gen.

Richard Myers said.

An official at the Cleveland Air Traffic Control Center in Overland, Ohio, which tracked Flight 93 as it turned in the sky and tracked eastward from the Cleveland area, said "no comment" when asked if there was any record of a second plane over the crash site.

"That's something that the FBI is working on and I cannot talk about," said Richard Kettel, head of tower operations at the Cleveland center. He spoke shortly before the FBI announced it had no evidence of a second jet.

About 16 miles north of the crash site, at the Cambria County Airport near Johnstown, officials said they had seen neither Flight 93 nor a second plane Tuesday morning despite perfect visibility.

Tower Chief Dennis Fritz said he began searching the horizon for any signs of the 757 around 9:20 a.m. when the Cleveland Control Center radioed that Flight 93 was headed in their direction and was apparently out of control. Fritz says Cleveland control was urging him to evacuate the tower.

"On the first call from Cleveland, they said a 757 was heading in our direction at about 6,000 feet and descending," Fritz said. "They were repeatedly trying to raise the pilot on the radio, but there was no answer. " Within minutes, Fritz said, he began to move people from the tower but hesitated to abandon it completely because he felt the incoming plane might be in distress and need to make an emergency landing.

Shortly after 10 a.m., Fritz said, Cleveland control called back and said the 757 had veered sharply south and was no longer headed for the Cambria airport. Because the airport has no radar, Fritz said, he could not track the movements of Flight 93.

Around Shanksville, news that investigators found the flight data recorder -- one of two black boxes aboard the plane -- did little to abate a growing sense of mystery over the sighting of a second jet.

Susan Custer said she saw a small white jet streaking overhead.

"Then I heard the boom and saw the mushroom cloud. " Robin Doppstadt was working inside her family food-and-supply store when she heard the crash. When she went outside, she said, she saw a small white jet that looked like it was making a single circle over the crash site.

"Then it climbed very quickly and took off. " "It's the damndest darn thing," said Dale Browning, a farmer.

"Everybody's seen this thing in the sky, but no one can tell us what it is. " Meanwhile, at least one New Jersey family that lost a loved on in the crash traveled Thursday to a resort about 30 miles from the crash site.

About 80 staff members of United Airlines and 30 Red Cross volunteers are at the Seven Springs resort to assist the families.

"We'll be the shoulder to cry on, the hand to hold," said Jill Bode of the American Red Cross¬ local chapter.

Staff Writer Pete Caldera contributed to this article, which contains material from news service reports.


Comment: This was printed 9/14/01 and I first saw it November 16th. It is not on the Internet elsewhere to my knowledge.


At least six eyewitnesses saw the mysterious aircraft on the morning of September 11 last year. But the US authorities deny it ever existed.

So when George Bush laid a wreath yesterday at the crash site in a remote valley outside Shanksville, Pennsylvania, he was one of only a handful of people who know what really happened to the 40 innocents and four hijackers aboard the doomed United Airlines Boeing 757-200.

Those unimaginable final seconds as passengers showed courageous defiance apparently wrestling for control of the aircraft have become one of the defining images of the tragedy.

And "Let's roll" - ringleader Todd Beamer's no-nonsense call to arms - became a defining battle cry in America's war on terror.

But of the four aircraft taken on September 11, the exact fate of Flight 93 after its two-hour journey is proving difficult for US officials to explain.

What was the white jet doing there and why won't they admit to its presence? Why did other witnesses see smoke and flames trailing from Flight 93 as it fell from the sky, indicating a possible explosion aboard?

Or - and this is proving to be the most uncomfortable question of all - in the moments before the airliner piled into the black, spongey earth at 575mph did an American fighter pilot have to do the unthinkable and shoot down a US civil airliner?

Susan Mcelwain, 51, who lives two miles from the site, knows what she saw - the white plane rocketed directly over her head.

"It came right over me, I reckon just 40 or 50ft above my mini-van," she recalled. "It was so low I ducked instinctively. It was travelling real fast, but hardly made any sound.

