Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermite And Molten Aluminum
Pilots For 9/11 Truth Forum > Study > Research
Beached
I am repeatedly told by skeptics that the molten metal seen at the South Tower was aluminum from the crashed plane. Typically, they will reference Professor Judy Wood's attempt to "prove" this point. I think it's about time we dispelled the myth.

Firstly, Professor Steven Jones conducted some experiments and came to the conclusion that it could not be aluminum because aluminum at that temperature in daylight would appear silvery or a faint yellow, not bright yellow.

Aluminum is an excellent reflector of light, which is why it is used on mirrors. However, good reflectors are also low emitters of light. Furthermore, the high reflectivity of aluminum causes it to reflect a lot of the ambient light. In a dark room, there is no ambient light, so your eyes would see only the glow from the aluminum. However, if there is any ambient light, some of it will be reflected by the aluminum.

What this means is that when you look at molten aluminum, your eyes will see the glow from the aluminum mixed with the reflected ambient light. If the ambient light is at a high level, your eyes will see more reflected ambient light, which makes the aluminum appear silvery.

Every object at 1000F produces red light; every object at 2000F produces orange light; and every object at 2700F produces white light. However, different materials emit different amounts of light, and different materials reflect different amounts of ambient light. Aluminum does not emit as much light as iron, and it reflects more ambient light. The end result is that the iron will have a brighter glow.

In order to fully understand this concept, a piece of aluminum and a piece of iron would have to be placed side by side and then heated up to the exact same temperature. We would then clearly see that the iron glows brighter than the aluminum, even though they are at exactly the same temperature.

In the photograph below the molten aluminum inside the crucible is glowing a faint red, but the aluminum at the edge of the crucible is reflecting a lot of sunlight, so it appears silvery.

This photograph was taken inside a building, so the ambient light is at a lower intensity. This makes the crucible appear a brighter red, but the aluminum at the edge of the crucible (where the light is brighter) is still silvery.

If the lights in this building were turned off, all of the aluminum would glow a bright red.

Professor Jones concludes the yellow liquid in the South Tower was molten iron. Since an ordinary office fire cannot melt iron, this implies that something such as thermite was inside the tower.

Thermite is still used today for repairing railroad tracks because it is a simple way of producing molten iron. Here are photos of people using thermite to repair railroad tracks in Australia:

http://www.aarc.com.au/aarc/news/photolib/...os_thermit.html

However, in February 2006, Professor Judy Wood and her student Michael Zebuhr conducted an experiment to determine if Professor Steven Jones was correct that molten aluminum would appear silvery at high temperatures. The results of their experiment can be found at the site of Professor Wood:

http://janedoe0911.tripod.com/Aluminum_Glows.html

The purpose of their experiment was to prove that molten aluminum does indeed glow when melted, and that Professor Jones is incorrect when he says molten aluminum appears silvery.

However, take a close look at their photographs. Notice that the ambient light is at a very low level. In dim light, every object at 500C (932F) will appear red, and every object at 1100C (2012F) will appear orange.

In a completely dark room, an object as low as 400C will appear dark red.

Therefore, this is a deceptive experiment. In order to be an honest experiment, they should have put aluminum and iron next to each other. That would allow us to compare the two metals when they are at the exact same temperature.

Furthermore, they should have conducted the experiment in bright ambient light in order to duplicate the conditions of the molten metal that poured out of the South Tower.

Here is a video of the stream of molten metal (believed to be iron) which poured out of the building:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExrVgioIXvk

Does this look like molten aluminum to you? Or, is this reaction more consistent with the use of thermite as seen in the following experiments...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1837033714967622806
Sanders
Excellent, Beached ! thumbsup.gif

Just to add - in easy to understand lanquage, Aluminum is a highly reflective substance (Reflective Index of 90% I think - anyone remember for sure?), so in SUNLIGHT, like on a day like 9/11, the light from the sun would make any "glowing" from the Aluminum almost imperceptable.