"Then it disappeared behind some trees. A few seconds later I heard this great explosion and saw this fireball rise up over the trees, so I figured the jet had crashed. The ground really shook. So I dialled 911 and told them what happened.

"I'd heard nothing about the other attacks and it was only when I got home and saw the TV that I realised it wasn't the white jet, but Flight 93.

Ididn't think much more about it until the authorities started to say there had been no other plane. The plane I saw was heading right to the point where Flight 93 crashed and must have been there at the very moment it came down.

"There's no way I imagined this plane - it was so low it was virtually on top of me. It was white with no markings but it was definitely military, it just had that look.

"It had two rear engines, a big fin on the back like a spoiler on the back of a car and with two upright fins at the side. I haven't found one like it on the internet. It definitely wasn't one of those executive jets. The FBI came and talked to me and said there was no plane around.

"Then they changed their story and tried to say it was a plane taking pictures of the crash 3,000ft up.

"But I saw it and it was there before the crash and it was 40ft above my head. They did not want my story - nobody here did."

Mrs Mcelwain, who looks after special needs children, is further convinced the whole truth has yet to come out because of a phone call she had within hours from the wife of an air force friend of the family.

"She said her husband had called her that morning and said 'I can't talk, but we've just shot a plane down,' " Susan said. "I presumed they meant Flight 93. I have no doubt those brave people on board tried to do something, but I don't believe what happened on the plane brought it down.

"If they shot it down, or something else happened, everyone, especially the victims' families, have a right to know."

Lee Purbaugh, 32, was the only person to see the last seconds of Flight 93 as it came down on former strip-mining land at precisely 10.06am - and he also saw the white jet.

He was working at the Rollock Inc. scrapyard on a ridge overlooking the point of impact, less than half a mile away. "I heard this real loud noise coming over my head," he told the Daily Mirror. "I looked up and it was Flight 93, barely 50ft above me. It was coming down in a 45 degree and rocking from side to side. Then the nose suddenly dipped and it just crashed into the ground. There was this big fireball and then a huge cloud of smoke."

But did he see another plane? "Yes, there was another plane," Lee said. "I didn't get a good look but it was white and it circled the area about twice and then it flew off over the horizon."

Tom Spinelli, 28, was working at India Lake Marina, a mile and a half away. "I saw the white plane," he said.

"It was flying around all over the place like it was looking for something. I saw it before and after the crash."

India Lake also contributes to the view there was an explosion on board before the Newark-San Francisco flight came down. Debris rained down on the lake - a curious feat if, as the US government insists, there was no mid-air explosion and the plane was intact until it hit the ground.

"It was mainly mail, bits of in-flight magazine and scraps of seat cloth," Tom said. "The authorities say it was blown here by the wind." But there was only a 10mph breeze and you were a mile and a half away? Tom raised his eyebrows, rolled his eyes and said: "Yeah, that's what they reckon."

Light debris was also found eight miles away in New Baltimore. A section of engine weighing a ton was located 2,000 yards - over a mile -from the crash site. Theorists point out a Sidewinder heat-seeking missile attacks the hottest part of aircraft - the engine.

The authorities say the impact bounced it there. But the few pieces of surviving fuselage, local coroner Wallace Miller told us, were "no bigger than a carrier bag".

Nearly all the passengers were reduced to charcoal on impact and the largest piece of human tissue found was a section of spine eight inches long.

CURIOUSLY, military officials insist there was never any pursuit of Flight 93, although they were informed that it was a suspected hijack at 9.16am, 50 minutes before the plane came down.

At 9.35am they assumed it was heading for Washington DC after it changed course in a 180 degree turn and three F-16s - top speed 1,800mph - now patrolling over the capital were told to "protect the White House at all costs".

An anonymous flight controller said on the day that an F-16 was "in hot pursuit" of Flight 93 - Washington to Shanksville is seven to 10 minutes flying time.

A few minutes before the crash Bill Wright, piloting a single-engine Piper, could see Flight 93 three miles away, but was suddenly told to turn away and land immediately without explanation.

At 9.58am a 911 call - the last mobile phone contact from Flight 93 - was made from one of the airliner's toilets by passenger Edward Felt.

Glenn Cramer, the emergency supervisor who answered it, said on the day: "He was very distraught. He said he believed the plane was going down.

"He did hear some sort of an explosion and saw white smoke coming from the plane, but he didn't know where. And then we lost contact with him." Glenn Cramer has now been gagged by the FBI.

Also, according to sources, the last seconds of the cockpit voice recorder are the loud sounds of wind, hinting at a possible hole somewhere in the fuselage. What caused the smoke and explosion? Why the wind sounds?

The FBI's later explanation for the white jet was that a passing civilian Fairchild Falcon 20 jet was asked to descend from 34,000ft to 5,000ft some minutes after the crash to give co-ordinates for the site. The plane and pilot have never been produced or identified. Susan Mcelwain says a Falcon 20 was not the plane she saw.

FURTHER verification that some kind of military aircraft was operating in the area is scientifically irrefutable.

At 9.22am a sonic boom - caused by supersonic flight - was picked up by an earthquake monitoring station in southern Pennsylvania, 60 miles from Shanksville.

That Todd Beamer and others launched an assault on the hijackers there is no doubt. The brief extracts released from audio tapes indicate a fierce struggle going on at the cockpit door.

But nobody - official or otherwise - has categorically said the group got into the cockpit or that their actions led to the crash. Those final, agonising moments are mere presumption.

President Bush and his team have the whole story. So why aren't they telling the rest of us?



At least SIX witnesses, including Susan Mcelwain saw a small military type plane flying around shortly BEFORE UA93 crashed. The FBI denies its existence


The US Government insists the plane exploded on impact yet a one-ton section of the engine was found over a mile away and other light debris was found scattered over eight miles away


Passenger Edward Felt made an emergency call from the plane. He spoke of an explosion and seeing some white smoke. The superviser who took the call has been gagged by the FBI

THE F-16s

UA93 was identified as a hijack at 9.16am. At 9.35am three F-16s were ordered to "protect the White House at all costs" when it turned towards the capital. At 10.06am it crashed at Shanksville, less than 10mins flying time from Washington


Sources claim the last thing heard on the cockpit voice recorder is the sound of wind - suggesting the plane had been holed


The FBI insists there was no military plane in the area but at 9.22am a sonic boom - caused by a supersonic jet - was picked up by an earthquake monitor in southern Pennsylvania, 60 miles away from Shanksville.
Flight 93 Eyewitness Accounts

Crash Witnesses Accounts:

"I heard like a boom and the engine sounded funny," she told the Daily News. "I heard two more booms - and then I did not hear anything."

What does Temyer think she heard? "I think the plane was shot down,"

"It came in low over the trees and started wobbling," said Tim Thornsberg, a resident of Somerset County, who was working near an old strip mine when he saw the plane.

"Then it just rolled over and was flying upside down for a few seconds ... and then it kind of stalled and did a nose dive over the trees. It was just unreal to see something like that."

Eric Peterson, 28, was working in his shop in the Somerset County village of Lambertsville yesterday morning when he heard a plane, looked up and saw one fly over unusually low.

The plane continued on beyond a nearby hill, then dropped out of sight behind a tree line. As it did so, Peterson said it seemed to be turning end-over-end.

Then Peterson said he saw a fireball, heard an explosion and saw a mushroom cloud of smoke rise into the sky.

“I saw the plane flying upside down overhead and crash into the nearby trees. My buddy, Doug, and I grabbed our fire extinguishers and ran to the scene,” said Blair.

Eric Peterson of Lambertsville looked up when he heard the plane. "It was low enough, I thought you could probably count the rivets," Peterson said. "You could see more of the roof of the plane than you could the belly. It was on its side."

"There was a great explosion and you could see the flames. It was a massive, massive explosion. Flames and then smoke and then a massive, massive mushroom cloud."