FURTHERMORE, because of its high reflective index, aluminum reflects it's OWN "glow" (hot-body radiation) BACK INSIDE OF ITSELF - so only a small portion of the light given off by its own heat gets out. (That is, if it's in a melted state - btw the melting temperature of aluminum is lower than iron or steel, so nominally it doesn't glow yellow anyway - it's more reddish)

Make sense? That's why under normal lighting conditions melted aluminum glows a dull, silvery-salmon color.

Yes, this idea that the molten metal was aluminum is NONSENSE!
HaylonH
The 'THERMITE' issue was one of the leading reasons I changed my views about 911. Thermite found at the bottom of the Twin Towers recieved the explanation of a melting plane*, but that clearly doesn't explain the pool of thermite at the bottom of WTC7. Do they think we're ignorant!?!

*that has to be the DUMBEST explanation I've ever heard!
Sanders
Just to keep things straight here, what pooled in the rubble of the towers was molten iron. Thermite is an incendiary, made up essentially of iron oxide and aluminum. During the reaction the aluminum steals the oxygen atoms from the iron, causing extreme heat. Molten iron is the byproduct.. Add sulfur (and some other things) to thermite and you have thermate.

yes1.gif
p.w.rapp
QUOTE (Sanders @ Feb 15 2007, 03:04 PM)
Just to keep things straight here, what pooled in the rubble of the towers was molten iron.  Thermite is an incendiary, made up essentially of iron oxide and aluminum. During the reaction the aluminum steals the oxygen atoms from the iron, causing extreme heat.  Molten iron is the byproduct.. Add sulfur (and some other things) to thermite and you have thermate.

yes1.gif

I was just going to post something like that.
Thanks, Sanders - you just saved me 10 min and I couldn't have made the point as clear as you did. thumbsup.gif

Beached - excellent post.
It is just a shame, that nowadways one has to explain such obvious things, i.e. what molten iron or led or aluminium looks like.
Even if someone has not had the occasion to do all sorts of experiments in his fathers workshop when being a kid -
It is a question of how children grew up in the last decades - many parents just don't take the time to play and work with their children and teach them some common sense.
Education has been replaced by Nintendo games and stupid action movies.

Actually today the "Nintendo games and action movie" - generation are having children themselves...

Scaring.

*back to finish my work and then spend some time with my children*
Zap
Sanders
We're lucky that planes are made of something that has a high reflectivity index, otherwise they might be able to get away with this kind of medieval dissinfo.

If anyone tries to pull the "it was aluminum from the planes" crap, tell them they have no idea what they are talking about. This molten iron thing is a bona-fide SMOKING GUN.

Proof of demolition.
Beached
Here's to Sanders for his summary! cheers.gif

A major advantage of thermate as a cutting agent to take out the lower core box columns below the targeted impact area and the perimeter columns at the impact area (both perimeter and box columns being hollow, so the thermate powder could be pumped in through the access holes) was that the criminals' disinformation agents could then promote "it's a natural phenomenon" disinformation theories as "explanations" for the pools of molten steel or iron and sulfidation of structural steel.

Retired scientists such as Frank Greening could be wheeled out - whether paid, useful fools, or loyal to these criminals - to propose various specious hypotheses such as "natural thermite reactions", "acid rain", "sulfur contamination from burning gypsum wallboard", "eutectic reactions", "exothermic reactions between water and molten aluminum from the planes", etc, which don't stand up to scrutiny. In order to make these 'theories' work, there are about half a dozen stages that are either impossible or about as likely as winning a lottery. All of these fail Occam's Razor.

The idea that "natural reactions" just might have melted the steel is rather like a scenario involving a murderer found in a locked room with a smoking gun and a corpse riddled with bullet holes. "But just think of all those chemicals in the body," says the killer, "there is potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, iron, water... Isn't it reasonable to suppose that these might have combined to produce exothermic reactions to account for the observed wounds?"

In other words, these disinformants will employ anything but the most likely and obvious explanation for these phenomena - i.e. thermite arson.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.