“Normally I wouldn’t look up, but I just heard on the news that all the planes were grounded and thought this was probably the last one I would see for a while, so I looked up,” she said. “I didn’t see the plane but I heard the plane’s engine. Then I heard a loud thump that echoed off the hills and then I heard the plane’s engine. I heard two more loud thumps and didn’t hear the plane’s engine anymore after that.”

"We didn't hear that plane coming until it was right on top of us," she said. "Then there was a roar." She said the plane appeared to be gliding into the ground. "All at once it just stopped. There was no engine noise, nothing. Someone hollered, Oh my God!' and then there was a real loud thud."

Shortly after 10 a.m., workers on farms and scrap yards in Somerset County looked up to see an airliner flying low and erratic at an estimated 450 mph.

Bob Blair of Stoystown was driving a coal truck on state Route 30 when he saw the jet plummet "straight down." Barn windowpanes for half a mile around shattered as the jet dived into a reclaimed strip mine and exploded at 10:10 a. m.

A witness told WTAE-TV's Paul Van Osdol that she saw the plane overhead. It made a high-pitched, screeching sound. The plane then made a sharp, 90-degree downward turn and crashed.

Bob Blair was completing a routine drive to Shade Creek just after 10 a.m. Tuesday, when he saw a huge silver plane fly past him just above the treetops and crash into the woods along Lambertsville Road.
Blair, of Stoystown, a driver with Jim Barron Trucking of Somerset, was traveling in a coal truck along with Doug Miller of Somerset, when they saw the plane spiraling to the ground and then explode on the outskirts of Lambertsville.
“I saw the plane flying upside down overhead and crash into the nearby trees. My buddy, Doug, and I grabbed our fire extinguishers and ran to the scene,” said Blair.

Another witness, Michael Merringer, said he was out on a mountain bike ride with his wife, Amy, about two miles from the crash site.

"(I) heard the engine gun two different times," he said. "(I) heard a loud bang and the windows of the houses all around rattled."

Larry Williams, a former state police trooper who is now a private investigator, was golfing on the 17th green at Oakbrook Golf Course about eight miles away when he heard the engines “roar real loud and shut off.”

"We got the call about 9:58 this morning from a male passenger stating that he was locked in the bathroom of United Flight 93 traveling from Newark to San Francisco, and they were being hijacked," said Glenn Cramer, a 911 supervisor.

"We confirmed that with him several times and we asked him to repeat what he said. He was very distraught. He said he believed the plane was going down. He did hear some sort of an explosion and saw white smoke coming from the plane, but he didn't know where.

"And then we lost contact with him."

Meanwhile, investigators also are combing a second crime scene in nearby Indian Lake (2.5 miles from main crash site), where residents reported hearing the doomed jetliner flying over at a low altitude before "falling apart on their homes."

"People were calling in and reporting pieces of plane falling," a state trooper said. Jim Stop reported he had seen the hijacked Boeing 757 fly over him as he was fishing. He said he could see parts falling from the plane.
I lost this link.. but since the witness name is there I've left it up.

Some witnesses reported that the plane was flying upside down for a time before the crash; others said they heard up to three loud booms before the jetliner went down.

"There was no way anything was left," Pluta added. "There was just charred pieces of metal and a big hole. The plane didn't slide into the crash. It went straight into the ground. Wings out. Nose down."

Bits of metal were thrown against a tree line like shrapnel, said state police spokesman Trooper Thomas Spallone of Troop A in Greensburg.

"Once it hit, everything just disintegrated," he said. "There are just shreds of metal. The longest piece I saw was 2 feet long."

Did a Bomb Go Off on Flight 93

The bomb theory seems pretty good. We've got witnesses on board talking about the bomb and heroes rushing the terrorist with the bomb. At least one of the heroes thought the bomb was a bluff.

There are two to three distinct debris fields which indicates the airplane starting shedding debris before impact. The cell caller locked in the bathroom that reported the explosion may have heard the bomb go off. If it was a small bomb it may have breached the fuselage enough to cause debris to hit the engine and knock the engine off the plane to explain why one engine was found away from the devastating primay crash site.

In the crash of United Flight 93 in Pennsylvania, the FBI has determined from the onsite investigation that no explosive was involved. Passengers on the flight said in cell phone calls that one man had what appeared to be a bomb strapped to him.

Another link dies - here's the original text.

Comment: I'm surprised by this, now how are they going to describe the debris field and the explosions heard by so many? No bomb? What does that leave them?

The black boxes were located at the main crash site. This indicates the tail of the plane was connected to the fuselage at impact. Black boxes are located in the tail of the aircraft. So we can deduce the plane did not break in half like Flight 800 did.

If the bomb theory eventually is the story that officially gets told, then I think it begs the following questions:

1)How in the hell did a bomb in a red box get on board??!! Did these guys just roll that baby through the carry on X-Ray machine and get a "thumbs up"?

2) What is different today in regards to carry on packages than on 9/11/01? Can we really expect that a bomb could not be carried on now?

3) Why did the FBI deny explosives were used? How did it know so quickly?

4) Was the explosion caught on the Cockpit Voice Recorder?

5) Where in the plane did the bomb go off?

6) How did the engine parts get where they are?

Latest Update-----2002! LOL...
amazing how these links dont exist anymore......hidding the truth must be a full time effort...

"There is a plane 80 miles out," he said. "There is a fighter in the area. Should we engage?"
"Yes," Cheney replied without hesitation.

Cheney ordered Flight 93 to be shot down at 9:55: 2002Jan26

Biggest piece of Flight 93 found in a pond 2,500 feet away (mistakenly reported as yards) (1/2 mile):

Heaviest piece (in tact engine fan) of Flight 93 found 600 yards away:

Pieces found everywhere up to 5 miles away, and fell on houses in Indian Lake like acorns:

Willow Grove, PA's 111st Fighting Group has Cessna OA-37B Dragonflies (small armed jet) (photo):

Toledo's 112th fighting squad's primary mission is to have combat ready F-16's capable of deploying in minimum response time:

3-25-02 FBI to allow families to hear the cockpit voice recorder. Flight attendant possibly stabbed as she fought back. (Finally! Still not nearly good enough for me... I want radar tracking, debris field map, Flight Data info etc.)

3-20-02 F-16 spotted leaving Toledo at 9am on 9-11-01
Click here

2-21-02 Correction of 1-31-02: Payne Stewart's Lear Jet was actually intercepted by an F-16 1 hour and 14 minutes after the last known transmission. It is unclear from the report at what time the request for an intercept was made, and how long it took from that time to get a fighter there. The time discrepancy comes from a time zone change in the report the original reporter I got the story from seemingly failed to notice. Thanks to an astute emailer for the correction. (this commentary not consistent with NTSB report)

2-13-02 Added a couple debris field photo links to secondary debris page. The first site shows the impact crater and debris spreading to the SouthWest. Secondary debris was found miles to the East, meaning nothing blasted their from the main site.

2-10-02 Here's a very interesting article on FAA reaction and intercept times.

1-31-02 Remember Payne Stewart's Lear Jet? An F-16 got there within 21 minutes. What really happened 9-11?

01-20-02 What if it there was another way to take a jetliner down? We've been training to do that, but nobody is talking about it. This recent Slate article delves into 9-11, jet speeds, tactics and discrepancies...

1-06-01: Created new Forum at I hope you all participate as before. Maybe Delphi will widen the audience for the debate a little. This site still is not easy to find in the search engines at all.

12-28-01: Server Crashed and went down for a few days. Sorry 'bout that.

12-21-01: The FBI has declined to release the Cockpit Voice Recorder to the families:

12-8-01: Added to Shoot Down Page: Comment: 2 Russian air to air missiles brought down a Korean 747 in 1983. That aircraft had cockpit voice recordings by the crew for two more minutes after the sound of the first explosion was heard. This verifies that a 747 (which is larger than Flight 93, a 757) would not be destroyed in the air when struck by a Russian air to air missile.

11-29-01 - Altered summary: Relatives of the heroes on this flight should visit

11-27-01 - Updated the heroes page to include info from the recent Newsweek exclusive. Important points are that:
1) The Investigators are looking into the possibility that the heroes came very close to the cockpit, it is unclear that they actually reached the cockpit door...
2) The terrorists may have gone into a dive to throw the heroes off their feet (as I surmised 2 months ago). The reporter failed to mention it would have worked.
3) The Families of the heroes would like to hear the unedited CVR tapes just as much as I would... but have been told to go to court (essentially)
4) The FBI still hasn't said the heroes were successful.
5) Newsweek forgot to mention the white jet, the ground explosion witnesses, the debris field, the engine, the 911 operator explosion, the F-16's that were a few minutes away and they didn't really account for 9:58 (end of calls) to 10:06 as far as I could tell. Crack reporting, well done.
6) Added the photo of the incredible lack of breeze blowing the smoke over the crash nowhere fast. I assume the debris in that smoke was going nowhere fast too.

11-24-01 - Added to White Jet page.

Two other airplanes were flying near the hijacked United Airlines jet when it crashed in Somerset County, but neither had anything to do with the airliner's fate, the FBI said yesterday.

In fact, one of the planes, a Fairchild Falcon 20 business jet, was directed to the crash site to help rescuers. The request for the jet to fly low and obtain the coordinates for the crash explains reports by people in the vicinity who said a white or silver jet flew by moments after the crash.

A C-130 military cargo plane was also within 25 miles of the passenger jet when it crashed, FBI spokesman Bill Crowley said yesterday, but was not diverted.

"There was a hole in the ground -- that was it," said Yates Caldwell, the pilot who was at the controls of the 10-passenger corporate jet for Greensboro, N.C.-based apparel maker VF Corp. "There was no way to know what it was .... I didn't know there had been a crash until I landed, until I was on the ground in Johnstown."

Comment: There must be two jets... clearly this civilian pilot with EXECUTIVES ON BOARD was NOT at the controls of the aircraft that was witnessed tailing Flight 93 BEFORE the crash. That plane was at treetop level within a mile or so AT CRASH TIME according to 5 witnesses in separate interviews. I'm taking a wild guess here, but I think they would have known what that 500 foot fireball in the sky was all about before they landed.

Another emaiI I received:
The unmarked white jet was probably U.S. Customs.

All communications and radar are available at March Air Force base which directs all U.S. Customs jets in the entire United States. So they would have known both about Flight 93 and the location of their own assets, which are airborne a lot - or can be airborne in less than 15 minutes. Customs flies Cessna Citations, they are white and generally unmarked. They are also loaded with video equipment. They are not armed. They are flown by talented military pilots and can fly very low both fast and slow or very high and very fast. Their mission is recon. They sneak up on aircraft. It would have been rolling cameras and videotaped the shoot down if there was one. Nobody really oversees U.S. Customs. U.S. Customs has eleven AWACS. Each AWACS can scan the entire Western Hemisphere VERY quickly, very clandestine.
Take a look around. As America's Frontline, U.S. Customs is uniquely positioned to bring immediate assets and personnel to homeland security.

11-21-01 - Added possible types of jets to mysterious white plane story. I'm working on a "Letters" page that samples what you guys are emailing me.

11-20-01 - Updated home page to reflect slower F-16 flying times. Still plenty of time to get there. Had an F-15 pilot write me saying he thought the situation would have been confusing and would have caused delays. He said he thought F-16 top speed was probably 700-800mph. In fact, top speed is reported at 1350 to 1500 many places on the Internet - but I heard with my own ears an F-16 trainer say 1800mph. These would be burst speeds and burn fuel very quickly.

Pick your favorite speed. Flight 93 was converging at 500mph. In my mind, at 750mph at least one of the 3 F-16's should have gotten there. Someone else on the net argues our Air Defense basically must have sucked that day. They may have a point... or we might not have been told everything.

Quick thanks to John and Ke KFI640AM in LA for having me on for about 1/2 hour today.

11/19/01 - Added mysterious white plane story not online anywhere else. Updated 757 info to indicate 757's DO NOT have any kind of flight physics computer to prevent overstressing when autopilot is turned off. This begs the question - would an Airbus, which does not allow pilots to overstress, have remained flying until it reached it's destination?

11/15/01 - Finally someone is asking around
Read this story from the Philadelphia Daily News 11-15-01.

"I know of two people - I will not mention names - that heard a missile," Stuhl said. "They both live very close, within a couple of hundred yards. . .This one fellow's served in Vietnam and he says he's heard them, and he heard one that day." The mayor adds that based on what he knows about that morning, military F-16 fighter jets were "very, very close."

11/02/01 - Here's an article worth considering.
"Aviation experts say that at this point there were three nuclear power stations between the plane and Washington and directly in its line of flight: Three Mile Island, Peach Bottom and Hope Creek."

It's a good thing the heroes were on the job because the National Guard is reported to have been flying circles over D.C. instead of intercepting a hijacked airliner with an unknown target..

10/30/01 - Just a quick note to thank Pat Campbell from WSTV news-talk radio for having me on for an hour this morning. It takes some guts to bring up this topic and think it over on the air.

10/29/01 - Updated timeline with new information.
Here's a 12 page story on Flight 93.

10/28/01 - Revised the summary a bit.

10/26/01 - updated some links that went bad. Hey people - if you need to see the original links you better save them now. We've had a number of articles disappear here. I also made small changes and additions to a few different pages to reflect new things I've learned. Nothing earth shattering.

10/24/01 - Added Sorensen's Article to links

10/23/01 - Added the Lear jet joke of a cover story to the Shoot Down page. Get the following videos before they are removed from the Internet. (they have all been removed from the internet as of about 1 month later. I did keep a copy on a MiniDV tape.)

Video: A couple eyewitnesses talking about the plane going in and the primary debris field.

Video: Governor says very little debris seen from air - just a crater.

Video: Plane traveling SW at impact.

Video: White mystery jet with no markings is strange to local news reporters.

Video: Crash scene described, forest shown - 300 yards away is showered in small pieces.

10/22/01 - Found a spooky pdf link to an afternoon special edition of the Pittsburgh Post Gazzette on 9-11-01 -- 10:36 Flight 93 crashes? update - link added (10-21-01)

Comment: If this 10:36 time is actually the correct time it really raises questions because all the cell calls ended before 10am. So did the Post Gazette call the locals and get an accurate time before they printed it as the headline on the front page? Or did they just make it up? Did someone report it to them wrong? I'm guessing it was a mistake.

I also added a description of the primary debris field on the debris page that describes a unique area that is not part of an 8 mile continuous debris field.

10/20/01 - Google finally indexed this site - and it comes back on the first page of search results for "Flight 93" when I checked today. Guess, I can get off their case a little. I actually tried to buy a small ad on Google and they denied my ad because they didn't like the nature of this website - which is understandable. I imagine it will slowly show up on other search engines now. We'll see.

10/17/01 - The bulletin board was down for a few days, now it's working again.

After about 10 days of not getting many emails etc. I've been getting a lot more in the past couple days. The counter shows about 1000 more page views in the past 24 hours, so somebody with a bit of traffic has linked here. I'm busy with work, but I hope to add some content and comments soon. I think I need to add a poll to this site - the emails I've gotten are all over the board. Very interesting reading.

10/06/01 - After talking to the real pilots of American and United Airline planes grounded that morning, FBI agents believe 12 separate incidents were planned.

Investigators learned from the cockpit voice recorder from UA Flight 93, which crashed in rural Pennsylvania, that a hijacker had joined the flight crew.,00.html
Obviously the above was posted by someone who forgot that United 93 was reported as safely landing in a Cleveland airport due to a bomb scare.

NO airplane wreckage at the aledged "crash site".

Pictures can't change their stories but people can.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.